Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Stray Cats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3Deuce40, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flathead fred

flathead fred

good to hear, gonna go see em on the 25th, my girlfriends 13 year old daughter is going with us, should be cool..

2. Bryan

Bryan

saw them about 4 years ago, it was facking sweet.

3. bignateokc

bignateokc

billy gibbons is the man! You missed out please kick yourself in the ballz! for leaving early. I havent misssed zz in the last 16 years it was cool as a m.f. to see stray cats play they rocked! It was almost 100 outside pretenders can suck my ass!

4. GeeRam

GeeRam

Saw the Stray Cats when their played in London about 3 years ago.

Not really a big fan either now or back in their heyday 25 years ago, although I do admire Setzer's musical talent....:)

I seem to recall he never made any secret of his admiration or the influence of Eddie Cochran even down to the use of that Gretch.

After all, both Marc Bolan and George Harrison were equally influenced when they both had the fortunate chance to see Cochran live on his fateful last tour back in 1960.

As, for Chrissie Hynde, well, back in the late 70's and into the 80's my Mum worked for the record label The Pretenders were contracted to and she met Hynde, and she thought that she was a rude, arrogant bitch back then............so sounds like age hasn't mellowed her at all............:D

5. Gator

Gator

Yeah, they only played about a 30 minute set in Nashville too.

ZZ Top played almost an hour and a half and they blew the place up. It was a fantastic show.

The Pretenders were good too, but Chrissy got a smattering of boos when she started talking about the senseless slaughter of animals for food.

6. flyin-t

flyin-t

That's not true and you must not have seen them play in the beginning. The guys in the band, along with their producer Dave Edmunds, have always been quick to credit and point to their influcences, mainly Cochran and Vincent. If anyone was pissed (or at least a little jealous) of their sucess, and I've read where he was, it was Robert Gordon who paved the way and kept the rockabilly torch burning during pre Cat days...which, for those too young to remember, was smack dab in the middle of the putrid disco era.

7. Steaks taste good, I wonder how Chrissie tastes? Probably not as good as 20 years ago...

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I saw the Stray Cats on their first tour of England, they destroyed this old punk rockers mind. They played in Blackpool and Setzer strolled up to the stage with a girl in each arm and insulted the town the whole night and got the ancient Teddy Boys all riled up. The show ended in a brawl and I talked to Lee Rocker about it and he remembered it well. They ended up putting some of the roadies and teds in the same mariah and jell cell.
    Great fucking show, a life changer.
    The Stray Cats haven't been given the credit they deserve in keeping a dead musical form alive. Fuck authenticity the Stray Cats have earned their place in musical history.

Why the fuck aren't they playing down south????

9. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

I was there mainly for the Cats. ZZ Top's music was excellent but as soon as Billy started to sing, you couldn't understand a single word. He is an excellent musician and they did rock the place but I'm sorry, the Cats killed. In my opinion, theres no comparison.

10. Jimv

Jimv

I saw Brian Setzer with his "big Band" at Mohegan sun a few years back & they where great!! Just Like John Lennon was the beatles, Setzer is the Stray cats!
    As far as Brian Setzer playing a great guitar, can't take it away from him, he is one of the best, but all in all he can't hold a candle to Clapton!!
    Clapton was & always will be GOD!!lol
    JimV

11. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

They're coming to Sacramento and am looking forward to going.

12. Chad s

Chad s

I dont know if thats fair to say. What about Paul? Everyone has their favorite beatle, If you took Paul out of the group, it wouldnt be the Beatles.

I happen to think both Brian and Lee Rocker are the best at what they do. Jim does his job, and he's good, but he could be replaced. But take Brian OR Lee out of the Stray Cats, and its no longer the Stray Cats.

Its two totaly different styles of playing, so I dont think your statement is fair. However, I dont think I could picture (or hear) Clapton playin Brian Setzer's guitar style. Clapton may be very good at what he does, but he's one of the best at a style of playing that hundreds of other rock guitar players have done for a few decades. Brian Setzer has a style all of his own, even when compared to every other rockabilly guitar player throughout history. As far as a rockabilly guitar player, I dont think he will ever be matched.

13. ROCKINLAGER

ROCKINLAGER

I was bummed out to see the Cats were not even coming close to Florida..so I did what I had to do... Hopped on a plane and went to Atlantic City to see them tear it up... What a great show! Personally I thought the Prentenders were terrible and considering I am not familar with hardly any ZZ top songs, I was pleasantly surprised.

Bottom Line --- well worth the dollars spent on the hotel, rental car and ticket.. not to mention the expensive shirts!

I can only hope they put out another record.. and my guess is they will.. they have to with the rave reviews they are getting! Rockabilly will never die!

14. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

It's sad with all the wanna-be Stray Cats reviewed in Barracuda and OSR every month we can't always have the Stray Cats around as money making-record producing band.
    It's ONLY the Stray Cats with all 3 members. They do their own thing to pay the bills and I buy all their solo stuff- but the magic is really there when they are a band. I hate having the feeling they only do it for the money as opposed to back in 1982 when we were listening to their first import album and still thought they were from England. Back then they seemed like a gang- not yet jaded by the record industry and musical trends- MTV and corporate deals. I hear them in those new car commercials and know that 15 lawyers made that deal, not the Stray Cats.
    I'll love them forever- but not sure they are having fun doing what we originally fell in love with them for. I always hope- but hope we don't have to wait until they are 60 to see them having fun making that music.

15. Brian Setzer has a sweet 32 5-window. I remember seeing it in Street Rodder a couple of years ago. I saw Brian in Detroit last year for the Christmas Extravaganza. It rocked!

16. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Saw them here on Long Island, the start of the tour and their hometown......They were great although i was disappointed that the set was only 45 minutes and they weren't the headliner considering it was their hometown....Pretenders were an hour and 10 minutes, but i thought they were great...{Had seen them before}.....ZZ Top , at least to me aren't worth the traffic jam getting out of the place so i bailed after the Pretenders

17. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

Roadrat, you said it perfectly. We left 15 minutes into ZZ Top just to beat the traffic jam. And besides, when Billy started to sing, you couldn't understand a single word. I was there for The Cats only! They killed!

18. Chad s

Chad s

New Lee Rocker came out yesterday, Im waiting for my copy in the mail. Previewed the songs on Itunes, and I really like what I hear so far. Last record was great, he did it again. But I agree, it still not the Stray Cats.

19. I was bored revisting some old posts:

I was there and heard the complaints - misguided in my opinion. I think the Cats are fucking great! There was also some rant about Brian not playing Eddie on the movie La Bamba accurately, which I think was a result of producers or managers not wanting Brian too closely associated with Eddie. Whatever... there will always be somebody somewhere to complain about everything. Friends of mine in rockabilly bands have said great things about the Stray Cats keeping the sound alive. If Jerry Lee Lewis says, "Robert Gordon's the real deal.", I'm on my way to the store to find some of his music.

Later,

20. Al Von

Al Von

I love liberals!!

Chrissy Hynde scolds us for eating meat--while she is wearing LEATHER pants!

Cheryl Crow orders her Mercedes without leather seats--a renewable resource--and demands a cloth interior, made of Nylon, made from oil--a NON-renewable resource!

Algore jets around the world telling us how our 'jetting around the world' is killing the planet!

I love liberals!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.