Register now to get rid of these ads!

hoodlum mock up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xderelict, Feb 8, 2007.

1. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I'll have another roll of film in after monday.Little by little it's moving along.

2. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Sorry,I have not located a couple of photo discs.I have been trying to restore the photos as best I can.[​IMG]

Started work on the nose,So I made a sleve to fit around the edsel grill shell.
    [​IMG]
    the surround over the shell

[​IMG]
    the piece in the car.
    [​IMG]
    cut the sides off a 51 chevy dash
    [​IMG]
    and started forming the dash area
    [​IMG]
    There is hood metal in place now too.
    I've got rust repair to do now.The door skins have rust at the chrome strip and a little in the front nose.I keep plugging away it keeps getting further along.the last photo is patches for the rear cockpit where the metal I used before didn't work.There was lead in a seam and rust in the metal under the lead.So cut it out.make a new set of patches and try again.

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  3. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

that is looking great! I love using existing curves and puttng them in new places. Then you end up with something completly new.
    You are gonna have to widen that thing if you are gonna put a real engine in it, you know , a v-8

4. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Man, sorry, I don't know a V8.

5. Stone

Stone

killer project

6. Junkytudor

Junkytudor

Thanks for the vision and inspiration, it is posts like this that make me really appreciate the HAMB!!! You just can't find this stuff anywhere else.

7. woodys garage

woodys garage

you know I have to agree on the last post. It is invaluable to see the vision others have. The other forums I read are nothing in comparison to the hamb. By nature I am more into motorcycles, but rarely do I see as frequently the talent as on the hamb. Thank you very much, Woody

ps xderelict you have really done something and thanks for sharing with the rest of us. You are sort of in my backyard of sorts or at least in the same state, I am out in Kearney, NE. Looking forward to more of your posts.

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Wow!! Just caught this thread, rock on, man!!

9. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

You have a long weekend coming up.....what are you gonna do to it?

If you haven't noticed, I think this thing is one of the coolest things on the HAMB (that is saying A LOT)

10. This kicks ass! Great job - keep the progress posted.

11. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Rust repair.This is old metal and I have to go back and fix some rust.Working around the cockpit,metal shaping.I'm trying to figure out a hindge mechanism to lift the body and tilt back,funny car style.It's like an expanded hood hinge.I have a popcycle stick mock up of what I want so thats on the table soon.I'm trying to have most of the body fabrication done before I set the frame up.The rails are cut, pinched and tapered and waiting on the body and cross members.Work and family take up available time but I make progress weekly.Thanks for the encouragement,I'm having fun.I'll post when I have another roll of film developed.

12. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

It's been a month. Any new pictures?

13. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

This Is What It Is All About... I Love It.

14. ANewBeat

ANewBeat
    from Floriduh

Very, very cool. Update?

15. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Damn, I spent some time away from the HAMB earlier this year and missed all this. I just made up for it by reading the complete thread. Amazing work.

16. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I've been spending more money than time on it.The rust work is always a pain in the ass.Got a bunch of that out of the way.It looks the same but its further along. I went to OKC and made a deal with Roothawg for this.:cool:
    [​IMG]
    It's a 58 235 with a .040 bore,lumpy cam, solids, andFenton headers.I'm going to change the intake out to either a 216 Thickstun ported to 235,with a pair of carter yfs, I really like this manifold.
    [​IMG]
    Or an Edmunds with 2,2 barrels.The Edmunds is water heated.I got this manifold from brjr51 here on the HAMB.Thanks
    [​IMG]
    I found a 50 fiat topolino radiator that might be big enough to cool and small enough to fit.
    I sen't chevsotolac money this morning for the rounded, corner rear glass from a 50 hardtop.I can't remember who, but someone on this board mentioned this application and I'm sure it will work. Butted together, the 2 pieces will make a curved front windshield.Way cool.
    It's funny,I just got back from getting a grinding wheel and instead of out there working like I planned I'm in here on the Hamb.Time to grind the welds.Later.....

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Beyond cool, you sir are a ruler.

18. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I'd like to tilt the body like a funny car,this is the action I think will work
    [​IMG]
    the popsicyle sticks work
    [​IMG]
    they raise and move to the rear
    and then the body can tip back.I think this can be done using spring shackles, at least thats the theory.
    [​IMG]

19. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Man that is gonna work out nice on the frame.She will be a roller before long!! Later Rob

20. man.. i can't do that with the flavor-ice in my garage freezer.. I just get a bunch of those plastic sleeve things all over the place.

looks good dick!

21. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I will show frame details later

22. WOW THIS IS JUST BAD ASS!!!!!!!! Please keep the progress pics going. I would say that this should be the hamb car of the year for a build.

23. You've got me wound up!! I've been thinking along the same lines since Chuckspeed's post about 60 MPG trad rods. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167392&highlight=60+MPG+Trad+Rod

I've got a pile of fenders and hoods whose shapes are tumbling around in my head. I love the shape of yours, very evocative of the 30's streamline era of design. I can't wait to see this one done. Keep us posted please.

24. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

anything new for the Hoodlum.....

25. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Well,I ran the abrasive cut off wheel up my arm,doh.:mad: I've been waiting for the stitches blah blah blah.I'm behind but there is no time limit so alls cool.Should be back in the garage next week.The frame is next. Alot of the prep work is ready so once we get going it wont take long and I should have a roller.Thanks for asking.Later

26. dam kids and power tools. hope you get better soon we are all waiting for more pics.

27. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Are you waiting for the pics of the stitches? Yuk!

28. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Some editing that I did in photobucket eliminated the photos in all my posts.I screwed up, excuse me.I'm not sure what to do about the Hoodlum Mock Up thread other than move on, I have everything on disks ,if anyone wants something specific let me know,I'll try to help.
    I got the stitches out of my hand and arm.I picked the cut off wheels back up last night,I'm wearing a BIG fn glove on my left hand and am back at it. I'll get some photos up soon.

29. OLLIN

OLLIN

I saw one of these at the swap meet this morning and i thought of your project..
    did you already start making a grill?

[​IMG]

30. Love this thread, but, where'd the pics go? I was wanting to check out how you did the reveal in the framerails but...

Thanks,
    Steve