Register now to get rid of these ads!

Khougaz Roadster sells for $385,000

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Choptop, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Choptop

Choptop

plus fees at the R&M auction in Monterey this weekend.

225bhp, 286 cu. in. L-head V-8 engine with four Stromberg 81 carbs, three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle with semi-elliptic leaf spring, solid rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf spring and hypoid drive, four-wheel hydraulic brakes. Wheelbase: 106"

from the R&M catalog:

Ford’s classic 1932 roadster, better known as “the Deuce,” has been, and always will be, the quintessential hot rod.

The 1932 Ford Kougaz Roadster is unquestionably outstanding, with elegant, timeless lines that transcend its age. However, with top speeds of over 130 mph eminently attainable, it wasn’t just looks that counted. Cars like the Lakes-Kougaz Roadster presented here, were equipped with souped up Ford flatheads developing as much as four times stock power. With such power, most examples were driven hard and fast with this particular Ford being no exception. Running on alcohol fuel in 1946, this famous roadster topped 141.95-mph at El Mirage Dry Lake. Its builder, a tough, battle-tested former Army Air Corps B-17 waist gunner named Jim Khougaz, had his own way of dealing with the Deuce’s ‘barn door’ aerodynamics.

Khougaz channeled his ’32 roadster a full seven inches over the frame, then crafted a filled and sectioned grille shell to match. To compete with small-silhouette, more competitive, T-bodied lakesters, he faired the body into the frame, then fabricated a full-length aluminum belly pan. A flat spoiler panel in front of the grille helped keep the nose down at speed. Running sans windshield, with a full tonneau cover, Jim’s roadster cut beautifully through the wind.
    Although there wasn’t much time at high speeds to check instruments, Khougaz installed an original ‘34 Auburn panel, complete with a full set of period Stewart-Warner convex-lense gauges and a Bell fuel pressure pump. The distinctive finish was a custom shade of blue with dark red wheels. A pair of classic ’39 Ford teardrop taillights and a rolled pan finished the rear. For the street, Khougaz fitted a ’32 Ford windscreen that was chopped 3-inches.

After considerable experimenting, Jim built his own high-output 286-cid flathead using the best speed equipment of the era: a Winfield SU-1A cam, finned, high compression Edelbrock heads and a four-carburetor Edelbrock intake manifold, with twin Wico magnetos, then a Harman and Collins magneto. The block was ported and relieved, and all reciprocating parts were carefully balanced, (a specialty that later would earn Jim his living). The hood was extended two inches and the hot engine was enclosed with custom louvered side panels.

At first, the roadster was both Jim Khougaz’s street and race car. He built a custom column shift setup for the three-speed transmission, and installed a ’48 Ford steering wheel. As his speeds rose, the car became more successful and more competition-focused, until it was virtually undriveable as anything but a racer. After winning a sizeable collection of coveted Southern California Timing Association (SCTA) timing tags, Khougaz retired this car in the mid-1950’s.

Occupied with his engine balancing business and the building of a T lakester, Khougaz stored the ‘32 roadster intact in his loft for forty years, then sold it to Indiana dentist, Dr. Mark Van Buskirk, who shipped it to Dave Simard’s East Coast Custom, Leominster, MA, for a comprehensive, five-year, body-off restoration.

Although it had been unused for decades, the roadster was very complete. Simard was able to save a great deal of the original sheet metal. He and his crew fabricated a new belly pan that is a work of art. Wherever possible, they used original or correct NOS replacement parts. Steve Pierce, Gilford, NH, matched the original interior in pleated cordovan leather, and fabricated an authentic style tonneau cover. Viking Auto matched the paint to a sample found on the car.

Mark Kirby, Motor City Flathead, built the 286-cid
    flathead engine, with all the correct parts, including a quartet of carefully rebuilt and tuned Stromberg 81 carburetors.

The engine is equipped with a set of chromed lakes pipes that can be uncapped, or the exhaust can be routed underneath the car through a pair of ‘Smithy’s’ mufflers.

