Register now to get rid of these ads!

COSTA RICA, any cars or HAMBERS down there, I'll be there in september.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Casny, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I'll be leaving September 3rd, right after the Primer Nats, for Costa Rica, any HAMBERS or old cars down there.
    Rust is probably a huge issue there, with all that tropical humidity, but just in case I find something down there, how hard would it be to export a car, or a body from there.
    I might also go to Nicaragua and Panama.
    Any HAMBERS down there.
    Probably wishfull thinking, but I leave the country at least once a year, for some wild location, and I'm always looking for that 32.:D
    Thanks Chris

2. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

3. Candy is dandy
    But liquor is quicker
    You can drink all the liquor, down in Costa Rica.
    Won't be nobody's business but your own…

4. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Been there 3 times, and may have another trip in the works (if my doctor lets me go). Love it down there. Never seen old cars with the exception of VW's.
    Have a great time regarless of whether or not you find your 32.

5. Everything is diesel, if your into that kind of thing.

6. 32 isn't too old! Hope she has a sister. They wear thongs down there...OOOOWEEE! Maybe you can look for a 32 Ford while you're down there too. HA HA!

7. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

Been there ... not a hot rod to be seen all diesel powered and the oldest thing I saw was a VW bug

8. hatch

hatch
    from house

good luck with the cosmetic surgery.....get the "BIG ONES"!!!!..:)

9. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Diesel, Schmiesel, I don't care.
    Does anybody acctually know about Costa Rica, besides Coby (Road apple), or are you guys all monday morning quarterbacks:D :D :D :D :D :D.
    I know you've been down there, Irish Mike. Right?
    BTT.

10. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I take that as a compliment, thanks.:D :D :D
    Thanks Coby, I don't expect to find a 32, but you never know.
    Why don't you come down there with me, so we can catch some "Denge Fever", together or get bitten by some poisonenous snakes. Good times. Gotta live alittle.
    Really???

11. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Are you going to the East coast or West coast? Everybody flies into San Juan and then out to the town of your choice from there. It's real primitive there with little or no medical facilities so don't do anything stupid and get hurt. I've been to the West coast and stayed at a place called Crocadille(sp?) Bay on the Olso peninsula. That's where the surfing is second best in the world and the off shore fishing is also unbeatable. We boated 6 110-120lbs sails before 10AM and were back at the lodge by noon. You only have to go about 10 miles off to get into the big fish. It is a rain forrest so we flew into the jungle and landed on an old drug smugglers air strip. When we left the plane came in and pulled up to the loading area (they was no terminal just the strip) the pilot shut off the motors. We climbed aboard and guess what, the motors would not start. So, here comes the ground crew, a couple guys in shorts and slaps, with a battery and jumper cables. After a couple minutes of sparks flying, one of our guys connected it and managed to fire the main engine. Then for the second time, we climbed aboard again and took off. That was the longest 45 minute trip back to San Juan I've ever taken. Facts: prostitution is legal, the average annual income is $600.00. Do not go out by yourself or you may not come back, no shit, they don't like US gringos much and will rob you at the least. It's a paradise but there are plenty of rebels and criminals and not many police so stay in your resort. The roads suck, mostly dirt and full of wash boards and holes, with few gas stations. As I said, it's very primitive. Beware, and keep your guard up because the region is unstable and you won't get much help if something happens. However, you can have a good time. Good luck. Oh, take a horseback trip up in the tropical rain forests, that's cool.

12. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Thanks for the info, I've acctually fixed and airplane motor in east Africa about 13 years ago just to get out of the place, I'm sorta used to the cultural by-products the world has to offer, not always the best.
    As for coasts, we are doin' both east and west coast, Limon area and Quepos area, not Golfito, this time.

13. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

My neighbor goes several times a year. I think he has a ranch out there and a least one GF! he seems to like the area in fact I just found out he took off last week. when he gets back ill ask him more about it

14. Big Dan

Big Dan

Can't believe theres been no responce from anyone down there..... I've never been to Costa Rica ... but know a few guys that go down there...... They all go down for one of the countries greatest pastimes F or F ,,,, One is fishin.... They say the girls are beautifull..... Oh buy the way good luck with the old cars there (that makes it an official post......) Dan

