Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Hay, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Currently in the 38 I have a 69 327 with a single 4 carb. I'd like to put early corvette finned valve covers, as well as 3x2 setup for a more trad. look.

My question is this: It has later corvette covers with a PCV system. If I change to the older style covers, how do I vent the block? Also, the old covers have no oil fill. I assume then I need an intake manifold with an oil fill tube... does the fill tube act as a vent? Or do I need something else..?

Also, what is a good dizzy/points setup to replace the HEI?

Here is a pic of the current setup.
    327chev.jpg

2. newbie2speed

newbie2speed

Oil fill tube through the front of the intake with correct cap should vent.

Try to find a gm dual point distributor if you don't want to run hei. They like jump around at high rpm though.

I have a some early-mid 80's accell dual point distributors if you need one, the vintage gm stuff sometimes can get expensive.

3. budd

budd

i have a set of corvette valve covers i cut holes into for pcv valve and to put oil in, should not have done that as now i have to weld them up, it was a dumb idea i had 30 years ago, the filler tube in the intake was the breather. i like points to, had a couple of hei's leave me stranded, find yourself a good looking stock points dizz'y and rebuild it.

4. Wesley

Wesley

the early intakes that have the oil fill tube in the front should be fitted with a breather style cap. I had a great deal of success using a stock single point sbc distributor to trigger a MSD box. In the distributor I used the Accell heavy spring points set at .007" to trigger the MSD. I could spin the engine to 8600 rpm in high gear with out misfires and never had any kind of ignition problems in 10 years of service on 3 different SBCs (they dont last long at 8600).

5. das imp

das imp

Unless your winding your motor to 7500 rpm I'd go with stock single points distributor and update it with the pertronics internals . Looks period correct and stock ! The dual point are high maintenance and not needed for most street cars . I have run just about every combo on my car and the pertronics set up is by far the most enjoyable and reliable leaving me more time to enjoy adult beverages !!!

6. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I had the same engine set up and ran an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake with the EGR valve behind the carb and an oil fill tube up front. Works just fine.

7. didn't all the 327's have a vent on the rear of the block, that went to the seperator under the intake?.... the '68 283 i have has it. if it does find the stuff you need and run an inline pvc to the back of the carb and swap inatkes for the oil fill tube or newer edelbrock intakes have a boss you can drill for the tube.

8. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Yeah most had the road draft tube with the front oil fill intake when they ran the old script valve covers. There have been a lot of threads about how to set this up in the past.