Register now to get rid of these ads!

62 cadillac on airbags, where to put shocks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6deucecaddy, Aug 13, 2007.

1. 6deucecaddy

6deucecaddy

I bagged my 62 cadillac coupe deville about a year ago. I got it done by what i thought was a pro. I got all 10 switches. Well anyways, ever since i got it bagged i noticed that the front of the car bounces a lot, especially on freeways. That car is not a long trip car because it gives me a damn headache from all the bouncing. I noticed that the car does not have front shocks, and i know that this would solve my problem but i dont know exactly where to install it since the airbags are where the shocks and spring use to be. Has anyone experienced this? help:confused:

2. send_it_all

send_it_all

I don't have an answer to your question, but I will be bagging my 65 cdv soon. Since we are nearly neighbors, I would like to check out your car. I also have a buddy that owns a 63 cdv and also a body shop in Costa Mesa. If you can post pics of it or just p.m. me pics I would appreciate it. Good luck with it.

3. 6deucecaddy

6deucecaddy

yeah no problem ill take some more pics tomorrow but ill show you the pics i got.

4. 6deucecaddy

6deucecaddy

this is a pic of when i bought it

[​IMG]

these are after
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. send_it_all

send_it_all

That thing is nice. I dont know how much fabrication you do, but if the answer is zero, between my buddy (who has the 63) and I, I'm sure we can figure out the shock thing. I have a shop in H.B. where I keep my car. There is room in it to work on yours if you are interested. I'm a big fan of pizza.

6. send_it_all

send_it_all

What is the car in your avatar, by the way?....

7. 6deucecaddy

6deucecaddy

31 coupe, with a 394 oldsmobile. Currently building a chassis.

8. 6deucecaddy

6deucecaddy

anybody have an answer?

9. timebandit

timebandit
    from Norway

I have been involved in the same deal before. 61 cad bagged without shocks in the front.
    Those cars dont seem to have room for a good, simple shock setup with conventional bags.
    We solved the problem by replacing the bags with Shockwave units (bag over shock) from Airride.
    Not cheap, but the car worked perfect after that.
    You get adjustable shocks as a bonus, but a little less lift than standard bags.
    -Thomas

10. 6deucecaddy

6deucecaddy

will the car be able to go as low as it is now if i change to shockwave.

11. Check some of Donnie Baird's(lownslow) old posts about his Olds--seems like I remember him coming up with some kind of mount that put the shock on top of the upper a-arm at an angle:confused:

Of course, I'm gettin old and my memory is fuzzy sometimes :eek:

12. JamesG

JamesG

Most bagged acrs don't run them. My '61 LeSabre didn't and niether does my '53 Burb. Most just run with the front aired up and the ass end down. My Burb doesn't float at all though. I don't know other than running and off-road shock set up wityh really long travel. Some guys run knee action shocks.

13. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

Sorry to change the subject... but i want to bag a 1970 Dodge Pickup... any suggestions?

14. 6deucecaddy

6deucecaddy

How low do you want to go? What tires are you running?

15. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

we just relocated shocks on my buddys 66 caddy. sorry dont have any better pics, you can come see it if you want its in anaheim. car sets on the frame- run shocks its safer and rides better

16. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

pic

Attached Files:

17. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

no shocks needed in front, stock location in back should be ok on taht car, but ive seen SEVERAL with nothing..

my 62 has none in front, and stocks in rear (blown like ALL hell, NO life in em, so rides like they arent there... )...

18. timebandit

timebandit
    from Norway

Yes, but that depends how you set up your lower mount (on the A arm) But it might not get as high as you can now. If I remember right the shockwaves have about 4" travel. I think Airride has your car listed so it should be easy to get the right stuff.

-Thomas

19. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

but cant figure out how to mount front shocks on your caddy????

,,shock bolt through your lower A arm. a piece of angle iron (or?) welded to your frame,,...shock goes in between,,,

20. 6deucecaddy

6deucecaddy

I can probably figure it out on my own but i want to know if someone has a better idea on how to go about it. Maybe there idea is better then mine!

21. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

suicidedoors.com sells a nice lazer cut kit for an s-10 that you can make work on your caddy. just like sam f. said. i just used them on my car and on a buddys car.

22. Abomination

Abomination

Anybody know if I'll run into this same deal on my '60?

~Jason

23. 133

this is interesting, i'm looking to bag my '66 Cad soon. who's got photos?

24. 6deucecaddy

6deucecaddy

And I dont want to Mickey Mouse it!!

25. 6deucecaddy

6deucecaddy