Register now to get rid of these ads!

Attn: Canadians! Bill 203

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by graverobber63, Aug 9, 2007.

1. chopped

chopped

So when do we see a lot of Canadian cars for sale, cheap.

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Dont get upset, just send your cars down here before Big Brother gets them!

3. Abrasive

Abrasive

A fellow Central Albertan. I'm about 8km north of you...

I'm not aware of any Alberta-based organizations that would have any type of political leverage.
    The only good thing is that the automatic instinct of the average Albertan is to do the exact opposite of what the Ontariariorians do/tell us to do...

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

There we go....good ole Canadian solidarity....and spelling.

5. Only one thing worse than an Albertan....an ex-pat Ontarian pretending to be one!:rolleyes: :D Chill its a joke.

The law is totally unconstitional BTW and actually breaks at LEAST 4 of the edicts of our "Charters of Rights and Freedoms" IMO

http://www.corskan.on.ca/svao/

No crime committed, no due process.

Fundamental Freedoms

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
    a) freedom of conscience and religion;
    b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
    c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
    d) freedom of association.

There would be the first violation

11. Any person charged with an offence has the right

a) to be informed without unreasonable delay of the specific offence;
    b) to be tried within a reasonable time;
    c) not to be compelled to be a witness in proceedings against that person in respect of the offence;
    d) to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal;
    e) not to be denied reasonable bail without just cause;
    f) except in the case of an offence under military law tried before a military tribunal, to the benefit of trial by jury where the maximum punishment for the offence is imprisonment for five years or a more severe punishment;
    g) not to be found guilty on account of any act or omission unless, at the time of the act or omission, it constituted an offence under Canadian or international law or was criminal according to the general principles of law recognized by the community of nations;
    h) if finally acquitted of the offence, not to be tried for it again and, if finally found guilty and punished for the offence, not to be tried or punished for it again; and
    i) if found guilty of the offence and if the punishment for the offence has been varied between the time of commission and the time of sentencing, to the benefit of the lesser punishment.

Treatment or punishment

12. Everyone has the right not to be subjected to any cruel and unusual treatment or punishment

There is two and three

Equality Rights

Equality before and under law and equal protection and benefit of law
    15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

And four. Note its says "in particular" NOT "only" I will not be persecuted based on someones "opinion" of my car.

Anyway those are some of your rights as a Canadian.

But again a lot of this is grandstanding for the media and media hype too but I wouldn't just lie down like a sheep and take it like we usually do in this country.

6. ray

ray
    from colorado

okay, so the sky is falling!

i don't pay much attention to canadian politics, but i do pay a little attention, i don't much care for the direction canada has been heading the last few years....and i'll leave it at that.

7. movingviolation

movingviolation

Here is the question..........

What association will counter this act?

We need to find legal representation and have this reviewed. This we know will come at a cost, but.........losing the right to crank the old gal down the road is costly as well.

8. b8man

b8man

they will never take me alive!:mad:

9. budd

budd

OT. i have a friend who was caught with an illegal substance and used this right to keep from going to jail, the cell was deemed to be to cruel for him as he is claustrophobic.

12. Everyone has the right not to be subjected to any cruel and unusual treatment or punishment.

there are many laws made that never get inforced and i think this will be one of them, the cost to inforce this would be to high, but i'm to look into this, sounds like an election vote getter for old people to me.

10. McKee

McKee

Nazism,...alive and well in Canada!

11. This is the problem with posting politics on any board... suddenly there are no intelligent hard working people in Ontario. Don't confuse average people with corrupt politicians filling there pockets and pushing their agendas in a knee jerk way of getting re-elected.

I'm pretty sure old "Norman Bates" McGuinty will get the heave ho. John Tory got beaten as mayor of Toronto by pinko boy now they are 100mill in debt, talking about cutting bus and subway services while out the other side of their face they tell you to use mass transit. WTF use a bike? try that on the Gardiner in February!

The problem is the economy is booming but no one is any better off.

Tory's running for premier in my riding this election pretty much a no brainer ( this is solid "Tory" country anyway). Hopefully blue will take the rest of Ontario. As for the GTA it will most likely stay pretty red. They can pump up their bike tires on the hot air of the liberals.

Rant off

12. The Big M

The Big M

I see that! I go through Blackfalds quite often.

Regarding moefuzz's post, I really don't think this should be a West vs. East issue. Let's not paint all our Eastern brethren with the same brush.

I wouldn't say the politicians who came up with this idea are necessarily corrupt (though it wouldn't surprise me, unfortunately), but it's clear at the very least that they're misinformed, and it's up to us as enthusiasts to set them straight. This is clearly an overreaction (and an unconstitutional one, at that) to the problem of street racing, and we stand to be unfairly targeted...

