Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949, 1950, 1951 Mercury Pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Boones, Jul 3, 2007.

1. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Those are awesome comparison shots, Bob. We could use those for the people that say "I just don't see what is different?" I.E. Girlfriends! LOL...

2. Next time we are in the same place,i'm gonna take some better pic's. His car has 4" blocks on the back,otherwise there would be a huge difference in the rear height.

3. buflochp

buflochp
    from Minnesota

I was hoping my old 49' would show up, lost track of it about 10 years ago. Anybody seen her around?

Attached Files:

1947knuck likes this.
  4. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Couple of 4dr. '49 Merc's I had (circa 1957). One customized ('51 rear quarters bought new about $43, '54 Pontiac grille $24):) :D [​IMG]

5. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I know this is waaayyy pre bags, but how did you get the one on the left so low in the front??? That looks awesome.

6. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

As I recall the front was a combination of reversed spindle supports, blocks between spring plate and 'A' arm and cut springs. The rear was de-arched springs and lowering blocks. The frame was deep 'C'd and the driveshaft tunnel was raised. :) :D

7. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

In the works :D

Attached Files:

8. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

That pic don't really look like one taken circa 1957 ! i'm not sure camera were that good..but what i'm sure is that the truck in the back ground is not from the 50's! :D

9. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

The photo was taken with a Canon VI-T 35 mm camera (new at the time). The reason it's in black and white is because in the '50's that was the primary film used. Color film was mostly shot on slide film and color print film was limited and expensive. In as much as this photo was taken in the late fall of the year as I recall, the truck in the backround was a brand new 1958 Ford waiting to have signs painted on the box and cab. This photo was digitally scanned off the original B&W negative. Hope this helps to educate you:) :D

10. Fe26

Fe26

O.K. I'm drooling... you can stop now.... on second thougths..

11. heres some old pics.

Attached Files:

12. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

d'oh ! :eek:

13. IceBox

IceBox
    from Orange CA

14. What a WEENIE! Why don't you just say"nice picture"? Instead of getting out the Forensic Team...WTF!

15. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Back to the Future doors? Ill pass.

17. showrod

showrod

the merc may have "back to the future doors " but I like the bandana the pin up girl is using for a top:D

18. well, since everyone is showing theres, zzziiiiipppp, heres mine. ive been working on it since february. it was a 51 moredoor that i converted it to a two with the help of a rusted heap 50 two door shell a HAMBer hauled down here from michigan. i gave it a 4 inch in the back, 3 inch in the front hair cut, tipped the b pillers about 1.5, camaro clipped it in the front along with a 53 desoto grill, bumper, and dash. 9 inch ford in the rear. i just got done fabricating and installing the rockers as well as using the rear door skin to streach the quarters. hope to do across country trip this time next year in it with the family.

Attached Files:

• 14.JPG
      14.JPG
      File size:
      8 KB
      Views:
    • 13.JPG
      13.JPG
      File size:
      8.1 KB
      Views:
    1947knuck and straykatkustoms like this.
  19. Looks pretty good to me. What are your paint plans?

20. i was going to go suede but i think ive decided too go for a more original look, something nobody else has done. BLACK!!! and hopefully about 4 foot deep. its timeless and never goes out of style. im hopefully going to make it out the west coast with it. i gott drop by and show it of to a buddy of mine out there at Steadfast Customs. if i do ill have to look you up Bob. im debating on the front bumper, 53 desoto or 51 merc?

21. Kinda like asking"what's my favorite color?" It's gotta work for you. Some guys have told me they don't like flames. That's okay,cause I do!,and it's my car. I never liked when guys put a Desoto front bumper,but leave the stock rear one. But that's just me...

22. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I cant wait to get into my 51 project. I dig driving the one on the original chassis, but the late model chassis is going to be a gas.

Maybe a 50 Merc bumper? The desoto looks cool but makes the front end look heavy/boxy. Is that a 49, 50 or 51 grille cavity? First two are pretty much the same, but the use of it might dictate which bumper you want to use.

23. Here is an old one from a few years ago, I didnt do the work on it. It was like a crack whore used up 500 bucks a week till I sold it a few months later. I dont have any idea where it went Chico Ca I think. It doesnt show in the pics, but its a pearl paint with copper pearl seaweed flames. Kinda miss it, dont miss the constant road repairs.

Attached Files:

1947knuck likes this.
  24. im kinda leaning toward the merc front bumper also. the cavity is a partial 50 and a 51 married together. i am using a merc 51 rear

25. kustomkolin

kustomkolin
    from Herts UK

Het straykat,thanks for that link.That Merc is looking gooood.Its good to see a different approach to sledding a Merc.There`s some neat ideas gone into that,not to mention the countless hours of work.Theres a couple of things there that I personally wouldn`t do but hey,it aint my car so I wont get picky,lol.

26. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is one of my favorite Merc of all time. Rick blessed us by driving down this bad merc. Black, no skirts and spiders = Bad ASS!!

Happy Trails,

Mick

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      75.2 KB
      Views:
    1947knuck likes this.
  27. mikes51

mikes51

here's an interesting side by side look at a '51 style front end and a '50 style front end.

My 51 on the left, Kuschop's old ride on the right.

No wonder the 49-50 Merc grill surround is so popular, check out the shape. I used the '51 grill and bumper on mine because I wanted to emphasize the width of the car.