Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chev 265- 3 speed- Hurst shifter - 5000 miles-

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twochops, Aug 3, 2007.

1. twochops

twochops

A friend of mine just updated his 38 Ford rumbleseat convertible that he built in the 1950's as strictly a show car. He now has a 265 Chev 3 speed -Hurst shifter that he is trying to figure out what it is worth. It was
    a new crate engine in 1955 and because it was on a show car it was driven only about 5000 miles. Can anyone help me to figure out a
    reasonable selling price for him?
    Thanks for your help
    T.C.

2. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Do you know if it is a 55 or 56-57 265 the difference is no full flow filter in 55. I really like the 265's with the full flow. I think it would be worth more to a restorer than a hot rodder. I recently bought a standard bore 56 265 complete carb to pan for $300.

3. Squablow

Squablow

I don't think I want to know what went in the car to replace the same '55 265 that had been there for 50 years.

But anyway, I bought a '56 265 from another HAMBer that ran great but leaked oil (needs gaskets and whatnot) for $200 a year or so ago. If the one from your friend's car runs good and doesn't smoke or make noise he can probably get $400 for it, maybe another $100 for a 3 speed tranny with a Hurst shifter on it. (nitpick time, sorry in advance) There are no such things as Hurst tranny's and it's spelled with a U.

4. The engine could be worth quite a bit if it has a blank pad. With the proper stampings it could become a "numbers matching" Corvette engine. ( "F56GR" would get my attention)

5. twochops

twochops

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    IT DOESN,T HAVE ANY STAMPINGS ON BLOCK WAS NEVER IN A CHEVY
    T.C.

6. patgizz

patgizz
    from cleveland

he was referring to restorers committing fraud by buying crate type motors that never had a ID or suffix stamped in them and then stamping them to create a "numbers matching" block to make a car appear all original.

7. To give you another data point on price, I know of a 265 that was sold recently for about $1200. However, that engine was a fresh full rebuid that had not been fired. It was fully dressed with proper accessories and it came with receipts for $2000 for parts and machine work.
    Unless your friend has solid documentation that the engine only has 5000 miles total, it is just another 265. Any buyer would have to assume needs a rebuild. The transmission has no real value, even if it is low mileage.