Register now to get rid of these ads!

The car that started it all.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JJK, Jul 24, 2007.

1. JJK

JJK

Well after spending the majority of my teenage years and early twenties trying to get this car (53 Buick hardtop) I finally brought her home. She sat next to a run down two room shack by my parents since 1967. The guy who owned it must have decided he was coming back for it he took a brush and painted the whole car with brushable primer glass, chrome, the whole thing. Thats what saved her. If I could have gotten to her about ten years ago I would be in better shape but I'll still take it. I always say it's all for sale but not this one she's staying in the family.

Sitting since 67
    [​IMG]
    How come I half to comalong everything with 4 flats?
    [​IMG]
    Taildraggin already!!!
    [​IMG]

2. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Very nice! And If your gona shave the trim? Let me know!!!!!Roach.

3. VERY cool tale...........patience of a rock!

4. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

awsom great car!

5. Better lock up that side trim in a vault.The Merc guys are looking up your address!!! Kidding.... nice score.

6. JJK

JJK

Yeah I've had some guys around here asking about the trim don't really plan on turning it lose It really makes the car.

7. SimonSez

SimonSez

Cool car !

Betcha get asked why you have Mercury trim on your Buick by some asshat one day :)

8. Jimmy2bottle

Jimmy2bottle

Nice Buick... U Gonna Run The Straight 8?

9. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who ya are. :D

10. jchav62

jchav62

11. we don't do that anymore.....we send in ninjas.

nice buick, what are your plans?

12. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

'53 Buicks are one of my favorite all time designs. You're a lucky guy to have that. The headlights, the front bumper, the side trim - it's all just so.......right.

13. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

It took one post for the trim to be mentioned is that record. dejavu .

14. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

glad your gonna save the old girl I do love those old Buicks!!!

15. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Nice find! The HUNT is the day, You will remember.

I like the Buick's. The 53 is the last of Rounded Hood era, a cool look

16. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Isn't it a great feeling when you finally get the car you've been dying to have for so long, especially if it's the first car you set your sights on.

17. Final straight eight in Special;125hp, all others had 322 inch nail head,Super;164-170 horse, Roadmaster 188. So, it's not a roadmaster, only 3 portholes, Whichever it is, I dig it.

18. patgizz

patgizz
    from cleveland

cool stuff. i know where there is a 53 2 door special waiting for me to talk the owner out of it. straight 8 and all.

19. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

I saw a guy on my classic car do a homemade twin turbo set up on this straight 8 ended up with 400 hp. Pretty cool except the grand national theme he had on the engine. When was turbo introduced to the car world? could it be considered traditional.

20. ...........MMMMMMMMMM Buicks:)

Attached Files:

21. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Bitchin big ass buick!

22. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

23. JJK

JJK

Well I did some research and it turns out to be a 25th anniversery Buick riviera? I really didnt know they used the Riviera name until 63 ( I also have a 65 Rivi) so I think it's kinda neat it did have the straight 8 but was missing when I got the car but the trunk was full of straight 8 stuff that I'll never need so it's getting sold for project money. As far as engine I have an extra 401 nailhead laying around and it's a toss up over that and a 455 from a 71 boattail I really like the nails but a 455 can snap some necks if put together correctly. Paint Im thinking a nice champaign with some subtle white "Tommy the Greek" style stripping no real major mods other then updating the drive line and cleaning up the rust Id like to have it ready by round up but it looks like the Rivi(65) gonna get more attention right now.

24. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I love those Buicks and I know where one is sitting also. Maybe after the A is done. Congradulations.

25. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

cool find. I love my 53'

[​IMG]

26. boozoo

boozoo

I love old Buicks. I'm still p.o'd that I missed my chance at a '56 that was sitting out behind a grain elevator for a decade or so.

Glad you managed to grab that one!

27. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

Your car sure brings back memories; my dad had one, he couldn't afford the Riv it was more expensive then a Cad at the time. I think my dad said he paid $1258.00 brand new, it had the straight 8 and a stick. It had a dark blue roof and lite blue bottom. My job was "Wax on Wax Off" It was the car that I learned how to drive with. It was a bear-cat learning in it. Near our home was a raised Rail road crossing and I'd kill it ever time. Had to shove in the clutch with the brake on and put it in netural, put my left foot on the brake and with my right foot hit the starter, then quickly reverse the proceedure and I'd kill it again. Ended up flooring the sucker and peeling out so it wouldn't kill, needless to say my dad wasn't too hip about it.

28. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Here's my Bro-in-law's X-53 Buick picture taken at the James Dean Memorial in Cholame,Ca., he now drives a '50 Buick Sedanett.

Attached Files:

29. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

If your around Dallas I'd love to stripe it for ya.