Register now to get rid of these ads!

'32 Roadster for a grand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by houseofhotrods, Aug 15, 2007.

1. In the background of the secound pic is an MG-TF and he's got that on ebay now for considerably more money, $7600 with several days to go. He's not giving that one away.....why the '32 ?
    Item #160146781453

2. It could be a 32 Ford Cabriolet.

3. noboD

noboD

There is the best part of the story, sounds like both parties are happy to me!! There has to be a story about chooseing the $1000 price, but it doesn't matter. They got exactly what they wanted, a happy buyer.

4. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

As the soap opera unfolds....... I had emailed the new owner, my friend, asking what he was going to to do with the car, keep it preserved, etc., If he would sell it and if so how much. Here's his response:

TIM,
    IAM GETTING READY TO TAKE IT APART.

HOPEFULLY, he is kidding with me, but that is all he sent me, all he said. All I can say to that is, wow. I really thought he knew the significance of the car, but like I said, maybe he is joking with me. Never has before........... I would give just about anything to own that car, and I know he knows that. Those popular three letters keep coming to mind, WTF :confused:

5. brandon

brandon

i sold him a pair of early style spindle mount 5 spokes ....he said he was going to cut them up and turn them into bolt ons.....same thing ...wtf..??? he had them machined up.....wouldn't ever know it if he hadn't told me.....lol maybe he will keep it a simple freshen up....:rolleyes: brandon:D

6. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

The purchase price is one story..The past is another . This roadster has some kind of history, and when the past history and pictures surface it may be worth 10 times the above price.., look at the interest here on the H.A.M.B. It would be great if the new owner would share this story with the rest of the world, with say Rodder's Journal ,Hop-Up..What a hell of a story.....

7. LUSK

LUSK

<TABLE class=fbOuter cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100&#37;" border=0><TBODY><TR class=fbOuterAddComm><TD class=fbOuterAddComm>Looks good to me! Here is the feed back!

Wonderful buyer, fast payment and pickup, great communicator, highly recommended
    </TD><TD class=fbOuterAddComm noWrap>monarchs56 ( 53[​IMG]) [​IMG]
    </TD><TD class=fbOuterAddComm noWrap>Aug-13-07 22:38</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD class=addl colSpan=4>
    • Reply by ts3x65mph (Aug-14-07 21:32):

GREAT FAMILY ! A ONCE IN A LIFE TIME DEAL ! THANKS SO MUCH RAY
    </TD></TR><TR class=bot><TD> </TD><TD>Ford : Model B (#160146781453)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

8. LUSK

LUSK

"Fast payemnt and pick up" I bet the guy drove 3 days with no sleep. Shit he could have flew over and bought a new truck and trailier and stopped in Vegas for 3 days bought 5 hookers brought it back sold it and still made some some money! AWESOME ! I wonder if he is HAMBER?? I am emailing him!

9. LUSK

LUSK

Lets "OVERHAUL" it for him .An bring him back a fiberglass coupster!!He wont even know what happend.

10. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I saw some pics of the car with some of his family on another site,
    along with a "caption".
    definitely a deserving score for the guy.
    Wish I could post it here it really adds another level to the story.
    tp

11. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Actually without giving too much away, it was less than a days drive, probably same day or next. He hired a rollback tow truck to pick it up, but it could've been a 3 day tip with the rollback and still been a score. I don't think he's a hamber, and if he is, he is a lurker. Maybe he will surface here now, but I doubt it. As far as emailing, give him some peace, he deserves it. He won't even answer me. :)

12. I didn't open this thread until I saw the post on TJJ 'cause I thought it was someone bitchin' about another Ebay scam...great story and congrats to the buyer.

Yeah, no shit,,,,,,,,

Bryan

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Good find for your friend!!!!!
    Glad he is deserving and that a dealer didn't get it. The deals are still out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. When it comes to deuces, 5 or 10 grand won't get you the fuckin time of day.

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I'd take it apart too.

Knock off that stupid windscreen and use all that money I saved to make it what it deserves to be.

16. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

OK girls and greasers, I just got off the phone with my friend - the buyer of the car, and here's the facts as told to me.

