Register now to get rid of these ads!

Modified Murray (small) update: suspension- step forward... then back

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 24, 2007.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went back to Vegas solely to work on the Model A this weekend. Trying to get it ready to move down to Huntington. I miss sitting in it and making "vroom-vroom" noises! LOL! :eek: The focus has been to get it rolling on it's Firestone rubber bands so I can get it onto a trailor and into my garage. Made some progress, but also had a small set back that has caused some new thinking and will require some adjustments to the rear cross member and Model A spring.

So here's what I did...

First thing was first. I needed to get that rear end mocked up and body trimmed for the 4-bars to slide into the body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This gives an idea of how the 4-bar links will be mounted to the frame. The notched brackets will not be used except to be modified and welded to some tubing stand-offs that will slide all the way through the frame allowing me to use the bolts that came with the components. I will do an update on that next time. Did not get that far this weekend. Which brings me to the next task completed.

Next I made a spring compressor, tool, thingamajig for the Model A spring.

[​IMG]

Here's how I made it for those of you who might find it useful:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197102

After Andrew (half of "the Brudwich"... Dave are you still sleeping?) helped me install the spring... THANKS FOR THE HELP MAN!

[​IMG]

I noticed I made a serious miscalculation on the shape that the rear spring was going to be when stretched to it's resting position. The idea was that it would slip between the parallel 4-bars, but it ended up being a little higher than expected and the bottom of the top links were resting on the spring leaves!! DOH!!! :eek: SH*$$%&*T!!!

[​IMG]

NOT GOOD! So, I decided to move on to the front cross member so I could take a step back and look at the blunder, take a breath and think. After a couple days of thinking about things and chatting with a few of you I decided that if I reverse the eyes on the spring (Deaver spring in Santa Ana will do it for $100) and taking out a couple leaves, it should settle out nice and clear better when all the weight is put down on it. I will have to move the rear cross member accordingly (only tacked right now), but it should work out. Worse case, I cut the 4-bar brackets off the axle and make new ones so the links will clear. I REALLY don't want to do that though!!! Lesson learned either way!!

So on to the front. Need a front crossmember so I can get the frame nice and ridged up front as well as provide a mounting spot for the front spring. The spring will sit behind the radiator and the axle will ride in FRONT of the grille shell. Had to make some notches in the frame to allow and then I made a football shaped cross member to weld in.

[​IMG]

Swiss cheesed it to allow for radiator hoses. Not sure if I'll use them yet. Haven't decided how the radiator will sit in the frame. Either way I'll have some nice looking ports when done. And yes they will be sleeved! :D

[​IMG]

I set the cross member in the frame at 8-degrees and tacked it in place

[​IMG]

Mocked it up with the spring in place

[​IMG]

Next I started thinking about how I was going to mount the knee-action shocks up front. Have to clear the Hemi components, the frame and still allow for some travel. Here's what I'm kickin' around

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a mock-up with the un-chopped grille shell in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That all took way more time than I thought it would. Next time I should be able to get the suspension wrapped up... I think. Then I need to start worrying about engine and transmission mounts, shock mounts, a firewall, subfloor and trans tunnel, floor boards and body mounts... The sooner I get these things done the sooner I'll be making "vroom-vroom" noises in my OWN garage! Slow goin', but hadn't done an update in awhile and people had been askin'. Sorry there's not more to report.

Until next time.... Cheers! :D

Scooter

2. Moonglow

Moonglow

"Sorry there's not more to report."? Gimme a break! :D

Looks like beautiful progress to me. Thanks Scooter!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

3. SASROD

SASROD

That things coming along nicely, really slick job!

Just thought I'd show this "temporary spring spreader" thing I made to do a rough mock up to see how an A spring would actually sit. It is a little long where the shackle would be, but it served its purpose for some rough measurements as to how much my frame will need to be "zeed" and the relationship of the angle of the bones. Just some studs welded to a tube.
    Warning!!! dont try to load the spring pack up with this flimsy thing - just the main leaf in there).

(and dont say anything about my rear end being backwards)

Later - Scott

Attached Files:

4. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

keep us posted. And I thank you for sharing, because I have a very similar chassis in mind for my project and you're giving me alot of ideas and finding problems ahead of time. Keep up the good work.

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks everyone! Still LOTS to do! Almost an overwhelming amount!!

My rough list... I know I forgot several things too... I ran out of door! LOL!
    [​IMG]

I ended up in the Huntington Beach area with a single car garage. I'm working out of this garage still to get as much done that I won't be able to do in my home garage. If I can get it to the point where it's mostly body work, some light fab work and mechanical stuff (HEMI!!!!) then I can keep moving.

I'll keep you posted. It's hard for you to see what I've got up my sleeve for those notches and such. That will come soon. I'm a little worried about the settled ride height on this car. I have a feeling it's going to sit a bit lower than I had anticipated. Closer to 5-inches probably. Not a big deal for the rear, but it IS a big deal for the front since the spring is ABOVE the crossmember. Spacing it will only make it lower. (thinking out loud about potential issues I'm working through)

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL!! YES!! Good point! If I had to I could order the main leaf from posies for the front spring. They make that spring with standard eyes.

Pictures are good! Pictures and spell check have made me a horrible speller. Most of the time I'm too lazy to use spell check, so... well you get the idea! :eek: :D

7. DHD

DHD
    from Ottawa, ON

Scooter, I gotta tell you, this build is the most interesting one that I have watched on here, your creativity is astounding, keep up the good work!!!!!

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks sir! :) It's weird at least... LOL! I guess if I keep to the visions I have in my head, then it will be alright... or skewed like my vision anyway. :rolleyes:

9. lawson87

lawson87
    from Yukon, OK

looks good. do you have a full profile shot of the car? toby.

