Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Project: 1958 Buick Special

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kojack, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Well, got a new project and I think i've finall got something worth a shit to really drop some cash into. It's a 1958 Buick two door hardtop Special, a full project to the end but I think it'll really be something when it's done. I just thought I'd post a shot, ask folks some idea on what would look good, and get some ideas for motor options.

It's got thr 364 and dyna but it's froze. What are my options other then just rebuilding and popping it back in? Can I get an adaptor and run a chevy because it's so close to the Bel-Air frame? Should I go all chevy front to back? I'm not concerned about keeping it stock. Reliablility is the most important, but nailhead do look fucking cool.

Any cool kustom ideas as well?

[​IMG]

2. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

these can be some the the coolest cars ever with a nice paint job, the right stance and wheels....nice ride. '58 gm cars are some of my favorites.

3. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

Awesome ride. That thing is just dripping chrome and style- congrats. I'd go all Chevy if you're concerned about reliability. Maybe build a nailhead and keep it close to the Buford on an egine stand in the garage....haha.

4. Well, it's already been lowered 2 in the back, and it's got early Buick rallies all around. What's cool is you can go kinda muscle car with it or slam it with crusier skirts for a sled look...

5. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

you could sell parts off of it that you don't intend to ship and use that money to rebuild the drivetrain.

6. tstclr

tstclr

Go crazy on the nailhead, paint it black (or red) and run doggie dish hubcaps with fat rubber. That's what I'd do.
    Todd

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

lmao, first off the Nailhead is a damn reliable motor, the botom end wil out last a Chevy, it's pretty much bullet proof and all forged.

Second, whats with the Buford shit? There are no Ford parts on that thing... Get it straight...

8. ratt7

ratt7

Really nice car, I believe that the 1958 buick had more chrome on it per weight then any other GM car at that time. 1958 was last of the big chrome cars. Keep us updated.

9. Definately sled material, I like Cadillac for drive train that's a heavy car and nothing is as reliable as a big Cad motor. Good luck, Rags

10. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

What would look best is if it was sitting in my driveway :)

Rebuild the nailhead, plenty of stuff for it still. Check out AACA site which has a huge Buick contingent there (just don't talk about rodding it) for resources.

Deep blue metallic and cream with matching interior, wide whites, keep the chrome (well most of it anyway).

11. Problem with a motor/trans change is if you ditch the torque tube you need to build an entire new rear suspension of some sort. The torque tube is what keeps the axle located under the car.

The frame under there is nothing like a Chevy. '58 Chevys have the X-frame; these have a ladder frame with a big X-crossmember. '57 Buick is similar and '49-'57 Pontiac are also similar, but share no components. '57 Buick front suspension is different, but the rearends share some parts.

Any of the later nailheads (58-64) should be a bolt-in. Or free up and build the one that's in it.

And yeah, there's a lot of expensive parts on one of these, chrome, taillights, the grille, and so on.

12. My 58 Pontiac was kind of a taildragger until I shelled the reared and when the Ford 9" was installed it came back a little jacked up in the rear, like Steve Bolander's 58 Chevy. It looks good either way.

The Buick was the chrome queen that year. I like them, but they aren't as easily done as some of the other GM 58s.

13. That's a bummer about the torque tube. I was hoping a motor swap, and chop off the inclosed driveline and have another one made wouldn't be so bad. We'll see, I'm soaking the hell out of the motor, I might be lucky, but I might have to tear it up. We'll see.

I'm lucky the trunk had a SHITLOAD of extra parts, lots of doubles and a few triples I can E-bay to fund the project. I just can't WAIT to drive it.

14. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

Now I'm thinkin' a solid kandy paint job and striping, shaved fender ornaments and trunk emblems....Skylark wire wheels and thin WWs...TnR interior....get her really low and fancy that grille up with a tube grille or stainless mesh...think late late 50s to early 60s show car-style and you can't lose with this car. Just my .02

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

hunh? :confused: fancy up the grill? that's the closest to a custom grill that ever came from the factory......

16. Having been under them, you might be able to do something, but you'd need a whole other rearend. Now if you can find one that has the spring perches in the same place for the coils, it would just be a matter of adding some trailing arms and a swaybar. You'd need to measure the crap out of it and hit the wrecking yards and see what you can turn up.

17. buick 58

buick 58

I have a 58 special custom. I am running olds 455 with 400 tranny. That combination will really hook up and fly. I got a $126 speeding ticket last month to prove it. hehehe The frame has been subframed with a 76 cutlass and notched 6 inches. I installed airbags and it lays frame hard!! The top is flaked and the rest of the car is a custom mix with copper kiss pearl. I have tons of pinstriping which I dont think anyone can have enough of. Everything has been shaved and the rear quarters were extended 10 inches. If you need any parts I have plenty of parts in the basement. A guy was parting out 3 buicks and I bought everything off him. I just need to finish my interior and get some chrome replated which I am not looking forward to!!

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Nope, just need a center section from a full size Buick with an open driveline... (61-63 works I believe) I know we've discussed this before as they have on the Nailhead list as well....

19. buick 58

buick 58

20. hot4hotrods

hot4hotrods
    from U.K

Hi, Just discovered your old post here. How's the project going? I have also have a 58 2 door, mine has the B pillar and original fender skirts.
    I was going to say, in case you haven't done anything engine-wise yet, rebuild the nailhead. Mine sat for ten years with water in the rear passenger side piston, it was seized solid, bought a rebuild kit from ebay, had it re- bored with oversized pistons of 0.60, it still runs strong as ever. I replaced everything except the crank. Those nailhead engines are the best. I'm in the process of sorting all the bodywork out on mine, for a re-spray this summer. I'm going two tone satin black and turquoise, want to lower the rear end, fit functioning lake pipes, and at some point a Wiand 3x2 intake with 3 Rochestors.

21. If you can cut and weld a new rear end shouldn't be a problem. Check out the set-up that Hot Rods to Hell sells. It's pretty easy to put a 401 in there too.