Register now to get rid of these ads!

model car sunday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marc Dee, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Marc Dee

Marc Dee

Didnt see anything posted yet but here is what I got going.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

Looking good! like the ass down, looks sweet.

I started a Grant King Sprint car..loped the top cage off and made my own widened super modified tires.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. tstclr

tstclr

Here's my contribution. I built it about 10 years ago.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. gowjobs

gowjobs

Just sprayed some primer on my streamliner:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this project, although Beatnik Bandit-inspired, has more of a late sixties/early seventies vibe to it with these big ol' Richard Carrol steamrollers:
    [​IMG]

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

G'day Dave,
    What is that liner body from?? Man I have been looking for something to build into a liner. Really want to go all out but wanted to avoid scratch building the body (Getting lazy in my old age)
    If all else fails I think a Jocko style liner will be on the cards, maybe 1/16th of 1/8th?

6. gowjobs

gowjobs

That 'liner is made up from two of the Tetsors re-issues of the old Hawk salt flat cars in 1/32. I flipped one upside-down and used it as a bellypan for the other one after I wedge-sectioned it a little. They're really simplistic models, originally meant for rubber-band power. There are four different models, all based on the same main body and wheels, but featuring different center sections and canopies. They sell for about $5.95 ea. here in the states.

Here's an early mockup with a different cockpit section stuck on it:
    [​IMG]

BTW: though they were meant to be 1/32 scale LSR cars, they were meant to be BIG ones like the old Bluebird or Mickey Thompson's Challenger I. They make nice roadster-sized streamliners in 1/25.

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, I will have to look into them!
    I sat down and thought a bit about the liner that has always been a 'project waiting for inspiration' and found myself drawing ideas for one. Thought seriously about 1/8th but realised I dint have the space for that. 1/16th will be the go, does anyone do resin ARDUN heads in 1/16th? This will be 90% scratch built so will be a long and involved project.
    Thinking of making it a monocoque body along the lines of one I have seen picture of from the late 50s built by an aircraft engineer. I cant remember the cars name or the guy that built it, there is a picture of it in Don Montgomerys 'Hot rod memories'.

8. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, that Large Scale Models is Ok, but there is one better place for large scale models. Now I have built a lot of scratchbuilt models in my time, but they were all large scale aircraft. I look around this other board and I'm almost too scared to post, these guys are the scratch building gods, and some of them have only been scratch building major parts for a few years!
    http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/index.php?