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the closest thing I have to an overall right now. Sort of a crappy mock up. I'll throw in another shot to help with the overall view...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Congrat's on the progress, little steps are still steps in the right direction.

Curious to know more on that quickchange, as it appears to have all the 'sweet stuff', did you have to stuff around with mixing and matching parts or was it all 'off the shelf'?

Again, keep at it,

Drewfus:)

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks bro! :)

The quick change is from Hot Rod Works. It was built with 48 Ford bells, Winters quick change center and their new differential unit. Dutchman axles (big bearing Ford) transmit the power to the wheels. Bells were modified to accomidate. Running 4:11 gears in there right now, but I'm sure I'll have to try a few sets before I really get what I want. Between the 6-speed and the quick change, it will take some playing around to find what goes good on the highway and what screams around town.

Thanks for lookin'...

13. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Good work, Scooter.

14. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Lookin' good--of course what wouldn't sitting next to my brother's ugly mug. Now if you really want your car looking good, you gotta take some pictures of me pretending to weld with my shirt off.
    --Dave

15. one thing to think of too is that your shackles will lower when you put some weight on them
    a reversed eye spring may be enough to gain the clearance. the spring is going to move in the same dirrection as the axle... axle goes up on a bump so does the spring... just a thought
    on a side note i thought you were moving to chicago
    tk

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I figured between the shackles lowering it a bit (1.06 inches at 45*), the overall compression and have the eyes reversed, should put me far enough below that I won't have interferance on the rebound. Also taking out a couple leaves (specifically the one that is interfering right now) ought to help as well. Shim it up to fit with the u-bolts.

Yeah man, I was going to move to Chicago, but had a change of heart and I had a great job opportunity in HB thanks to a HAMBer! :D LOVE THIS PLACE!

OMG! DAVE! There are children reading! :eek:

(I just threw up in my mouth a little)

LOL!! :D

17. You are definitely a hero. I always look forward to your threads, not just for the quality fab work and well-worded descriptions, but the clear photos as well. What kind of camera do you use?

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very kind words! Thank you! :)

I'm using a Sony Cybershot, something or another. It's big and bulky and has all kinds of buttons, switches and do-dads and makes strange noises, but I like it. The chassis tilts so I can get cool low shots or birds eye shots. Can't remember the exact model though. It's silver. :eek:

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been looking at these pictures off and on lately, thinking about things. I have a feeling this thing is going to sit a little lower than I had intended. LOL! Anyone think 5-inches or less is too low?? ...oh boy...

20. ratstar

ratstar

Lookin good there mister! Glad to see it moving along.

21. Nitrosquid

Nitrosquid

Nice job man! It's really coming along. I need to get my ass moving on mine. I still have yet to cut the body down. Slacking Big TIME! I love'em low, but it can suck at times. My buddies 28 coupe is about 3-1/2" at the lowest point, so the frame gets a coat of yellow added to it on speed bumps, and you have to try to go up curbs at an angle. We haven't yet, but one day we'll get stuck on something. The car just looks so right though!

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah... this is the type of stuff I'm worried about. I've owned several lowered cars and know the routine of spotting out parking lots with speed bumps ahead of time, knowing where the potholes are etc. so I don't tare the bottom off the car... I was trying to avoid that a little with this build, but ahh.. well.. whatever happens happens! :D I'll deal with it! LOL! would look sick real low. If something is keeping me from driving it everyday then changes will have to be made. I'm building this to drive. No trailor queen crap!

23. lolife

lolife

Damn Right! You see too many large go-karts at shows :p

Just to let you know, I really appreciate your posts. I scroll down slowly to drink the pictures in without triggering a grand Mal seizure!

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL! Thanks man! :D

25. Nitrosquid

Nitrosquid

Finally going to start bracing my '29 Briggs on Sunday and get it ready to meet the blade. I'm sure I'll be hitting you up with some advice when I am vertically sectioning the back to make the "C" pillars line up with the "B" pillars.

I don't think you'll have very many issues with 5" of clearance, especially in CA.

Tommy

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also be aware that you may have to make a small cut inside the "C" pillar so it's the same angle as the "B" pillar. There was about a degree and a half difference on mine and it WILL matter if you have it also. Ask questions all you want man! Glad to help! Shoot me PM's or if you want, PM me and I'll give you my cell number in case you need a quick solution/answer.

Leaving for Vegas in a few hours to do more work! CAN'T WAIT! I'm really hoping for suspension progress this weekend. The rear spring will probably come back with me for reversing as well. Biggest thing is that I need to get the suspension hung! I can't build motor mounts or mount the engine and trans until the car is sitting on it's tires. It may have to wait until I get it down here.

I will have another update next week of the progress. Hopefully no set-backs!! I'm running out of time!

Speaking of rear springs... I may have to cut the center bolt to remove a couple leaves. Do I have to use the stock type bolt or is there something conveniently available at a good hardware store that will work just as well??

27. Moonglow

Moonglow

Hey Scooter,

Can't wait to see your next set of progress photos, looking great. BTW, where did you buy your 4 link kit?

Take it easy.....

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought them from Art Morrison. Very comparable price, larger diameter than some are offering, stainless steel yet pretty light weight for some reason, the BEST welds I've even seen (suspension parts are generally where you want to see "the best welds ever". LOL!). They were very nice, quick shipping, and were able to answer all my questions on the spot about the construction, bushings, dimensions, materials, etc. Very impressed!!

I'll keep you posted bro!!

Now what about that center bolt for the spring? I think there might have been a thread about it. I'll look it up...

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER