Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pics from the SALT, and the car show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratstar, Aug 12, 2007.

1. I have to laugh at everyone sitting in front of their computors ,wondering about all the negative aspects of Bville.
    Making coments on how much damage the people are doing to their cars...... but those people are the ones living life,having fun, and making memories only the salt and Bonneville can give.

2. Rusty

Rusty

MAn it looks like so much fun but I just dont know If I could do it in some of those cars, mainly cause I aint much of a painter, etc and would have to pay all over again to fix the shiney stuff, thanks so much for sharing the awesome pics. But hindsite to it all, I would have to do it anyway after the long treck there and seeing all your buds doing it will make it all worth while.

Rusty

3. Thank You for the pics ratstar

4. CruZer

CruZer

5. jlouie

jlouie

thanks for the pics, one of these days i'm just gonna have to go, ride or not. it looks like a great time.

6. farmboat

farmboat
    from Lucas, KY

I'm with ya hibbyjr53. why not drive on the salt. that's what it's there for.

7. aceguy

aceguy

Great pictures. The impromptu car show Friday night at the Nugget was better than any Goodguys show!

8. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

You have to have a special salt rig for Bville. If you think you can clean it off, try pressure washing it spotless then running your finger over a clean part and taste the salt on your finger. You can spend 4 hours under it with a hose and 6 months later youll walk out and there will be a giant chunk of salt on the ground under it. It gets up under the fender braces where you cant get it out on the early cars. Its still the greatest car show and race on the face of the earth and if you havent been there you need to go. No place like it on earth at sunrise

9. k-member

k-member

Wow, I can't believe all that water some of those pics looks like there at the ocean. When I went in 98 it was hot and dry, my coupe was hit by a semi truck 30 miles out on the way home and we rolled 3 times (one would think that would have shaken most of the salt out), but a year later I was still finding salt in places I could'nt believe how it got there. Thanks for the great pics, looks like a good time.

10. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Do what? You still had a coupe to shaking salt out of? :confused: There's a story to be told here...

11. raaf

raaf

what's up with this? are those louvers for cooling in the back? is that where the radiator is? curious.

[​IMG]

12. k-member

k-member

Yeah, long story, but we flipped it back on all fours and drove back to Washington on a bent front axle changing the tires from side to side do to severe tire wear, passenger door wired on, stopped at an old farm house and welded the header back on and it took twice as long to get home as it did getting there. Got stopped by Nevadas finest for leaving the scene of an accident trying to catch the Werner truck that hit us and the cops really did nothing to help us. Werner denied they were even in that area, BS! The cop asked us what the truck number was, as if we wrote it down while crashing! The truck driver was pulling back onto the hiway swerving all over and hit us with the rear tires of his trailer and sent us flying. To this day I hate BST's (Big Scary Trucks).

13. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Ratstar,
    Who owns the 48 F1 in this second group of pictures? I'd like to see more of it for ideas for my own! Thanks.

14. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

Did anyone happen to see how creitz did with his vette?

15. mortecai

mortecai

Wow some very interesting pics. I personally wouldn't want to subject my car to the soupy mess tho. I shudder at the necessity of getting all that salt out from the crevices and nooks and crannys.

16. ratstar

ratstar

All I have is a few more pictures of the pinstiping on that F1. No other pics of it sorry. Dont know who owns it either.

17. pink rodder

pink rodder

Awsome photo's. Do you have anymore of the 29 Ford Sedan pictured in the next to last photo? Rusted with hand painted orange flames?
    Keep the Bonneville Pics coming!!!!
    Pink Rodder

18. Mel and I had fun, just got back. the entrance was where the salt mush was deep about 12" the rest of the course, pits and bend in the road was fine.
    some of you guys here worry too much about other peoples cars.

19. ratstar

ratstar

good attitude abe lol. I like it.

20. Your pics are great, thanks for posting. My favorite is the first one, the Tall T coupe. It stayed at the same motel we did in Louisville. It was love at first sight, it just looks so sinister! I have to admit I was skeptical at the thought of it being driven from Cali. Shame on me. I regret I didn't get to talk to the owner. If he drove that car that far he has to be alright. I gotta figure out how to post pictures some day.

21. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I got back late Monday and spend all day yesterday and half of today washing out the underside of my (modern/ driver) truck-- Because the salt was so wet and deep at the entrance to the course, it went EVERYWHERE underneath the vehicle- All the way up under the hood, on top of the trans, and every single metal lip and recess had a stash of crusty white stuff. I'm more uptight than most folks about cleaning my vehicle, so I spent the time to find all the salt, and it just keep showing up in the most obscure places!

Still the trip, the racing, the flats and the people SO made it worth it!! I'll be posting my own story soon... Stay tuned.

jay

PS- The 35 Roadster belongs to a great guy named Phil Linhares of the Oakland Museum-- I followed him out from Oakland on Thursday.

22. Leon

Leon

I cleaned mine out pretty good yesterday as soon as I got home, but I'm rolling the 4 post lift outside this weekend so I can put it into the air and get under everything with the hose and WD40.
    I did get tagged by Nevada's finest in Tonopah. Went from 70 MPH down to 25 and I didn't get slowed down enough before he hit me with the radar.

23. Denise Varney said he was still finding salt in the Sedan that he brought out there. Stuff gets into everything.

24. you know for me its all worth it. There is no comparison and words cannot explain the feeling to drive your hot rod out onto the salt. Its not like driving your hot rod to a car show this is the ultimate drive even if its a short one for me. I could sit around and wish I never took it out there and be scared of rust but instead I chose to make memories that will last a lifetime for my wife and I..

25. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

great pics!! Salt or no, it looks like fun:D

26. ratstar

ratstar

Well put Saltflataddict, A little salt wont ever scare me away, even in my plymouth, or my A.

27. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

yeah- we'll be paying the price for a long time I'm sure. We spent all day monday cleaning our roadster, but we still have salt chunks falling out from under the dash and every nook and cranny when we hit turns, put on the brakes etc. It's good that it was mostly chunky, not a mist, because it didn't penetrate the smallest places.

come on- some of you mean to tell me you'd drive all the way out there and NOT drive on the salt? Only a handful of cars were parked at the entrance :)

28. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Did not realize there was so much water (I know in previous years it was flooded) but seeing those pic really tells the story

I would never have taken my 29 sedan thru that (to much chrome to ruin) but I would have probably taken my wagon thru it (not thinking to much about the end impact). thinking I could wash it off... but the point of the water/ salt mix getting into every nook and cranny is well taken..

29. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Man those pictures are great, I really need to go next year. keep on posting.

30. James Curl

James Curl

I drove my 48 Plymouth out from central Texas, first to Reno for Hot August Nights then on to Bonneville. I drove through the brime and onto the salt both Saturday and Sunday before heading back to Texas. Washed the car after I got home and had hugh hunks of salt come out from the fenders, took my buddy who went with me back to Austin to catch a plane to New Orleans and it rained 3/4" before I got home and washed all my salt away. Was going to bag it and give to friends who are afriad to drive their cars. I am 71 years old and I think the old car will still outlast me even if it has been driven on the salt at Bonneville.