Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did anyone watch Overhaulin ? (shoebox episode)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brickster, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Flexicoker

Flexicoker

I like how they (TV folks) are doing shows with more old cars in it, Rides, Overhaulin, American Hot Rod, hell, even ride with Funkmaster Flex showed the Blink 182 drummer's nice Caddy collection. These shows are helping to poularized the street rodding hobby, and while most of use here don't consider ourselves "street"rodders, we still buy products from street rodder companys and we all benefit in the increase in popularity. and many of the people on this board confessed to being gold-chainers and billet-freaks. So who knows how many of the newfound streetrodders will see the light and come over to our side. Just my opinion, i could be wrong.

2. singledownloop

singledownloop

hell any shoebox has potential,them wheels are definately hard on the eyes though.I liked how smooth the front end looked.

3. james

james

I'm a closet "pimp my ride" fan, too. The cars are horrendous, but they seem to fit the owners, which is what's important, and I like how they all seem to need a boost like that. Kinda bugged me how wealthy this guy was. Why not find some kid that saved up a few years to buy that shoebox and now has no dough to fix it up? I do like the interior, and the quality of everything looks great, but the wheels do suck (remind me of something on a big mopar in the late 60's- early 70's), and it sure could of been dropped a couple more inches!

4. [ QUOTE ]
    . I guess from the reaction here that there will NEVER be a car related show that will please anyone on the HAMB. For the love of pete can't you guys do anything but criticize. With all of the other crap that's puking out of the small screen I'd think that a car related show would thrill you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside from the one "Pimpmobile" episode,
    I thought "Rides" was very well done,and was well recieved here on the HAMB.
    No yelling,no phoney Bullshit.
    Some thought the narration was a little flat,
    but the quality of the rest of the show more than made up for it,IMHO.

I'm sure "Overhaulin" sounded good on paper to the studio people,
    but the cheap theatrics detract from the hard work put out by some of the best in the business.

How long before some of these "Overhaulin" cars show up on E-Bay?

5. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Pete Eastwood?!

6. daign

daign
    from socal

The show had the most mechanical and body content of any yet and you guys STILL find reasons to bitch... [​IMG] Chip Foose is a cool guy, I'd like to work for him and learn a few tricks.

I'd have been pretty pissed off if my son did that to my car without any prior knowledge. I thought it was an amazing car before they touched it, but thats just me.

-Dane

7. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Fab32, that is the REASON we are so bitchy about these shows, this stuff is what we know and love. When they put stuff on TV that is cheesy or has discrepancies, we KNOW, and that bothers us because we would have done it different. I sit and wonder why TLC can't seem to find a car guy and car girl to host the show. That would be your or my dream job, right, but they give it to the "pretty people" instead.
    Show me a show about boats or planes and I can relax, I don't know shit about them so I wouldn't know if the information was wrong. [​IMG]

8. Sven

Sven
    from Penix, AZ

I'm in agreement, I liked it. One has to remember that it's not aimed at the hardcore but more of a cross section.

I bet the concepts for this show and Cut, Chop, Rebuild were awesome but by the time it gets through the TV execs and the people that target shows for advertizing the result is something beige,

Personally, I'd like to see a show that chose a car and completed it during a series.

-Sven

9. Kanadia Kev

Kanadia Kev

My thoughts exactly. I did like the show though. what i did learn was the trick with the tape on the fender, when they were sanding to get a straight line. has anybody tried this?

10. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

....ohh great now I gotta clean barf off of my keyboard....

Honestly, those are probably the worst "riams" ever. What the hell were they thinking? Old school flattie meets 2004 SUV..?..? It's like putting billet rims on an all origional Indian. Why do it? Just so that you can say you changed it?I don't get it.

At least it's an easy fix...."HEY CHIP, TOSS ME THE IMPACT DRIVER!!..WHIRR, WHIRR, WHIRR(time elapse)....Ahh, thats better." [​IMG]

Not bad other than that - great for a seven day makeover. At least it's saveable....One more shoebox saved from the crusher anyways.

The saddest part is that this guy won't want to offend the "great" Chip Foose, so it'll probably stay that way. Ick! I just got the shivers....

I hope to god noone gets my car "Overhauled".....eesh. But talk about TV drama - would ball my eyes out - right before I stuck a screwdriver in his neck!!!

11. Kaucher

Kaucher

Hey I'm no hard guy, I have to admit that chip did a good job on the design here. It's not over blown. I love the intergration of the wheel center in the grille spinner [​IMG].

Kudos to CF on this one. Didn't watch the show and won't for specified reasons, but I do like the car.KK

12. Brickster

Brickster

I wish someone would take the second to last picture and photoshop some stock steel wheels with caps and rings.

13. Django

Django
    from Chicago

[ QUOTE ]

Not bad other than that - great for a seven day makeover. At least it's saveable....One more shoebox saved from the crusher anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crusher?! That car was nicer than many of my friend's cars! The more I think about the car, the less I like it. I agree 100% that this guy was a poor choice for the show. He obviously had the means to do whatever he wanted with the car.

I'm looking forward to the chevelle episode next week. It looks like it turned out really bitchin.

14. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

15. Kaucher

Kaucher

I'd like to see it dropped sitting on wide whites and some properly reversed chrome wheels with spiders.KK

16. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Chip's style is all over that car.It's beautiful the way it is.You guys sound pissed off because he didn't design a cookie cutter '50.I love trad rides but I'm open minded enough to acknowledge the talent that went in to the design .How many abortions have you've seen running around.You know the ones.Highboys with square headlights,Billet wheels on whitewalls,etc...
    Give the guy credit for continunity in his design.

17. That things sucks ARSE! I thought people were maybe getting over the billet and pastel look.....try again Chip! What a dog....

18. Kaucher

Kaucher

[ QUOTE ]
    It's not over blown. I love the intergration of the wheel center in the grille spinner [​IMG].

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe I did that. I just have a thing for shoebox Fords and Chevys wearing reversed chrome wheels.KK

19. shoebox72

shoebox72

Man, that engine would be really nice if they would have used 3 of the same carbs. Not 2 97's & 1 94. [​IMG] WTF.

Billy

20. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

I can respect everyones opinion on this car - 98% of it is cool. But in two years it'll look outdated and just as ridiculous as a highboy with square headlights (I'd take one of those too [​IMG]).

Ohh and I didn't think it was ever headed for the crusher, I am just saying that after being re-build from the ground up it should be good to go for another 50 years....Anyone who actually refinishes a car is a patron to the hobby's future.

I will say that I am glad he didn't try to faux patina the car or try to cause rust on purpose....I like the car,,,mostly,,,,kinda....

Anyway to each his own - besides, it'll make some other shoebax look even better.... [​IMG]

21. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I missed the show but I wish I had seen it. I'd rather watch any car show over the rest of the crap they throw at us. At least it gives us something to bit......talk about. I've got to say I like that car. It's a little to street roddy and clean for me, but nothing a couple of winters in Kansas wouldn't straighten right out!

22. chopt50

chopt50
    BANNED

[ QUOTE ]
    Didn't watch the show.

But those wheels are horrendous, the flipped bumper does not work on that car, and the stance leaves a lot to be desired.

On the other hand, the flatty and the interior are really cool, and I'm not totally opposed to that color scheme.

Fuck TV, concentrate on the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT!!!! [​IMG]