15. Yea Chris, we went the day after Christmas and stayed past the New Year. We stayed in Tamarindo and traveled from there. The surf was good and we felt very safe, no problems. From what I've read, a lot of the Americans are going south to Panama. It is expensive in some of the Costa Rican cities, I guess south is cheaper. Curious to see what happens if Noriega ends up there in Sept. I looked hard for anything (car related) that looked old but came up empty. It sounds like you've been before, I think the ultimate trip would be to start at the Nicaraguan border and travel (surf) all the way to Panama. Someday. Have a great time! Mike

16. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

i've been throughout central america and have never really seen any cars that have caught my eye. enjoy your trip though, sounds great.

as far as safety-- the only place i've felt overall unsafe there is some spots in El Salvador, and it can get real sketchy heading into southern Panama. other than that, in my experience things are pretty calm. most fear comes from being (and looking) lost in a different place.

have a good time. -scott noteboom

17. I was there in 2001 and it was nothing like that for me. Are you driving your panel there? I rode my bike there.

Thanks,
    Kurt

Attached Files:

18. I found a picture of a '32 ...

Attached Files:

19. hightest

hightest

i spent about a month there last march. we did most of costa rica and a bit of nicaragua too.
    i didn't see any 'hamb' type cars, but there's not too much in the way of cars i don't like and i saw tons of cool stuff.
    my first real neat car was an old 510 all done up, and i've always wanted an el camino, so i was thrilled to see tons of tiny early 70's japanese el camino type cars around- slammed, 13" 4 spoke rims, awesome. also saw tons of fj toyotas and land rovers. also saw several dirt bikes that had evolved into the toughest looking motard/mad max type machines i'd ever seen. but that was about it for the neat stuff, and nothing really old, like 50's old anyway.
    but we weren't there for the tin, we were there for the surfing.

20. rillosprings

rillosprings

jus go to jaco and eat at jaco bell and stob by the La Bruja its the raddest little metal bar the owner carries two pistols at his side and serves the best drinks ever... no cool cars but plenty of surf and good weather, and costa rica has the best pizza joints..
    joey

21. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Thanks Scott,
    I know not to walk around with a fannypack a big camera and a USA is #1 shirt, I'm always the lo-key/lo-rent looking dude that is not worth robbing.
    I'm acctually looking for some property down there, for retirement reasons.
    Any advice on that. I know I'm vearing off into OT, big time, but any advice would be appreciated.
    Chris

22. rillosprings

rillosprings

if you get a chance check out playa negra or playa hermosa for property me and some buddies have been looking into it aswell those spots are really nice for property you have the jungle behind you and the ocean in front..

23. I went looking for a place to buy also. They have some strange laws benefiting the locals. They could claim a property if it isn't occupied for a certain amont of time. A few of my friends bought in condo complexes, more secure, easier to rent, wierd laws do not apply. Another friend has a fishing boat in Jaco, Los Suenos marina, The Marriot is there, condos in the low millions. I'm planning on going again and looking, I'll probally go the condo route. You can't go wrong for surf, trashy water during the rainy season but better swell. I'll talk to you more at the primer nats. Mike

24. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Oh yeah, the women there are absolutely beautiful. I would love to retire there if possible. There are good and bad points to the place but mainly a paradise if the politics stabilize I'm in for going back.

25. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Anybody else have info on the region???
    Thanks, Chris

26. BEDSLEAD

BEDSLEAD
    from ONTARIO CA

so far all the descriptions are true have a good time and take a break from cars (it was hard for me to do that) but its a nice place
    but i did see a local riding quad with big aluninum maltese cross on the front.

27. the-rodster

the-rodster

Beautiful country, nice people, no old cars.

Probably the only time in my life i will be right next to an erupting volcano.

Good luck.

Rich

28. repoguy

repoguy

This is an interesting thread for me because me & my best friend have been talking about moving down there for awhile now, but I have to admit, it would be very difficult to leave the car hobby behind. Seems like there's pretty much nothing for our kind of stuff down there. Bummer.

29. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

If there is no "car scene" down there, we'll have to create one.
    If I ever move down there I'm bringing the cars and turn them into 4x4's so I can drive them:D :D :D.
    All kidding aside, I don't think cars fair well down there because of the humidity, so I can understand that there arent any old cars there.

30. repoguy

repoguy

I was under the impression that bad roads & crazy drivers are the issue more than the humidity. More than ample humidity here in Florida and the cars hold up fine.

Once again, this has been in my head for awhile and it actually stresses me out a little. All of that surfing, fishing, cheap livin' and hot women,......but no old cars. :(

I like the first 4, but that last one is a bitch!

Maybe we can be Costa Rica's pioneer hot rod guys?