Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tough Decisions, input and thoughts requested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrblack30, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Well, recently I came across the sweetheart of a deal on a 55' Pontiac Cheiftain that I was buying for the futrure Mrs. Jrblack 30 as a weding present. I am almost there with the funds and everything is ready to go through with buying it...... But last night I ran smack dead into a really great deal. An original 31 Vicky, that is in basket case form for about the same price.

Now here is the delima. Buy the 55' Pontiac and make her extremely happy and therefore "LIFE WILL BE GOOD" if you know what I mean. Or buythe Vikki which I have always wanted and make me HAPPY and have her gripe about all the cars and projects I have.

Well lets hear it guys, do I go with a life of glea or possible missery, but I have a Vicky!!

2. Life will be good.....as long as ya keep momma happy.

3. Tony

Tony

Hmm, though call.
    BUT, knowing your coupe personally and the simple fact that it's a bitchin car...i think i'd pass on the Vicky and get the little lady the Poncho..
    I guess i'm kinda thinking it'll not only make her happy because she'll have her own ride, but by having two running vehicles you guy's can roll to stuff together and she won't have to feel left out..
    If you guy's had a few married year's under your belt already i'd say tough luck and buy the Vic :).........but starting out that way might get messy..
    Plus, a running car vs a basket case makes it easier for you to make the changes you wanted to on your coupe..you won't have two project's to deal with....at the moment anyway.
    Honestly, i'd probably get the Pontiac.
    But that's just my 2 cents..:D

Tony

4. Buy the 55' Pontiac Cheiftain and put a deposit on the vicky,,,,even if you have to borrow a few bucks,,,then everybody will be happy,,,HRP

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It's better to give than to receive...buy the little lady the Poncho and your selfless act won't go unnoticed. Not to mention the warm fuzzy feeling you'll get when you see how happy you've made her.

Now after saying that I need to go shoot something or slam a beer to show that I still have a pair.

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Wives come and go, but a Vicky.......

7. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

what pricetag are we talking, just wondering? I would say the pontiac though....

8. Buy the Pontiac, then tell a HAMBro where to get the Vicky, that way your fiance/wife will be happy, another HAMBer will be happy, and the Vicky will stay in the family, where you can keep an eye on it.

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

You'll never enjoy the Vicky with the bad feeling hanging overhead. Buy the Pontiac, and try to get the Vicky. If it's meant to be yours, it'll happen.

10. Tony,

She doesn't come along much, she really isn't into cars that much. When she does ride along she says she wants a Grace Kelly car, but doesn't know what it is. She keeps saying she'll show me when she finds it. I figuire that the Poncho is close and a really nice car for her to start with.

He also has a 32' five window and a few other Model A's. I know there would be no way in hell I could swing the Duece and the other model A's are nice but I already got one. He also has a couple A trucks, one was chopped in the late fifties and never finished.

11. 49_Ford_PU

49_Ford_PU

I agree with most of the others, family first. If momma's happy every body is happy.

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Does the future Mrs jrblack30 WANT the Pontiac? If she wants a Grace Kelly car, is the Pontiac what she wants?

My dad used to buy my mom guns and saddles. She didn't hunt or ride horses, and he couldn't figure out why she wasn't thrilled!

If you're the one who wants to get her the Pontiac, but she doesn't necessarily want it, get the Vicky.

13. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

The Easiest way for you to do this in my opinion is simple.

You take HER to see both cars and let HER make the decision, If she has an old car in mind, GRACE KELLY CAR, and you both dont know what it is she may not even be happy with the Pontiac.

I really dig Pontiacs and that one would be cool as hell, I am not a fan of the Vicky... the look like a shortened Sedan & only look good full Restoration... My own opinion.

if you can swing the Vicky real cheep, Buy it & turn it to make some CASH, Then buy the pontiac.

OR figure out what a GRACE KELLEY car is & find one..

If she is going to be involved with this purchase at all, I suggest you let HER decide or else it will be a thorn as long as you own either car YOU choose. Cars will always be available again... Give her a chance at the decision, The more you involve her, the better it gets :D

14. Squablow

Squablow

A quick Google search reveals that Grace Kelly drove a Rover 3500 until the day she died. Not very romantic considering she died in the Rover when she apparently lost control and drove it over a cliff. Here's a pic.

I agree that you should have her look at the Pontiac before you buy it for her. If she really likes it, then definitely buy the Pontiac. If she doesn't, either find her what she would really enjoy having, or find out if she'd be mad if you brought the vicky home. I'd personally rather have the Pontiac either way, but that's just me.

Attached Files:

15. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

If it is anything like my place, when the mrs. is happy the whole family is happy. When the mrs. is not happy everyone suffers.......
    Seriously, let her decide between the two. I'm working on a 63 galaxie ragtop but since I have been lurking this site she has made many comments about the next one being a 30's style traditional rod. Given a choice today, she would want me to build an early style rod for her.

16. teddyp

teddyp

if she wants the pontiac buy it maybe she buy the vicky for you

17. 416Ford

416Ford

This is a strange way to start off the marriage, asking us to make a decision that would normally be disused between the husband and wife before a big dollar purchase is made. I would take the Pontiac myself but my wife would say no to both and buy a muscle car.

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Dude..yer askin us?...you said you werent married yet right?

19. Cancel the wedding and buy the Vick

20. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Ask the old man if he's got a 'lay-a-way' plan available. Seriously though, ask him if he'll allow you to buy the Vicki, but allow him to hang onto it until you get it paid for. That way, you can still get the future Missus a ride that you'll both enjoy, AND you'll still have the Vicki down the line for whenever you're ready for it. At least you'll know you've got 2 projects going, and probably get your fiance involved more.

I'd bet she's not a car chick now because she doesn't know anything about cars, but the more she learns, the more addicted she'll become. The more I have my wife around my stuff, the more she looks on the sides of the road, behind buildings, and anywhere else she can find for stuff for me. She'll admit she doesn't know much about the cars and 'stuff', but she's figured out she wanted a "car with fins", but not a caddy. I found her a '55 Pontiac awhile back, and she likes it - alot - so it'll probably be hers one day in the next year or so.

21. I'm gonna go "ditto" on this one. BUT, you better hope she's not reading your thread here.

22. BtDt

BtDt

Its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission!! go get the vicky ..than plead with her to keep you..lol..cars are a desease Sorry No Cure!

23. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Sounds like the Pontiac is not sure to make her happy or what she may want, get her involved with the decision then you can work it out together.