Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T death of a WWII Vet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BtDt, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

I hope this reply is not too late..... The V.S O. should be able to scramble a color guard and an overwatch for a vets service. My grandfather had a colorguard from the local F.D., S.O., and he was the V.S.O. for over twenty years. It was absolutely the most humbling, and powerfull experience of my life. A bunch of crippled up vets, who in their heyday were the dogs of war and the right hand of freedom shuffled up tried to stand straight and through their actions( stood color guard ) gave my grandfather the most honorable funeral that I could imagne. I cried like a child......never forget the generation that gave us what we have today...............

R.I.P. and Thank You For Your Service.... 1939/1945
    Jiggs
    Toad
    Tommy
    Dahlman
    Eugene
    Elwood
    Gene
    Coxy
    Tommy P
    Keith
    The King Boys
    To all, you sacrifice is recognized every day..........

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Looks like you got the answer you needed - sorry I missed the question earlier. Your grandfather is in our thoughts - one of the greatest generations ever.

3. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

If you are able, tell your gramps how much my family and I appreciate his sacrifice. That generation truly gave up everything to do what was right and look what we have today as a result- freedom!

My prayers are with you and your family....

I do not look forward to the day I have to post this about my grandpa.......

4. Dirk35

Dirk35

Yup. You funeral Director should have the info. I work at a Reserve Center as a Full Timer, and we get tagged with these all the time. Ive done about 10 funerals so far, and Im the Civilian (cannot do the ones during the week except as a Reservist so have to take leave)! The other 4 Troops that work at my facility have done many more.

If you go with the VA, youll get older Vets doing it as volunteers.

Sorry to hear about your Gramps. Sounds like you are proud of him, as you should be.

5. Jalopy Banger

Jalopy Banger
    from Sweden

Be very proud of Your grandpa. If it was'nt for him and thousands and thousands other US soldiers that incredible day, the kosacks maybe had reach the Atlantic coast, insted of being stopped in Berlin. We owe him a lot.

6. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Might be a hard for a swede( nuetral arms suppliers to both sides) to understand a basic fact here,But the soviet union under Joseph Stalin was an ally of the USA,and were fighting the Nazi scum and Jap cnuts who were the enemy.
    i'm from New Zealand and we lost a whole generation in WW1 and WW2 ,thankfully the Americans joined in to save our arse in both conflicts. To many of us older guys ,Most of the older males we knew were WWs veterans . So to many of us ,the passing of yet another is but a reminder of our own menfolk who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

...They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.
    "

laurence Binyon -1914

7. grouchy

grouchy

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. My father passed in Jan of this year, He fought in the south pacific. I have the flag and brass cases from his salute. And very proud of him!!

8. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Call the local Legion post if your funeral director isn't up to snuff and they will find you one that is.

9. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Sorry to hear about your gramps, he will be in my thoughts and prayers. Definitely a hardcore generation, and they will be missed. They tore it up and rebuilt it. Gods speed.

10. Little history for my Kiwi friend.

I think our Swedish friend is talking about the fact that the Allied landings in France and the subsequent push to the East kept the Russians out of Western Europe. If we had not invaded the Russians would have, at some point, simply crossed the Elb and gone on to the Atlantic. And that is where the Iron Curtain would have come down.

Sweden was officially nuetral. But it was in no position to supply the Allies. Hitler told Sweden to cooperate or be invaded. It was an offer they could not refuse. But Swedish sympathy was with the Allies and they did what they could, behind the sceens, to help our cause. Swedes generally aknowledge that Russian domination of Europe would have resulted in eventual Russian domination of Sweden as well. And so, they are thankful for the Allied victory and the contributions of men like BtDt's granfather.

As a note, the Russians did not enter the war against Japan while they were fighting the Germans. They came in late (when we dropped the A bombs) and occupied what would become North Korea and the Northern most islands in the Japanese archipelago. They got a lot for doing almost nothing.

11. BtDt

BtDt

I want to thank you all for your support and kind words. Yes they were such a brave generation and so are the men and women serving us now. WE did in fact lose him this morning at 1:45 eastern time. He was a Brave man and a Kind Man..he gave his all for his country and to his spouse. He Will always remain in my heart and mind. I would give anything to be half the man he was!

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

BtDt, My Dad a WWll Veteran passed away last year. They say these Vets are dying at the rate of a thousand a day. The funeral director can supply the flag for your Grandpa's funeral. Make sure you have the military funeral he's entitled to. They will give you the flag to keep after the burial. God Bless your Grandpa. If youy don't mind shedding a tear or two, you need to see a tribute to our WWll Veterans. Someone told me to see it when my Dad passed away. http://www.managedmusic.com/beforeyougo.html

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Renewed thoughts for you & your family - condolences for your loss & the country's loss.

14. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

yep, renewed prayers for you and your family

15. Sorry to hear that.

Jay

16. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

To your Grandfather here is an old Irish saying.....
    Slan Agus Beannacht Leat (Goodby and Blessings With You).
    Thank You Sir for all you've done for our country and your family.
    May God Bless you Randy and your family.

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

My condolences to you and your family on the loss of your grandfather. He is now with my dad and thousnds of others from the Greatest Generation who gave the best of themselves for the country we live in.
    May we never forget.

Frank

18. BtDt

BtDt

Thanks to all who have responded, Today was the Funeral, It was very touching..the color guard the 21 gun salute and the entire service was very moving and very appropreate for this mans service. I didnt know and was not made aware (the WW2 vets are very private) But he was somewhat decorated..5 Bronze Stars and 1 Silver Arrow. Not really sure at this time what they were for , (he never boasted to bragged about anything). My Mom and Dad were very moved as was the entire family and friends we were also all invited to a lucheon at the VFW hall that My Grandpa was a member of. He came from that small town of Defiance ohio as a kid, went to serve his country and returned back to that same small town and Made it his home....No he peacefully rests there right next to his bride of over 43 years..God Bless you Mr Robert Clemens..God Bless and God Speed.
    Respectfully
    Randy ..Your only Grand Son

19. BtDt

BtDt

Typo .."Now he peacefully rests there right next to his bride of over 43 years..

P.S. I was given all 21 shell casings and have kept them in a VFW bag with the Post Number on it.

20. God Bless your Grandpa, and all veterans who served in WWII and all our other wars. My Pops was in WWII and passed away about 12 years ago. We had an Honor Guard as well as a man playing "taps" at the funeral. I can say, there is no song in the world that will ever stir my heart like the sound of taps being played at a veterans funeral . . . it is as deep as it gets for me. And the manner in which the Honor Guards do their duty -- shows the respect and honor that our country and every individual owes those who have fought for our freedoms . . . as they sure aren't free.

Thanks for sharing . . . give your family a hug from me and all your friends on the HAMB.

21. John B

John B

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. I lost my father in 2004, he to was a WWII vet. Some of my best memories are of taking him to the barbershop that was run by another WWII vet. There was always a crowd there. I learned young to sit down and keep my mouth shut so I got to hear alot of history from the guys who actually made it.

Your grandfather was a hero and will be remembered along with thousand of others by this appreciative hillbilly.

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Godspeed to him.

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am sorry to hear that, I take my hat off to one of the worlds greatest.
    They will let you keep the flag too (at least they should), have a display box made for it and never un fold the flag again. One used at a funeral is sacred and should never be flown as a mark of respect for the departed.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

Lest we forget.

I like your sig line, we seem to think alike (Refer to my sig line)