Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 Fleetwood Limo...suspension parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasel, Aug 21, 2007.

1. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

Hey I'm looking for replacement bushings, balljoints and steering stuff for the front and rear of a '60 Cadillac Fleetwood. This one happens to be a Limo! which means it's one of 832 made!

to humor myself I checked summit for any moog or rubber...nothing. Kanter has a deluxe front end kit for $489 + my firstborn child but nothing listed for the rear suspension. I haven't called napa yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Zerk

Zerk

Is it the same as commercial chassis, or this-model-only?
    Reason I ask is that I still see quite a few '59-'60 commercials out there, may be somebody supplying those parts.

3. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

from what I've found it is the same as the commercial chassis, which should be the same as the standard fleetwood.

anyone know if there are suspension differences between the standard/commercial caddys?

4. Sea Horse

Sea Horse
    from New York

5. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

wow, thanks for that link. I should've figured there'd be a forum devoted to the one-off, special construction cars/trucks.

earlier this afternoon, I found out that both Kanter and P-S-T have OEM/rubber replacement bushings/balljoints and all that good stuff; and both for the same price, so apparently they just get them from the same manufacturer. The front end kit is about $360 for everything, which isn't cheap but it's not unreasonable for what the car is.
    The unreasonable part is the rear suspension...for 6 simple bushings and 1 ball joint (basically an A-arm with a ball joint on the top-center of the axle) is $480. That is not 480 including the 360 for the front suspension. That is 480 for the rear only...$125 for that ball joint and the rest goes to the 6 standard shaped bushings. I was amazed.

So, for now some shocks get replaced and some springs get cut. Next time around, the bushings and all that jazz will be replaced and airbags will find there way into all four coil-sprung corners!:D

6. Swifster

Swifster

These cars had two different suspensions. With Air-Ride and without. Judging by your comments above, I'd assume you don't have Air-Ride.

7. alvisoroadsters

alvisoroadsters
    from Cupertino

you may try rare parts. they have a lot of suspension parts 866-727-8740
    www.rareparts.com they used to be in the central vally also,mabey manteca or oakdale

8. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

correct, no air ride for this one. weird part is there's a switch/bezel on the dash for air ride but there's definitely no air ride under the rear end...yet!