Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T: How many of you are or were in the Navy at one time.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrandonUSN53, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

I still have a special fondness for warm showers and flush toilets :D ,
    My cousin Jeff Phouts was a Sea Bee 67-68 somewhere near Da-Nang,....... I was a little north west of there with the 3rd. Mar. Div

2. InPrimer

InPrimer

I was in the AF. my AF buddy and his Navy brother were taking a leak at a bar, My buddy zipped up and left, his brother took a little longer and when they met up outside the bar, The Navy guy goes " In the Navy, they teach us to wash our hands after we piss" to the answer of the AF guy " IN the AF they teach us not to piss on our hands"

3. lolife

lolife

I was working on my ancestry stuff, and ancestry.com has a lot of the ships logs from WW2. I knew my uncle was in the Navy, but he never talked about it. His wife first met him when he was in the hospital and she was a nurse. Now I know why he was in the hospital and was so jumpy when I snuck-up behind him when I was a kid: CV-9 USS Essex.

Sorry to say, I flew my 20 as a crewdog in an air conditioned 707 with box-lunches...

4. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

SHHHHHHH don't tell anyone. Great to here from someone that was in the same shit.

US Army 1st SOC & 7th SOC.

5. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

USNR 1962-4. Heavy Cruisers USS HELENA and SAINT PAUL..

6. willys33

willys33
    from New Mexico

Joined Navy '59...subschool to Sablefish (ss303), Corporal, (SS346), Jallao (SS368), Grayling (ssn646) and Shark (ssn591). Retired in '80. Military not for everyone BUT everyone should cycle thru it.

7. Seems like there are alot of submariners on here. I've been in almost four years now, currently an ET3(Electronics Technician) on a DDG. It's not so bad but I have a feeling I'll enjoy it alot more when I'm stationed back in the states. I agree with most of what has been said, I've grown up alot because of my time in. It's definitely not for everyone but 99% of the people I know who are getting out are glad they did it even the ones who seem to really hate it. It's a good experience.

8. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

4 Years in the aviation comuntity stationed at lemoore ,Ca The arm pit of the navy the worst 4 years of mylife

9. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

yay, go lemoore! actually i'm spending a beautiful lemoore saturday at work now with the reserve guys. sure ya dont wanna come back and hang out?? :D :rolleyes:

10. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

Enlisted in the Navy in 68 to get away from home, St. Augustine, FL. Went to San Diego for boot then got orders for Aviation Electrician's School (AEA) in Jacksonville, FL, 32 miles from home. 26 weeks in school then transfered to NAS Jax, Jacksonville as an intermediate maintenance level technician. Spent 2 years in IMA at NAS Jax then transfered to VP-16, homeported NAS Jax. So much for getting away from home. VP-16 was an anti submarine warfare Patrol Squadron, and for you bubbleheads we used to always say "sink them all, let God sort them out on the bottom".Easier to find a sub then to identify them. With VP-16 we were at home ported for 10 months then overseas for 5 at such hard places as Bermuda, Sicily, and Spain. Re-enlisted while in VP-16. In 75 I went to C7 (Advanced Electronic School) in Millington, TN for 26 months then got orders for Millington , TN., as an Instructor, in the now moved, Aviation Electrician's "A" School. Got out of the Navy in 78 as an AE1 (E6)after 10 years, (what a dumb ass). Went to work with a Tech College that provided Civilian Instructors at the trainning Command in Millington, TN. Spent another 10 years there teaching Navy Schools (AEA, AVA, AFTA, AVC7). So here's another sailor that never stepped foot on a ship.

11. 2002p51

2002p51

Enlisted in March of '67, went to boot camp in San Diego. Then 2 years at NAS Jacksonville loading bombs and ammo for shipment to Viet Nam. Came back to NAS Ream Field in San Diego for 2 more years in HC-3 helicopter squadron and even spent some time on Shore Patrol in downtown SD. When I got out in '71 I went to work for the Navy as a civilian and spent the next 25 years working alongside uniformed personel in a vareity of jobs.

12. Mutt

Mutt

I was in Recruit Company 345. Mostly Ohio and California dudes.

Mutt

13. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I grew up in the Long Beach area of So.Cal. so I was Navy all the way. When down to inlist in the Navy some time in 1964 was turned down they said I had to many police contacts!!! 1965 I got my first draft notice, sent home court pending, got married late '65 got another draft notice, sent home court pending!!! Finally draft notice number 3, on 4-12-66 I went to the induction center in down town L.A. told my wife see ya later and the next thing I know I'm in the Army at Fort Ord, California.
    Going into the Army was the best thing to ever happen to me.

14. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

'65 - '69
    boot in great lakes
    newport,r.i.
    nam
    new london,ct.

15. Lowbrow52

Lowbrow52

I have been in for 14 years. Joined out of High School and I am loving every minute of it. I am an A School instructor in Ingleside, TX.

16. SHIPFITTER1955

SHIPFITTER1955
    BANNED
    from wyo

HT2 sw SWRMC SAN DIEGO SHIPFITTER/SHEETMETAL SHOP

been in since 01 got a year left.......the navy has become a joke.....just my opinion though......im suprised theres not more HTs on hamb......

17. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Navy, Went in 6//15/67, San Diego Boot Camp then straight to the USS Enterprise where I stayed until the day I got out in October of 70 on an early out.

18. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Enlisted '69
    Boot camp great lakes
    Engineman school - Great Lakes
    Waukesha engine school - Long Beach
    USS Engage, Pearl Harbor
    Navy Divers School second class - San Diego - Class of Feb. '7
    Bought my '58 Corvette in San Diego for $700-drove from Coast to Coast
    Was a diver on the USS LaSalle - LPD 3 - Norfolk Va.
    Uss Affray

I'd bet I'm the only Navy guy to ever haul his '58 Corvette on a Navy ship. Hauled it from the shipyards Philadelphia, Pa to Norfold Va. I agreed when I saw how they loaded them at the shipyard, on a cable sling. Had a heart attack when we unloaded at Norfolk, they used a damn cargo net!! Anyway, it didn't get hurt.

I hated it but I wouldn't trade the memories for the world.

19. guy51usa

guy51usa

usn71-75 usnr 75-94 , BUC recalled to active duty oct 90 to april 91 for desert shield desert storm spent the whole time at subic bay, could tell stories all night long about that place that you wouldn't believe but anyone who has been there will never forget it.

20. Spent my time in Atsugi Japan working on H3's (HS-12) 1992-94 the USS Independence (Injured penis) CV67 was still in Yokosuka

21. Eight years in Navy starting in 89. Two nuke subs. Non-Nuke conventional mechanic (A-gang). Diver qualified in 94. Was in the gulf doing spec ops during the first gulf war (Desert Storm). Three other spec ops (SEALS and Marine Recon), seven deployments and 3 Trident Patrols. 34 counties in 6 years (including North Pole). Got out as MM1 (SS/DV) and wouldn't change a thing. Way more good times than bad.
    Working at a nuke plant, as an Operations Supervisor, for the last 10 years.

22. brewsir

brewsir

NOPE! I was an ELT on the enterprise for 4 years,2 west pacs and a world cruise.

23. Leon

Leon

Enlisted in '69 "to see the world" and caught 2 ships returning from Nam on the way to the yards, and spent 3 1/2 years in the desert at China Lake. When I got out in 75 I went back to China Lake to do my thing as a civilian and retired from there in '99

24. mcload

mcload

Regualr USN '73-'76; Boot in Orlando; Stationed at Alameda Naval Air Station for duration; I was an airdale. Enjoyed my time in the service; and the benefits got me through college. (I received a draft notice and chose Navy over Army...wish I had done Air Force actually). But its all good.

Patrick

25. buflochp

buflochp
    from Minnesota

Christmas 65 in Great Lakes, then I spent 4 years on the Forrestal CVA-59, got out Oct. 69.

buflochp

26. gowjobs

gowjobs

Went to boot in Orlando back in '87. Nuke A School in '88. Washed out of Nuke Power School and went to U.S.S. America CV-66 as a conventional MM3. Did three years there before the end of Desert Storm in 1991, whereupon the Captain gave me the option of probably coming to see him at Mast again and getting a dishonorable discharge, or taking an early administrative discharge and losing my G.I. bill but without the hassle to which my constant refusal to put up with my MMCM's political BS was liable to lead.
    Carriers suck - nearly every chief and officer there looks at it as a stepping stone to a promotion rather than a ship that needs to be well run.

I'm glad I went in - I was an asshole and a punk before I went in. Now I'm just an asshole.

27. Hedders

Hedders

1965 Boot Camp in San Diego, First 4 mos. of 1966 at A school in Great Lakes, U.S.S Ranger CVA-61 May of 66 to Oct. 68. PBR Mobile Base #1 north of DaNang til Dec, 69 and discharge. MM3. Hell of a ride.

28. orphaneddie

orphaneddie

HM2 ... Camp Pendleton from 1991 to 1997! Still doing some reserve time out of Los Angeles!

29. Wasn't in the NAVY, but I was in the "Department of the Navy"- the MEN's department! Semper Fi!! I spent 2 years watching the grass grow at NSB Bangor, WA. Then I was off to Camp Lejeune and a 6 month pump to the Med. aboard the USS Guam. That actually turned into a 7 month pump because we got sent over to do gator squares off of the coast of Kuwait for a month (Jan-Feb '98). I can say one thing for the Navy, their chow halls beat the hell out of any in the Corps.

30. NOBILLETA

NOBILLETA

Enlisted in summer 67, with encouragement from my draft notice. Boot at great lakes fall 67, then to Millington for aviation hydraulics training, from there to NAS Alameda, and VR130 to work on C1A and C131 recips for 2 years and eventually to VA196 in Whidbey Island Wa. to be deployed on the USS Enterprise for fun and sun off the coast of VietNam, Early discharge on arrival back in the states Feb. 71.