Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac engine swap --- 390 to 350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dennis M., Aug 7, 2007.

1. Dennis M.

Dennis M.
    from San Jose

I'm tired of my 390 in my 60 Coupe DeVille. I was wondering if anyone knows of a adapter to mount a 350 chevy engine to a stock caddy hydromatic transmission. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis

2. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

3. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

I've never seen or heard of one, but you could probably be able to adapt the 350 to an earlier 50's Cad Hydro through an older aftermarket unit when they were using the earlier hydros for racing behind the chevy v8's.
    Why wouldn't you swap the tranny also while you were changing the motor? Are you perticularly fond of the caddy jetaways?

4. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Dennis,

Im in San Jose and would love to take your old 390 Caddy motor off your hands. Let me know if you want to sell it, as im looking for something to rebuild for a future hotrod project.

thanks,

-scott noteboom

5. Dennis M.

Dennis M.
    from San Jose

Ever since I owned the car it never ran that good. The money I've stuck in it, I just thought it would be cheaper to convert to a 350 and more reliable. As for the tranny, I hoped to save a few $$$ by keeping the stock trans in the car.

Hey Scott -- As for a cad motor, I have another block with heads and a crank. Bad thing is the motor spun a bearing,so the crank is damaged. Also, the motor is apart. If your interested, pm me.

Dennis

6. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

you will be disappointed at a 350 in there,you need some torque to get that boat moving.go for a big block.
    as far as keeping the trans,why? :confused:
    use a TH400 or 700R4 instead.
    oh yeah,in return for this sage advice,give me your old trans so i can get my '61 Coupe DeVille on the road for Billetproof :D
    you can drop it off at my house,PM for directions ;)

7. twofosho

twofosho

It's been said here and other places many times. 500 C.I.D. Cadillac. Big cubes, still easy to find and sometimes quite inexpensively, long lasting high nickel block to make it strong and reliable, light weight (ditch the stock intake for an aluminum high rise and you're in SBC territory), massive torque at low RPMs (great for any cruiser), high HP potential (makes it a popular choice for a lot of GM A bodies including Chevelles), speed parts are getting quite easy to find, strong internet following for support, excellent automatic transmission availability (T400 or built T200R4) or with the addition of a aftermarket flywheel and a Pontiac or Oldsmobile bellhousing a stick shift is not out of the realm of possibilities. And the most amazing thing of all is-get this, it's a CADILLAC!

8. mortecai

mortecai

I doubt if a 350 will be enough power for that heavy of a car. What's wrong with a 425 or 472 or even a 500 cu in Caddy and everything should fit. these motors will supply enough torque to scoot that DeVillle down the road at a reasonable ET.

9. Dennis,

use a 500 like Willie did in his caddy!

10. knotheads

knotheads

1955-57 (mabe even later than 57 )chevy 1/2 ton pick up trucks came a 283 and a hydro .try finding the stock chevy adapter ring.

11. Gabacho_LBC

Gabacho_LBC

I am getting ready to freshin up a 390 Caddy or swap one out to something bigger myself. The 390 in my 62 only has 120k on it and seems to be pretty tight and a solid driver. Does anyone know where to pick up some chrome 390 Caddy Valve Covers?

12. ryno

ryno

try moon they had some before.

13. EXACTLY!!!