Register now to get rid of these ads!

2 door Vs More doors??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DocWatson, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

more doors can be cool..!..but call them sedans..that carger thing was a german fuck up

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

I like old cars.

3. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Depends on the car. Parsonally, I like our 4DHT '58 Olds better than a 2D POST of the same variety, but we're only into it for $875 and, when we bought it, I fiugured if it was too far gone, most of it (drivetrain, dash column/wheel, seat) would make a nice hot rod given the right OLD FORD body shell. Now, when we were looking for a car to FINANCE (before I decided that was stupid) I was ONLY considering 2-doors because I've got a contract job and if it came down to having to sell it to get rid of the loan, 2-doors are a LOT easier to get rid of. I don't know that I'll own another 4-door, but I'm not against it as long as the styling is there and NOT an afterthought, as it appears to be on most 4-doors...

4. The Dude

The Dude

I prefer a 2 door, better proportions generally, sleeker, yada yada yada. But I have a 4 door (56 Customline), why...

First of all 2 door anythings are too expensive and I am poor and they are not always easy to find (and when you do find them you have to refer back to the too expensive thing). Secondly I am still learning and personally would rather not screw up something I really plan on keeping like I would if my 56 was a Crown Vic instead of a Customline.

Finally as a younger guy I don't think the 2 door/4 door thing is as important. There are a lot of cool, high performance modern cars that are four doors and that is what I have grew up with. Personally I saw it as a bit of a challenge to see if I could really make the car cool. Anybody can make a 2 door '50 Merc look cool or a 50's Crown Vic or Bel Air, big deal. I guess it is just a different point of view for some.

5. I Drag

I Drag

Is it time for the return of a 2dr/4dr thread already? Whew, that was quick.

The preference for 2 doors is cultural. In the last 50 years in the US, 2 doors were considered "sporty" and 4 doors were considered "family cars".

I think it's interesting that the pendulum has swung the other way: the current (US mainstream) culture considers 4 doors preferable, if you look at the higher-end european sedans (BMW's, Mercedes, etc) that everyone aspires to own.

6. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Personally I hate 'em. I drove the family Biscayne when I was old enough to drive. That car wasn't cool then and it isn't now. When I was a kid it just wasn't cool to be seen driving your mom's car. Today the equivalent would be having to drive your mom's minivan with a couple of baby seats bolted in. "That's o.k. mom, I'd rather take the bus". Hahahahaha....

As far as being practical, other than easy access they're not. No matter what you do, how much you spend, how hopped up it is you will NEVER get your bread back when it comes time to sell. And you will want to sell it!

I can't tell you how many time I see hipsters cruising around Hollywood in four door Falcons thinking they look cool and I can't help but smile knowing they "just don't get it". Sorry. -stick

7. Everyone but me.

8. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

They make CARS in Europe?!

9. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

If a shit fight with knifings and brass knuckles occurs, it's easier to get all your mates out of a four door then everyone trying to pile over the front seat of a two door.:D

10. JoeG

JoeG

I'm in the vast minority her in that I actually went looking for a 4 door impala. I was hoping for a hardtop but ended up with a super clean and original sedan instead.

Now I know some of you are thinking that I didn't havee the money for a 2 door or was perhaps not patient enough but that's simply not the case. The truth of the matter is that I thought of practicality when making this purchase. Those two extra doors make it very easy to get the kids out of their car seats and the post will offer a nice place to mount some 3 point belts this winter.

Is it as sexy as a 2 door? Probably not but I'm going to finish it off in a way that will make me andd the family happy. We're going to have a lot of fun and memories in the car and that was the true goal.

11. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Taste and personal preference...

Some four dours I love and some two doors I wouldn't own if given to me, some wagons are especially cool and sleek, others are lumpy and ugly.

Lines, sleekness, style, look make the car, not the number of doors it has.

(on an aside comment, for a culture that's supposed to "individualistic", there seem to be a huge "following")

12. Fordors suck.

JH

Attached Files:

13. rjgideon

rjgideon

Yeah, like all of the Harley riding "rebels" with thier HD jackets and t-shirts. Man, I wish I could be a rebel like everyone else. Sheeple, plain and simple. Herded into the HD dealer and caught up by the image.

14. Fe26

Fe26

My taste is exclusivly tudor ( sounds snobby eh! ) the only fordors I like are those where the rear doors are hung suicide fashion, there is a make of car (not sure which one, that has no centre post, now thats a cool look with the doors open.:rolleyes:

15. Crankhole

Crankhole

Any vintage tin on the road is cool in my book.

16. haring

haring

That is not a good analogy.

Try again.

17. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

C'mon Harrison, You know well enough this argument isn't about pre '49 cars!:D -stick

18. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

'zactly...
    And...though all of those cars DID look well enough...
    they would still look better as two doors, to ME.
    No hatin'...just my opinion.
    the pre-'49's lend themselves to it better, though, for obvious reasons.

19. Exactly!

Please no one take offense to the this, but:

Drive what ya like - drive what you can - just drive and screw what everyone else thinks.

Ya know a few years back wagons weren't "cool" and now people are cruising them like crazy. Hmmm, what changed - oh yeah "so and so" decided to drive one AND that made them cool.

I thought this hobby was about being involved, getting dirty, building / buying something and driving it - not how many doors you have, wheels you run, weather you paint is shiney or not, barn find, faux patina, etc, etc, etc...

If you want a 4 door, moore door, mor door, mo' door, sedan, family car I say buy it and be original with it - it's your money.

A lot of this hobby is going too much the way of the street rod in my opinion.

I would rather see a nice sedan over a cookie cutter, black primer, red wheel, radial white wall coupe anyday.

20. irpeachykeenn

irpeachykeenn

i drive a 56 olds 4 door and i get ribbed everyday for drivin it I dont know what it is. some preety horrible stuff gets said too but again im young broke and need a car to get around .
    im the only kid in my school with old steel and the kids dont know the difference but cras shows are a totaly different story and its made me want to make the change i really dont like 4 doors since the begining its like puttin an extra comma in the wrong place,,

21. Jim,,,I'm hurt you forgot my crappy mordoor!:D :rolleyes: HRP

Attached Files:

22. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I like old tin,whether its a 2 door, 4 door, five window, 3 window, coupe, convertible, wagon, roadster, limo, longbed, shortbed....whatever...i like it.

It's all cool.

23. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Must be time for TECH week......
    The same topics regurgitated over and over is getting old..........

24. Swifster

Swifster

Like many, I was advised early in my automotive childhood that 4-doors were old men's cars. So to me, 4-doors are the lowest on the automotive food chain. I have grown to like wagons, along with 2-dr body styles of all kinds. Trucks are also something I've grown to take more of an interest in.

Knowing that 4-doors in OZ are rare, I understand the idea of using what's available. It's adapting to your surroundings.

25. kustomkolin

kustomkolin
    from Herts UK

I bought a 51 mordoor Merc about 3 years ago.I`ve wanted one for years,but never had the money.This mordoor came up at an affordable price so I got it.I couldn`t afford a coupe then,and I cant afford one now,but hey,I`m havin fun with my sedan.I`ll have even more fun when I get to sled it!

Attached Files:

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i believe its all good

27. nwallace7

nwallace7

I love the more doors.

28. chopped

chopped

And if you love your fat wife, good for you. But, you still got a fat wife.

29. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

You've obviously never been around early 60's Mopar Max Wedge cars.......or '57 210 "fuelies"..........WAYYYYY cooler than ANY 4 door.....
    But I digress.............

30. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Hahahahahahaha..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.