Register now to get rid of these ads!

Day Two of the Salt Cured HAMB Tour '07.......Chicago to Omaha

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Aug 8, 2007.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Day 1

Day 2, Saturday Aug 4th
    Chicago, IL to Omaha, NE

We didn’t get as early as a start on Saturday morning as we would have like. The night before the guys from Hot Rod Chassis kept us out kinda late. We took a quick photo of the four of us with the “tour” banner that Larry made.
    [​IMG]

We passed Chicagoland Speedway which isn’t too far from Larry place and where the GoodGuys new Sept show is going to be held.
    [​IMG]

Our next stop was the Route 66 raceway. I remember stopping here on a Power Tour in 2001 or 2002 I think.
    [​IMG]

A photo op on Route 66 before we hopped on I80 westbound.
    [​IMG]

We decided to have breakfast in Morris, home of the HunnertCarPileUp.
    [​IMG]

Anyone want alittle HAMB with their breakfast???
    [​IMG]

Since we were in town we thought we’d drive out to the Grundy County Fairgrounds and show Megan and Scott the place since they’ve never been.
    [​IMG]

Ok, time to hit the highway and put some miles under our belt. we’ve got the whole state of IL and IA to cross today.
    [​IMG]

The bridge over the Mississippi River that seperates IL and IA.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quick stop at the worlds largest truck stop. Quart of 10W30 was $3.50 plus tax! Complete ripoff.
    [​IMG]

You know how Megan loves her trucks. This one was inside the lobby of the truck stop.
    [​IMG]

Lots and lots of bikes on the road and at the gas stops and resturants. The bikers really seem to like the old cars. Everyone waves or thumbs up.
    [​IMG]

Once we reached Omaha it didn’t take long for us to fine Larrys store, Retro Rocket, where a Meet and Greet party was well under way. We were BLOWN away as we turned the corner in the very cool downtown warehouse area and saw all the cars AND a live band set up and playing on a loading dock. We couldn’t believe our eyes and ears!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Larry had spots for our cars saved for us right by the door. We barely got out of the cars and were being WARMLY greet by old pals and new ones were introducing themselves.
    [​IMG]

Spent some time checking out all the cars and meeting the owners. We had Sat Cured HAMB Tour Meet and Greet name tags and stickers for everyone. Sure made it easier to remember names.
    HatMan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Malcom’s
    [​IMG]

Linda, CarKiller, and 47Vert
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Larry was kind enough to throw some Retro Rocket swag our way. Thanks bud! I wore mine the very next day.
    [​IMG]

Me and Carkiller, GREAT seeing you again bud. I always enjoy spending time with you, especially when it involves ice cream.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Larry had all kinds of cool vintage furniture including a bar out in the alley. Made for a very special place to hang out. He also had a couple of grills going with yummy chicken breasts and it wasn’t long before dinner was served which included a table full of side dishes and ice cold beverages in tubs of ice! WOW! What a HONOR to have such a cool party thrown for us.
    I’d like to take this opportunity to once again thank Larry for throwing us such an awesome Meet & Greet. It means the world to me that you think our little trip is worth the amount of time and effort that went into the party. I’m THRILLED I finally got the chance to meet you in person and hang out and get to know you better. It really feels like you and I have been friends forever. I’m truly looking forward to the next time our paths cross.
    Headed back toward the highway looking for a place to crash for the nite. Little did we know that American Idol was in town and rooms were real hard to come by. Had to drive about an extra 20 minutes before we found one but it worked out OK cuz we got a 2 room suite for $59.95.….sure not going to get too many deals like that on this trip.
    Once again got into the room late and barely could keep my eyes open to make the first days on this journeys post. I’m in Big Olds right now typing out this second days blog and will post as soon as we get to the room in ColoRODo Springs and the hopefully have enough engery to type up today (third day‘s) blog entry.
    (side note) internet access has been scarce. I’m trying to play catch up now.

Day 3 Sunday, Omaha, NE to ColoRODo Springs, CO

Day 4 Monday, ColoRODo Springs to Durango/Pikes Peak Climb

Day 5 Tuesday, Durango to Silverton Train Ride

Day 6 Wednesday, Hiking in Blanding, UT

Day 7 Thursday, Blanding to Wendover, UT

Day 8 Friday/Tech

Day 9 Saturday on the Salt

3. Denise,

Another great installment, you never disappoint. Look's like you guy's are having a great time, roadtrips RULE. What an amazing stop for your 2nd day, looked like a rockin party.

Again thanks for the update, I was starting to go through withdrawl waiting for the next update.

Hoping to get to the Salt next year with my own car,

CBB

4. Smallfordsuk

Smallfordsuk
    from Belfast

Have to say that your stories are the best
    Thx for sharing all your travels - James

5. Rusty

Rusty

Cool! Keep us updated

Be safe

6. NoSurf

NoSurf

7. Dirty2

Dirty2

Glad yall are haveing a sweet time.. Keep it going !

8. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

that was a great time, thanks for stopping by. Hat man has some great pics of this get-together on a post by sololobo ......Check it out

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

It was great to see you guys - Denise, Megan, Larry, and Scott - on your way through Omaha.
    Larry did one hell of a great job with the party!