13. In victoria Australia the police have the power to confiscate and crush your car on a "3 strikes" policy. you do have to get caught being a "hoon" - the buzz word slapped on the whole thing to angry up the everyday man's blood and sell some newspapers- and go to court to prove or disprove that you were guilty. it still worries me that because some Broadmeadows muzzas wanna do skids in their commodores that i may possibly get my car taken away. (i carefully pick my moments that i do really go hard but there's always that chance)
    cheers from Bracksies paradise aka Victoria Australia

14. The actual Bill is not that Draconian it just added the power of the police to impound a car caught street racing. They already had that power for DUI anyway it's just been extended.

Funtioning NOS systems are banned on the street.

One of the real issues that concern motorsport enthusiast was that there is a line in the Bill that refers to any race held on the street that is worded too vaguely and technically would encompass timed "legal" rally and scavenger hunt type races. The word "race" just gets the uninformed all bent outta shape and worried and say it near a cop and merde starts flying for no reason.

15. The rules should be simple yet effective.I`ve never heard of a hot-rod related hit and run.Nor a Kustom or any special interest car 48 and down.
    I guess as we age we become more aware of the laws they want to lay on us,because of the interest in sub-compact rice rockets that are promoted by bad movie makers like The Fast and The Furious.
    I think if they wish to crush a Honda,or any other shitbox in the same family.Then CRUSH THE F^&%^#^CKING THING.Teach the road rats a lesson in respecting the streets.Hell we`ve all road raced at one time or another.....but that was 20+ years ago.
    Just leave me and all my hot-rod buddies alone while we cruise...We can race our cars at Indy if we choose...it.Hot-Rods and Kustoms excluded
    Time-Bomb John

16. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

This bill has actually been passed by 100% of the MPPs in attendance. How many of you Canucks that are bitch'n about this have written to your MPP? I have! And I got a smart ass reply back from the son of a bitch. I asked him whats next? Maybe we can eliminate the court system altogether. Start writing! Although it probably won't do any good since we just had all the ink in our papers about the two assholes in their f*_)*(*ing Asian cars killing people recently. We had a cop in Windsor a while back who was writing up every open wheel car he could find for fenders - because his old lady got splashed by a dune buggy; that prick would probably seize your car with this legislation. We had another who hastled my kid's buddy for 2 years because he was going out with the cop's ex wife. All these cops have to do is say they saw you racing or heard your car was being built for racing and they can take it! What kinda bullshit is that?

I'm kind of appalled that some of us don't even know who their MPP is but if you're really interested look here: http://www.ontariotenants.ca/government/mpp.phtml

17. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

What do you have to worry about if you were not street racing or carrying on like an a clown !!!! And if you were street racing with your hot rod or kustom, then crush it (which was not passed by parliament), as that particular person will destroy the hobby we all enjoy and think about every day.... I have not heard of a rod or kustom causing any problems.

Ya, "All Theses Cops" are just waiting to seize our hot rods and kustoms ???? Hide your hot rods the fed's (that's not 'front engine dragster') are coming, as if there is nothing else for the COPS to do?

18. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Don't you think you should be worried about cops getting the rights to do whatever they want without having to prove something in court? Like I said what's next. You don't have to be street racing, all they need to do is say you were and you're screwed. The assholes doing the racing need to be controlled, but it's a people problem not a car problem. Everyone needs to start using some common sense here! The Torontonians driving like maniacs are not representative of most Ontario drivers - that's crap, and Driving under the influence is a provable crime - this is not. I don't have a problem with the cops, but there are some assholes, same as everywhere.

19. knotheads

knotheads

california already has a very similar law on the books...only difference is that your car cant be crushed till after you are found guilty .

20. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

21. Sorry, but this qualifies as one of the biggest ignorant statements of the year.

22. screwball

screwball

I sent my mpp as well as McGuinty my issues with the bill.

23. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

""Sorry, but this qualifies as one of the biggest ignorant statements of the year""". WHATEVER!! If you read my comment I suggested we read the bill which is posted on the Ontario elaw site to understand what passed. Some of the comments made by various people in Bob McJannett's editorial were not passed by parliament. If we are to argue the law, which we must do, we better understand what was actually passed by parliament..... Don't you think?

24. tjm73

tjm73

Bad link. I get an error message.

25. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

I, for one, have read the bill and I still think it sucks, I have known many cops over the years, in fact my Dad was a cop and I still wouldn't trust some of them with this much authority. What the hell do we have courts for?

26. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor