Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sign painters - 1 Shot on fabric?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt Six, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Curt Six

Curt Six

Sorry for the slightly off topic post, but I know there are a lot of other sign painters on here. Anyone had any luck using 1-shot on fabric? Working on a banner that's going outside and wasn't sure if it would work or just crack once dried. Thanks!
    Curt

2. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

If it is a heavy fairly close weave and you roll it as aposed to folding it for storage you should be OK.

This is a picture of a "faux" leather jacket I did. It gets worn occasionaly and used as a sign at shows, Holding up OK. Some kind of microfiber from JC Penney.

Probably want to put a sealer coat on the fabric to minimize bleeding.

My opinion...which when added to $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. lol

GV

Attached Files:

3. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not a sign painter, however I am an oil painter. Oil based paint and fabric usually don't mix well unless the fabric is sealed first. Oil begins to eat away at fabric that isn't sealed....it will be fine for short periods of time...but as time passes you will notice some weird things.....But I would say just try it and see....

I'm sure it will depend on the fabric you use as well.

4. What kind of "fabric" are you using ?

I think commercially available banners are some sort of coated vinyl.
    Using 1-Shot shouldn't be a problem.

5. Curt Six

Curt Six

I have used it on regular vinyl banner material with good results. This stuff I'm using's called Sunbrella...its used in awnings a lot. I did a test panel last night and it looked pretty crappy because it doesn't hold an edge at all, so I'm going to try screen printing inks. Thanks for the input though!
    Curt

6. james

james

I lettered an awning for a restaurant that I "think" was sunbrella. I pounced it out, then painted the letters with a water based primer, than went over it with one shot. Last time I saw it the awning was rotting away, but the lettering still looked good. it was just rotting away from the sun.

7. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

I have a pair of canvas Vans slip on shoes I had a local striper lay some licks on with one shot... He said it was a little tricky to do, as the paint wanted to "bleed" unless he kpet it pretty unthinned, but they've been holding up very well, and they flex alot obviously.

8. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Heya Curt,

We have used straight 1 Shot on leather jackets, vinyl,etc.....no problems...also 1 Shot over Auto Air white sealer on stuff like felt RF hats and more absorbent materials....worked great as well......

Ace