Denise, thanks for the "Day 2" update. Hope the rest of your trip has gone well.

Here's Sololobo's (Larry's) thread with HatMan's photos:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199636&showall=1

Malcolm

10. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

You Guys are just having way too much fun! Were gonna have to put you on a low fun diet after this trip!

11. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Sweet. I cant wait to see you coverage of the salt!

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

I always look forward to your trip-posts, Thanks for taking the time to do them, they are excellant.

13. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Thanks for the pics Denise,it was great meeting all of you. I didn't have my name tag on,no screen name just Rob Lee. That is me and my wife in front of my truck. Have a good trip, thnks for stopping in Omaha. Later Rob

14. carkiller

carkiller

Good ta hear all is going well. Was great you guys were able ta stop in Omaha. Want some ice cream ''little girl"? See ya at Mocan. Cal

15. sololobo

sololobo

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Thank you for the kind words, we felt VERY priviledged to have the fab-four in our hood. Your compadres are the coolest, everyone was stoked having you kiddies here. See ya in MoKan!! The Lone Wolf loves ya all!!! Roadburners of Omaha Rock!!!!! P.S. Larry's name tags-tour stickers-banner are the coolest, they are as cool as he is, and thats WAY cool!!
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

16. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Was looking for the day 2 entry much like looking forward to the next chapter in a good novel. Keep it up, keep it safe and keep it fun.

17. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Again and again thanks for always providing a open window to the world when you are traveling.

It is a sad thing that, we/I can't or won't in todays rushed life, take time to enjoy the things and places you always enlighten us with. I truely am thankful for you and your kindness in allowing us to ride along with you on your journey.

In addition you have helped me tremendously with my 13 year old daughter. She is slowly understanding what this passion her father has is all about. We follow your posts together and she realizes it is cool to be into rods, even if your a GIRL................For that I am also indebted to you forever.:)

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

too cool. and it looks like you ate at 'r' place in morris. i loved that place. i used to live in the neighborhood behind the super 8 some years ago.

who'd have figured one could feel nostalgic for morris, il? good grief.

looks like a great time denise.

19. ray

ray
    from colorado

great photos and story denise. the omaha folks sure put on one helluva party, tough act to follow! our humble M&G in Colorado Springs was humble by comparison!

can't wait to see the rest of the trip coverage!

20. happy hambers four sure

21. I get it now, it's all about having fun!
    I remember, Illnois, gateway to Iowa,
    Iowa gateway to corn fields.
    Enjoy! Enjoy!
    We will all await your next prose, our eyes ablaze with breathless anticipation.
    Thanks
    Hotrod1940

22. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Love the stories from our favorite roving reporter. Use the sun screen and stay cool if you can. I sitting here watching the weather and they are predicting record highs so be careful. Looking forward to the report and thanks again.

23. pitman

pitman

Our ramblin' corespondent Denise! Great story tellin' going on here. The photos and efforts of the HAMB hosts, you are spawning a whole new horde of countryside cruisers. Break...nuthin' and have a good week at the Salt.:D

24. Keep it coming gang! I can hardly wait for updates.

Charlie

25. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW, I gotta tell you, your comments got me all choked up. We just got back from a half days hike and the 4 of us are sitting here eating sandwiches and cooling off in the room with the air on. I, of course, having internet access finally:D , was reading the HAMB out loud to everyone. I had to stop midway thru your reply because I got choked up.:eek:

It's my privledge to be able to share my traveling experiences with others that perhaps for whatever reason might not be able to visit these places or just enjoys seeing where folks are traveling with their cars.

Thanks so much for the kind comments. Trust me, you made my day. I'm looking forward to meeting your daughter and hopefully I'll can take her for a ride in Big Olds and maybe in a few years she can join Megan and I, and maybe some others, on a girls cross country hot rod adventure.

26. Hope to see you guys out there for sure!! I cant believe how for some people come for the salt. Having it in your back yard you can take it for granted at times. It humbles me alot to see this devotion and drive to see things through! Have fun and be safe on the trip and we will all meet soon.

27. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Hamb & salt you can't beat it, pull a handle at the Peppermill I got lucky in 2000

28. 47convt

47convt
    from Omaha, Ne.

Denise ----thanks for coming to Omaha and it was great to finally meet you. Linda & I really enjoyed visting with you, Megan, Scott and Larry. We are big fans of your travel ventures---look forward to hearing more about your trip.

29. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

this is the best thread going as usual for your traveling show's.......I always look forward to reading them and really enjoy your quality pictures.......can't wait til you get to the salt and the hooley pits, I miss it already this year...........see ya at mokan........

30. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Now that the trip is over and we have "ate our way across America" I can officially say that the ice cream in Omaha was the best of the trip! I highly recommend cotton candy flavor or for the daring crowd try Guiness! Grab a cone and go visit Larry's shop right down the road.
    Now for the bad part, I forget the name.... something and Wally's maybe?
    Help me out here Omaha folks!

Thanks again for the awesome meet and greet. That band was really great!