Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T death of a WWII Vet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BtDt, Aug 17, 2007.

1. BtDt

BtDt

My Only Grandpa is very sick and very close to death today. He was on Utah Beach in WWII and was a servivor..until now he is not going to make it past thos week im sure.
    My question is for some one who knows!
    I need an american flag for his casket..where do i get one on such short notice? and what size should it be?

thanks alot

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The military will provide a flag and a small honor guard for a Vet's funeral; I will try to find a contact point for you.

3. BtDt

BtDt

thanks bruce

4. Plowboy

Plowboy

I would think that if you contacted your local VFW they would take care of everything for you.

Sorry to hear about your grandpa.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

6. Yeah, what Bruce said........and you might give your local VFW a call.
    Many thanks to your Grandpa for his service to our country. My Grandad served too.GOOD men---the world needs another generation like them.

7. BtDt

BtDt

Ah good idea he lived in Defiance ohio..(how fitting)

8. My prayers are with your grandfather and all our vets. In addition to the above, American legion, Amvets, and also ask your funeral director.

9. BtDt

BtDt

yeah a death of a generation like no other thats for sure
    '

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

11. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

OR contact : Department of Veterans Affairs , just Goggle it and they will tell you what to do.

Sorry about Gramp's

12. Choptop

Choptop

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Local recruiter is an excellent place to seek out proper contact. Usually an experienced NCO.

14. Your funeral home should be able to get one for you. Also, they may be able to arrange for a local color guard (National Guard, Veteran's Association, etc) to provide military honors, to include properly folding the flag, at the internment. You should have a county Veterans Service Officer. If you can not find him in the phone book call your county administratior for a referal. The VSO can explain any benefits or services that the VA will provide. This can include internment in a VA or state veterans cemetary if that is desired. You can also get a cast brass plaque (very nice) that can be afixed to his head stone or grave marker. You need to make the call today, find out what is available, and discussit with your family.

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Military Funeral Honors

Military Funeral Honors
    "Honoring Those Who Served"

The Department of Defense (DOD) is responsible for providing military funeral honors. "Honoring Those Who Served” is the title of the DOD program for providing dignified military funeral honors to veterans who have defended our nation.

Upon the family's request, Public Law 106-65 requires that every eligible veteran receive a military funeral honors ceremony, to include folding and presenting the United States burial flag and the playing of Taps. The law defines a military funeral honors detail as consisting of two or more uniformed military persons, with at least one being a member of the veteran's parent service of the armed forces. The DOD program calls for funeral home directors to request military funeral honors on behalf of the veterans' family. However, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) National Cemetery Administration cemetery staff can also assist with arranging military funeral honors at VA national cemeteries. Veterans organizations may assist in providing military funeral honors. When military funeral honors at a national cemetery are desired, they are arranged prior to the committal service by the funeral home.

The Department of Defense began the implementation plan for providing military funeral honors for eligible veterans as enacted in Section 578 of Public Law 106-65 of the National Defense Authorization Act for FY 2000 on Jan. 1, 2000.

Questions or comments concerning the DOD military funeral honors program may be sent to the address listed below. The military funeral honors Web site is located at www.militaryfuneralhonors.osd.mil.

Department of Defense
    Directorate for Public Inquiry and Analysis
    Room 3A750, The Pentagon
    Washington, DC 20301-1400

To arrange military funeral honors, contact your local funeral home.

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

He is also eligible for burial in a national cemetery. Don't know if that can be set up quickly--they exist all over country, local equivalents of Arlington. A good funeral director will know how this works.

17. BtDt

BtDt

Ah great ! this Board has wonderful people in it. I just got it taken care of by his local VFW post in Defiance Ohio..cant thank the HAMB enough..It wouldnt be right if he died and there was no mention of his service to all our freedoms and lives..Great Bunch of Men and Women from those days and we have fewer and fewer of them each day to thank. Just didnt want to see him go out that way

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

19. Low Fat 38

Low Fat 38
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norton,Ma

Our local Vetrans agent will be of help. Sorry for your loss.

20. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks to your Grampa. My Uncle was on Omaha beach. I watched My Grampa, a WWI vet folded the flag at military funerals in my hometown and for a few years I played taps for those departed vets. When my Grampa died I folded the flag for him. The American Legion, VFW,and AMVETS, all sponsor military funerals. Chances are Your Grampa was a member of one of these organizations. It's always a very moving ceremony.

overspray

21. BtDt

BtDt

Thank you again to all of everyones help.
    I was able to forewarn the Local VFW that he will be soon be at his final resting place. They informed me that they will handle the military color guard end of his funeral, and provide all that is required to honor this Man and the service he had provided to this great country.
    I will never forget this patient, loving, kind Man..we just lost his wife and my grandma just 2 1/2 weeks ago..so he will be in her arms again soon
    Love you Grandpa
    Randy

22. Terry

Terry

Dude I hate to hear this. Isn't it funny how often 2 people late in the game just don't seem to go on without the other. My thoughts are with you brother

23. misfit36

misfit36
    from new york

sorry for your loss, because of people like him and my grandfathers and all other servicemen and women we can live free.

24. BtDt

BtDt

Yeah Terry he lived for her, really lived for her..he took care of her for the last 10 years ..devoted! she had alztimers..and really needed daily care. He let his health care needs go to help her and be there for her..now that shes gone, he misses her. Heard him tell her when we burried her that he wouldnt try to take too long before he was back holding her hand again..Dam..sad..than he kissed the coffin near her head and walked away.

25. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

God bless him.

He is from a great generation...but never forget, the generation fighting now are high quality as well...even if the wars themselves leave something to be desired.

26. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

They say the WWII vets were the greatest generation of them all. Looking at figures like my grandpa (fought in WWII in Gernany) I can see why this has been said. Truely an awesome generation.
    Dude - this may be an inappropriate time, but try to consider how lucky you are to have had your grandfathers company thus far. Many weren't as lucky as you. Celebrate him now and in the future.

Deepest regards.

27. Thoughts fro your family and your grandad. Thanks for his service.

28. Have you tried your local post office I work at one outside of boston and we have them on hand for family's that need them.
    george

29. Many prayers for you and yours. We had a scare last week with my Grandpa (Pacific theater island hopper)...

Jay

ps, inappropriate time, but is that the Oliver cabin in Cades Cove in your avatar?

30. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

A friend of mine provides the Honor Guard for Veterans.It looks like the troops have already pointed you in the right direction.