Debuting at the 2001 Grand National Roadster Show, the roadster won the coveted Bruce Meyer Preservation Award, then appeared at Pebble Beach in the 2003 hot rod class. At the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance in 2004, it won the hot rod class.

Van Buskirk has run the Colorado Grand and the California Mille. This roadster has competed at the Monterey Historic Road Races. At Hershey in 2004, it was certified as an authentic racecar, and it won a First Junior award. This ‘32 has won trophies at the Rodeo Drive Concours d’Elegance, at Eyes on Classic Design and at many other venues.

Numerous articles have included features in The Rodder’s Journal, Street Rodder Magazine, Rod & Custom, Old Cars Weekly, and Hop Up. This car is simply a kick to drive. Sitting at ground level, with the wind rushing by, and the powerful flathead rapping through its shortened pipes, you feel, even for just a moment, what Jim Khougaz experienced at El Mirage. It’s glorious. In 2006, the chopped and channeled Khougaz-Van Buskirk roadster was chosen as one of the Best ’32 Fords of All Time, joining an exclusive group of just 75 highly-respected deuces, and displayed at a special pavilion at the Grand National Roadster Show, earlier this year.

A feared competitor in its day, the resurrected two-seater has been a relentless trophy-winner wherever it has been shown. A comfortable driver, it’s carried Van Buskirk and friends to many events including the Pasadena Roadster Club Reliability Run (which it won in 200X), and there’s a lot left to do for its next owner.

This roadster is ready for its First Senior award at Hershey; it’s eligible for every historic hot rod show, all the 1000-mile specialty events, and it’s ready to cruise to the nearest Friday night gathering. The crisp crackle of its unmuffled exhaust brings smiles whenever this ‘32 appears. This car may be the most versatile hot rod in the auction. It’s eligible for nostalgia drag, vintage road racing, dry lakes racing (with just a few SCTA-required additions), hot rod road tours and more.

Opportunities to purchase historic hot rods with unquestioned provenance like this one are few and far between. The new owner will possess a remarkable survivor, a true period hot rod that’s instantly recognizable, highly-coveted and universally-respected. This is a Deuce for the ages.

2. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Some local people near my shop bid on that car till it hit $330,000.00 then quit.. They ended up buying two other cars for 200,000... instead... Crazy..... Jason.

3. Choptop

Choptop

4. such a awesome car. my favourite roadster! hope it doesnt disappear.

5. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Well, that's $3850 in 1967 dollars ;)

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

$330,000 for a roadster...??? Where's the sense in that...???

I must be waaa-aaay out of the loop then, piss-poor, broke as a top fuel blower and a lustful dreamer...and ONLY $200,000.00 for TWO cars...WOW...to be able to even think about that one...that's $100,000 for each...oh wait, I could've gotten FOUR cars for 50G's each...or...or...simply unreal to have that kind of money. I AM jealous...!!!

R-

7. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Man, I could build like 70 awesome cars for that kinda money...

8. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

A roadster with this history and in the immaculate condition it's in... is not a car anymore... more like fine art.

Way overpriced? Maybe. But that just means that people care enough about this hobby to keep the legendary pieces intact and valuable.

I love the car, and I sure wish that I had the cash man.

If I were Walton rich (Wal-Mart reference) I'd buy that sucker and put it back on the salt...where I'd flog it like a cantakerous mule...

That might sound a little irreverant - but that's not the case. It'd be like I was taking the old girl back home where she deserved to run again like she did when she was young and lively.

I bet we'd both smile.

9. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I dunno. That's a lot of money for a restoration that has a lot of unoriginal replacement parts, including the bellypan.

10. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i saw this car at hershey a few years ago and it just blew me away
    its not exactly how i would build a channeled 32....but boy oh boy was it nice!
    if i had the money it'd be sitting in my garage right now....i actually thought it woulda sold for more, but maybe its history isnt old enough (not pre-war?)
    [​IMG]

11. that kinda money would buy a fairly nice house around here last year....

a spose a fairly crappy small lot and house in cali...

as been said before having money to spend is ok until ya spend it on sumtin that someone else thinks is over doin it

12. turdytoo

turdytoo

Just suppose you've got that kinda money for Sunday kicks, What do you do for fun next? I kinda like chasing after that dream whatever.