The seller of the car hadn't a clue of the value, it was just an old car laying in the garage taking up space. Nothing vindictive. After getting emails etc with higher offers, the figured they better sell the MG auction style - hence the difference in price. They knew nothing of eBay and had their daughter list it. They were people of their word and honored the price sold for. Apparently, the collector (who may not be as well known as I thought) who was after the car had driven by a few days earlier, and seen the car was out. He didn't stop. Maybe he just knew of it and didn't think it would go away from his 'reach'. Oops. So sad for him, so good for my friend. My friend is not a HAMBer, but knows of it, and just read it on the phone with me tonight. Maybe he'll join and give you his side o' the story.
    The new owner knows what he has. When he emailed me that he was going to take it apart, he meant he was going to start working on it. He will probably put in new glass to replace the broken, tires on it, get a mill and trans, make it run, start and stop. (yep - the windshield stays!!! Hurray. ) Then he will enjoy it, which is as it should be. I would love to buy it, but I won't dog him to do so. I just made my intentions known. I would give nearly anything to own it, but if he says no, I understand, and he has said no.

So here's what I am thinkin' - let's have some fun, and help him get this car on the road. Let's call it a collective effort - in order to properly preserve history. I will get an updated list of what the car needs as he goes, but for now I know it it needs a radiator (V8), mill - preferably merc like it had, trans - yeah '39 or like, tires same size as it has - I think 5.50 and 7.50, but with more tread, though not new, unless Coker has some they want to kick to it, brake parts, a floor - the old one rusted away, he was thinking Brookville - I am thinking vintage - and that's all I know for now. We could all be a part of history, and know we helped preserve a pretty important car. I live pretty far away from him, but am willing to do what I can as this kind of thing comes along not nearly often enough. If you know of any of these parts available reasonably, let me know. I am up for it, what do you guys think??? :)

Stogy likes this.
  17. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

So where is the "other" site so I can go look at the rest of the story?

18. 1fast32pistone

1fast32pistone

From The $1000 E-bay Car Owner: Hey I Just Want To Tell You All Thank You. I Just Finished Reading The Replys And Must Tell You How Great It Is To Be A Part Of This Great Find. Thanks! Ts3x65mph

19. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

It's nice to see there is still honest people out there.
    G-luck with the car

20. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Yeah Tim, wouldn't want the car to go OVER BUDGET with too many expensive parts since it would take about $60K spent before it starts going upside down! ;)

If the financial burden of owning and getting this car back on the road proves to be too great I will gladly help find someone to alleviate the situation and get it out of there.

21. 1fast32pistone

1fast32pistone

It Was Listed For Almost 15 Mins

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I bought a '29 Roadster at the Turlock swap in '76, had a similar windshield.
    I think I'd leave that on there...this car just might have some history.
    Anyway, it was done Pre-War, and did some street duty until '49...
    Call Bertolucci Bros. in Sacramento, they probably know the history of this one! (they were a noted Custom Shop in the '40s, George and Sam Barris did some small jobs there before moving to L.A.) The shop is still going...

Stogy likes this.
  23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That Easy Fix would fix any history that car ever had...besides making it look like another Brookville...

Stogy likes this.
  24. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

You're brutal Big Jim. :D For me, it's not about what he paid, or what will be spent. It's about helping it get done right. Nuttin' more, Nuttin' less. Up here in this corner of the world, we don't run across that kinda history very often. Maybe he doesn't want any of our help, but it would be cool to be able to find the right stuff for it a little easier. Items such as the floor could be done Brookville, but it would be cooler gennie. It was just an idea. Thassall. :)

Stogy likes this.
  25. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Welcome to the HAMB BP. Good to have you and the family here my friend. If you get a chance, do an intro up above in the spot for it, poeple will wanna know a bit about ya - and I KNOW you've got some good stuff to share here. How about some pics of the 3W?? Tim :)

26. flatheadv8s

flatheadv8s
    from australia

I'm from Downunder and have know the owner and his family of the 1k Deuce for quite a few years. He has been a good friend and is himself a very generous person. He told me of his purchase as soon as he won the car on Ebay and I was ecstatic for him as I couldn't think of anyone who deserved the car more than he. It is my intention to assist him with it's preservation in any way I can. Good on you mate.

27. sled

sled

congratulations for the cool buy....he deserve it!!perfect timing and plenty of luck!bingo!!

I feel very happy that still today this kinda price can be paid for duece roadster....yeah,smile !!!

it happens to me all the time in Mexico,for coupla minutes before /after you loose a great deal....i know how you feel,buddy...

to me,refresh it a bit but keep it as it is..it will be the 1000 bucks car on history...again,good luck with it!!! sled

28. Awesome score! Good to hear the windscreen is staying.

Stogy likes this.
  29. LUSK

LUSK

:D
    Tell us the whole story minute by minute.Play by play. Did you just sit there and think this is a BS auction or did you just pull the trigger.How did you find it? Do you have watch set? Sweet!! So happy for you! Keep us posted. Wanna double your money? :D

30. 72 stang

72 stang

Hey Clark
    You're not the only one , I saw it to and thought scam , long way to get it back to blighty though .