Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hetfield's Buick over Kennedy's Coupe? WTF!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banjorear, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. banjorear

banjorear

Just picked up the lastest RJ last night. I was tired and didn't pour over it like I normally do. I know my opinion has been covered before and this is just my two cents.

I fully understand that the Rodder's Journal is a business and needs to make money in order to survive. It is certainly one of, if not THE best traditional hot rod mag out there today.

Although, I've noticed this during the mid-20's issues and now again with the #30+ editions that Steve C. has been leaning towards favoring some heavy hitters Hetfield/Hammet, Meyer, Orosco, Brizio, Poteet, etc. over some of the little guys.

Granted, some of the larger guys can do more volume of cool cars, but I just don't see how that '53 Buick got a cover shot & a real in-depth spread over that Kennedy coupe.

Not looking for answers, just thought I'd throw it out there....

2. Muttley

Muttley

At least you weren't subjected to the subscriber cover.

3. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

What does that look like? I was wondering what cover you get if you subscribe since it seems they do multiple covers.

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Muttley, let it go man, Like Elvis its history. Those mud fences ars sent to test us.........

5. Muttley

Muttley

[​IMG]

Surrender?!?!? NEVER!!!! ;) ;) :D

6. Is that Chachi's rat rod?

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang! Who stood on it?

8. Primo

Primo

In the other post about that car I couldn't really see why alot of people hated it. Now seeing it from the front I understand... That car is horrible.

Primo

9. 53chevy

53chevy

I just hope that plastic high horse you guys are riding breaks!

Ken

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

The best TRADITIONAL rod magazine is Rod and Kulture............
    I love TJR, but some of it gets a little too "street roddie".......
    I agree with ya on that Buick...... also, I don't understand why all that work on a rare car when a regular '53 Buick coulda been used just as easily???......but then, it wasn't my $$$.......still a very nice car....

11. Muttley

Muttley

Chachi wouldnt be caught dead in that pile. Chachi had a Vespa and was always trying to outrun some guy named Toad. He never could catch him until the day Toad ran into a trash can and bent the front end up on his scooter. Three days later he was beaten to within an inch of his life by Toad for allegedly loosening some bolts on Toads scoot. Chachi is know living out his remaining days at Shady Pines convelesent home drinking cheese burgers through a straw.

12. Ken.

We ride the plastic high horse for OSR, the billit aluminum one for R&C and the carbon fiber one for TRJ. If you're gonna wish us ill, at least get it right.

13. banjorear

banjorear

Huh?

14. Yeah, seems RJ is working its way toward the DuPont Registry clientele. I let my subscription run out because the last several issues were looking the same.

There's a LOT of gloss, lots of articles perpetuating the 32. I know they're an "upscale" publication, but it would be good to see a little more raw, working man's content.

1) Cover car, total cost well over 200K, multi-page writeup on who did it from chassis to bare metal fabrication. Usually not done by the owner.

2) Mild custom writeup about a (generally) mid-50s GM product.

3) Vintage article on some historical figure like Von Dutch, Iskendarian or B/W pics of salt lake racing, pre 1970.

The newsstand covers are better than the subscription versions, plus, I don't have to deal with a bent cover when it lands in my mailbox.

15. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I have an idea...
    Start your own high quality rodding magazine. Be sure to have the best in-depth coverage of hot rods worldwide. Travel all over the world photographing and writing about the coolest cars at great expense. Then only charge your readers less than $20 for a product that probably costs you at least $10 to make.
    THEN and only then you can decide what to put on the cover. Knowing Kennedy and how he is I'm sure he could care less if his car was on the cover. Matter of fact I'm pretty confident he, as I would be, is THRILLED for it just to be in there.

Ride on pink ponies, ride on.

Wait, why are we even talking about this? It is done and over with. Maybe Steve will see this thread and take it into consideration, maybe not. His mag his call.

16. What a great idea, Megan. Please send you subscription to my account in Lagos, Nigeria. Of course I will need some extra money to get to my grandma's bank account. You may rest assured of a very large profit for your help. Seize door for details. Call now for freak consultation.

Pink ponies rule!!

17. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

This crap about putting someones last name in front of the build, makes me want to projectile vomit on your shoes.

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>Main Entry: </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>vanity</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>Part of Speech: </TD><TD>noun</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Definition: </TD><TD>conceit</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Synonyms: </TD><TD>affected way, affection, airs, arrogance, big-headedness*, conceitedness, display, ego trip*, egotism, narcissism, ostentation, pretension, pride, self-admiration, self-love, self-worship, show*, showing off*, smugness, vainglory</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Antonyms: </TD><TD>modesty</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

18. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

That thing is a tragedy and a piece of shit. Nice workmanship though.

19. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Do you mean like Hetfield's Buick or Kennedy's coupe?

20. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Because saying "the Buick that was built for the lead singer from that metal band" just rolls off of the tongue.

Thats the way I read it. You say Kennedy coupe... I know what you are talking about. You say the Model A built buy that kid... the grey one... and I'm not following you.

I'm sure Mr Hetfield likes Skyscraper better than the Hetfield Buick anyways. I know I do.

21. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Yea, it all sounds like "Monica's Dress."

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

you guys are bitching about trj? wow...

i completely disagree... infact, i consider TRJ to be the best hot rod/custom magazine EVER published.

while i don't enjoy every feature, there is no arguing over the quality of the content and the editorial...

23. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'm not giving an opinion about any of the cars, owners or TRJ, but Steve usually does most of his work in the studio for feature cars. Kirby's coupe was shot on-location. He likes the controlled studio stuff much better and probably went with his personal gut on the photo selection.

OK, I'll give one opinion...Kirby is an outstanding kid with an incredible car.

24. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Some stuff I noticed about this car that made me wonder some stuff(and I'm new at this so all I know came from posts here. Not an expert or even close).

Is it safe to have an 18" Z in the back with no fish plates over the welds? Is is safe to have the torque tube as an armrest?

The friction shocks on it are pretty cool though.

25. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Agreed. I thought the selection was on. When cover photos come into play... its as much of the photo itself rather than the quality of the car in it. A great photo of a good car usually wins over a good picture of a great car. Its all about packaging.

26. JoeG

JoeG

Man I think some of you guys are crotchety. That car is fantastic. Very unique and the craftsmanship seems to be top notch.

Maybe some of you are in a rut and need to stop copying each other so you can fight your way outside of the box.

27. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

I think TRJ gets a little street-roddy sometimes as well, but then change my mind when I think how awful most drivers would look in that HUGE, HIGH-RES format. I'm between TRJ and Rod and Kulture as for my current favorite. I could do without some of the extraordinary high-dollar stuff in TRJ, for example, Clapton's Vickie could have been built in Boyd's shop, but I could also do without the Kulture portion of Rod and Kulture. I guess until someone publishes a magazine specifically designed with me as the focus group, I'll stick to them and thank god I'm not stuck reading Street Rodder's articles about the products their advertisers sell to save all of us from 'having to pick through old crap' at the junkyard and swap meets and actually having to learn how old stuff works...

28. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

And as usual, I ain't got mine yet, the mailman must have it. I don't even know what you guys are talking about.

B:mad:B

29. Rusty

Rusty

If you got the dough you can get on any cover

30. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

That's it basically, I agree. I'd like to see a picture of these guys and the suitcases, as they line-up at the editorial offices of the LA magazine factories.

I'm not completely negative here, I just seem to have a lot of built-up comments on this subject. I hope no one takes them to heart, as I know there are some real hero's being worshiped out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.