Register now to get rid of these ads!

Progress pics on my 1952 Ford F1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FordF1, Aug 11, 2007.

1. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

Here are the latest pictures of my truck. It's been a few year project so far. I'm 24, and learning a lot of fabrication while building it, so some parts have been slow but I hope to have it running within a year. It's going to look like the stock truck (original style repro wheels) except with the chop, lower stance and wider tires.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Looking good. When you get done practicing on yours come over and do mine.:)

Frank

3. misfit36

misfit36
    from new york

just picked up a 52 myself, decent shape. im new to this as far as actually owning my own project, so i only know some of the basics (helps having lots of friends with experience). yours is lookin good man. how much of a chop is that? and if ya dont mind me askin, wheredid you start your project? ( as far as drivetrain, body, etc.)

4. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

I started the project by pulling a free cab out of a swamp. Got it home, and slowly found better pieces to use at swapmeets and on ebay. As it stands right now, the only part from the original truck I brought home is part of the roof used in the chop. Everything else has been changed.

The truck is chopped 3.5 inches. Frame is a 81 Camaro clip, narrowed 2.5 inches (Camaro clips are too wide stock, a 78-81 Monte Carlo is the perfect width, gives you a 605 steering box, and 350 motor mounts as well). I picked up some tubular control arms for my front end as well.

The rear is a Ford 9 inch. One of the narrowest ones made, i think 60s fairlane is my best guess of what it is, with a 3.73 posi and disc brakes (for discs go with a bracket to mount a caliper on and late 80s Cadillac calipers have an ebrake built into them - easier than the Ford Explorer way).

I've noticed on a lot of these trucks that people don't fill the back fenders with enough tire for my taste. There is soo much room, might as well fill it up.

5. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

Looks good to me. I like the chop too. :cool:

6. misfit36

misfit36
    from new york

thanks for the tips. im pretty sure ill end up keeping the frame stock for now. the way it is now ( same as when i got it is as follows )
    full cab, front fenders, bumper. all in decent shape pinholes in the floor, most rot through only in door jamb area.no glass except for the rear. stock frame solid with surface rust, stock drums and leafs. no bed, 351 cleveland turns over, havent had a chance to see if it runs with a 3 speed auto. i actually havent moved it to my cousins house where ill be keeping it. (hopefully tomorrow ) its sittin behind a vintage porsche dealership down the street from my apartment. anyway sorry bout the rant thanks again for the tips and keep us updated.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

So, you mentioned about the tire not filling up the fender in the back. What size tire/rim did you end up with?
    Also, the side shot shows you could have shoved the front clip forward an inch or two. Not being critical but just pointing out a common thing with frame clips.

Frank

8. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

The front clip was put in an inch forward of stock. Right now the fenders are just hanging on place sitting on top of paint cans, and nothing is actually bolted in. When I pull the fenders in tight to the body and in position the fender is the proper shape and looks right. If it is off, I'll move the cab mounts back an inch. It should be close.

The tire I ended up with is a 285/70/15. I could have gone to a narrower tire. I will have to tub the box a few inches. If you look at the stock wheels size they are actually pretty big as well.