Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you do with windshield rubber on a chopped car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FordF1, Aug 15, 2007.

1. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

My 1952 Ford F1 is chopped 3.5 inches and I'm trying to plan the windshield for it. It's a little more complicated since it has a stainless trim for the deluxe cab that borders the entire front window.

What is the normal practice for the windshield rubber? Do I buy the stock rubber and just cut it on the sides to make it fit? or is the rubber glued back together or put together with some other compound?

Any advice on how to cut the stainless trim and weld/polish it back together? My buddy is decent with a TIG and thinks he might be able to do it.

Any help is appreciated.

2. i would use a new ribber cut it down to fit.
    and use black windshield glue where the cuts are to keep it sealed as best as possible..
    i wouldn't even try to tig the stainless no matter how good of a welder he is it ll just blow it apart..if it were me id braze it with stainless rod.

3. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Rubber glue? maybe?

5. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

use wet suit glue on the rubber. get it from a surf shop

Works well and hold up. Clean god 1st with asaton (spelling) sorry
    Dave

6. good
    acetone
    ;) :D

7. I use Super glue that says rubber products on the label. I cut the gasket with a cheapo PVC cutter, cuts straight lines. if I have the option I cut on the pillar rather than top or bottom (less chance of leaks later).....Jim

8. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

9. old beet

old beet

That rubber is the same all the way around. I cut that factory bond out, then glue it back together. I put the cut behind the wiper boss. Yes I have a chopped 51 with SS W/S trim, tiged and polished, not that hard for a good welder. Did mine over 35 years ago, still looks OK..........OLDBEET

10. k-member

k-member

Here's a pic of OldBeets SS windshield trim..........

Attached Files:

11. atomickustom

atomickustom

I've had good luck with super glue, too, and I also used a cheapo cutter intended for hoses and PVC pipe. It gives a really straight cut. On a one-piece windshield you can just cut it in one place, put it on the glass, cut off the excess, and glue it back together. (And it's a lot easier to install while it's a long strip than when it's a wobbly hoop!)

12. Here is a tip my buddy Radshit gave me. On his 52 F-1 chopped 4 inches he used a 73 VW window gasket and it fit perfect without any cutting. Your 3.5 inch would probably work with this as well. What you really need is just a gasket with the same approx overall length. Or cut the new gasket to fit as the others suggested. Your trim will require a gasket with the groove for the trim, so the VW gasket would not work in your case.

I plan to try this VW gasket with my 49 COE when I chop it.