13. Had I won the Big Game lottery last week, I would have happily slapped down $385,000 for the Kougaz car without a blink. Hell, the Ernie Immerso (sp?) car went for $400k+ a few years ago, and it doesn't have near the 'provenance' of this.

14. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

This is one of my all time favorite cars.

I had always wanted to see the car in person, but figured I never would. Last year at the Newport Hill Climb I turned the corner and of all the places there it was. I was blown away. The car has so many little things done to it. The article in TRJ a few years back is a really good story on the history of the car. When I seen it last year the car was pretty dirty, with a allot of what looked like road grime and some oil and other normal if driven spots on it. The side covers were not on it and the interior was dirty. I am not sure if some one had been neglecting it or if they had been driving it. Don't get me wrong it was nothing a few hours of work would not have fixed.

Beautiful car!

15. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

A great car, but I dunno . . . all that perfect paint and chrome. It's too refined for my taste; too prissy-like. But back in '49, now that's got me drooling.

16. silent rick

silent rick

so i'm driving back to the shop from the job site today and see a billboard up ahead with a 32 roadster on it. i'm thinking maybe an advertisement for a new hotrod shop. it's the khougaz roadster with the words "high performance dentistry" underneath it. van buskirk is using it to promote his business.

17. We saw it in Detroit a couple years ago.Pics don't do the car justice.

And if it's not your money,don't bitch about the price.
    Go build your own piece of history.

18. beatnik

beatnik

The fit and finish on this car is top notch, better than it ever could have been originally, much less the history, and to put it in perspective, it still sold for less then the LS6 Chevelle Convertible at Barret Jackson.

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

It will never see the road again.......

20. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Keep in mine what a serious, frame off, dead-nuts correct restoration cost these days- Seriously. Its big money to have EVERYTHING done professionally.

Now add the price of an original steel 32 roadster hot rod with real history.

I'm not saying its cheap, but it is reality.

21. Wow a restoration that actually brought mor money than it cost...
    That car is beautiful.I had never seen it before today.
    Love the look /channeld hiboy with hoodsides....

22. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Any Body that thinks a car done this well is NOT worth what was paid has NEVER built one like it.

I give major props to ALL BUILDERS doing the best they can with what they have to work with.....some REAL kick ass shit comes out of small shops & garages built as labors of love......group projects, were everyone helps out ( just cause they want to do it )

But

If you started from zero - purchaced every nut & bolt - paid every bill - made sure everyone invoved was paid a salery that let them live with some comfort - you would go screaming past that $ number.

I am not saying it's a good thing - just like condo's that cost 800K - it don't make me happy.

But It is what it is.

23. OLLIN

OLLIN

I COULD THINK OF A FEW THINGS...
    THIS IS PROBABLY THE ONLY THING THAT MIGHT BE COOLER.

[​IMG]

24. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

nice!

25. Bookz

Bookz

If that was a Grand Prix car or similar of that era with that amount of history it would be many times that in value. Don't forget you can take it to Prebble Beach and have one of the cheapest cars there.

If you had the money it would have been good buying. With cars of that quality and beauty you can't pay too much as what seems expensive now will be cheap next year.

26. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

I'm sure the dentist put it on the billboard so that he can write it off.
    I wouldn't want a car that is so valuable that I couldn't drive it.

27. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

At that level of finance buying that car was probably like spending 35 thou. The owner probably cares (likes) the car less than you guys. It's just a completely different field.

28. And that's a bad thing? I wouldn't want the Mona Lisa hanging at Walmart. A work of art deserves the proper venue.

29. Cars are tin (or whatever) boxes with 4 wheels.....their purpose is to be used as transport and/or racing..This Deuce is fantastic but Jeff's right it's gona be in some airconditioned garage next to the guys other "trophys" never to see road rash again...that's a shame.
    I hope who ever got it proves me wrong. At the end of the day the price is not that high, (out of my league) Bonhams have just sold a Falcon for over $400k and European "classics" are regularly going for more