Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats your favorite '60 s truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moonglow, Jul 24, 2007.

1. I prefer 67/72 Chev/Gmc trucks. Incredible amount of interchangeability between the years. If you have 67/70 its super easy to upgrade to disk brakes, 71 was first year for disks. Check out www.67-72chevytrucks.com Lots of info over there. Even on earlier models.

2. Moonglow

Moonglow

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! What's not to love.

Very very cool. :cool: :cool: :cool:

3. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

The 60s seemed to be a very cool time for pickup trucks...I love almost all of 'em from that era...Fords, Jeeps, Dodges, Chevys, etc...lotsa style coupled with stark simplicity...everything you need, nothing you don't!

Picking just ONE would be a really tough chore...but in recent years, I've kinda developed a soft spot for the 1961-ish Chevy Apache trucks with that goofy hood! I thought they looked weird as hell the first time I saw one, but they quickly grew on me. I'd dig building one of these as a daily driver/shop truck with a 348 and a three-on-the-tree!!

:) :cool:

Attached Files:

4. RacerRick

RacerRick

I like the 60-66 chevs (especially the early 60's) and the Dodge Town Wagon. I have been jonesing for a 65-66 Town Wagon for years.

5. I loved my 67 Ranchero, and then a 70, both were fun little trucks. Rags

6. Moonglow

Moonglow

Thanks for the lead, but I'm looking for a clean driver. Don't need another project right now. :D

How 'bout posting a picture of yours?

7. Love the 60's GM trucks, not just the looks, but the way they drive! Early 60's had torsion bars in front(1/2 ton) and trailing arms w/coil springs in the rear, smooooooooooth. They definitely need sway bars, though.

Fords always had I-beams, then split them, no improvement imo. Tough as nails though, just drive like shit, the 3/4 tons seem better. Radials certainly help those trucks.

8. teddyp

teddyp

Ford 60-68 Good Work Trucks Chevy 60-68 Good Overall Trucks Had Both But Like The Chevy Best Just My 2 Cents

9. Moonglow

Moonglow

I thought a set of radials (wide whites) would improve the ride of the Ford I-beam set too.

Thanks for the input.:cool:

10. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

My daily driver is a 65 Chevy pickup with a rare factory air option.

11. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

got to be 1962 ford uni.........got one & love to show it but......not very savy with the puter skills as far as the pic upload goes....

Paco

12. DrJ

DrJ

I've got the trucks from different decades I like; a 28 Ford truck, a '40 GMC truck, a '55 Chevy second series truck and a '60 truck.
    The '60 is an El Camino :cool:

13. sojerscraper

sojerscraper

[​IMG]
    just bought this one from slowandlow here on the hamb. its a 60 F250 didnt get it home yet but i cant wait! i went up to his place last week & we both drove it around. really solid truck. so stoked!

i got it to be my daily as i take my chrysler off the road for a while to finally make it nice. the chryslers been my daily for 7 years & its about time i give it some real lovin'.

14. Bluesfella

Bluesfella

I bought a rusty $300 '66 Chevy Pickup a little over a year ago. It had been sitting under a tree in Mississippi for 9 years.

A new battery, a little gas, and it fired right up...been driving it since then.

These are good trucks, you almost can't go wrong buying one. Even though mine is rusty and ugly, I love it.

15. jchav62

jchav62

I gotta vote for 60-66 Chevy's. I love mine!

Attached Files:

• F.JPG
      F.JPG
      File size:
      34 KB
      Views:
  16. brewsir

brewsir

I bought this off of craigs list ...302/5sp volare clip...it needed a couple of minor things fixed,but damn it hauled a ton of scrap to the steel mill like it wasn't even loaded and it starts everytime! I am lowereing at a couple more inches right now...but I scored it for $2500 or so (I always forget what I pay for stuff)
    I also really like the chevy trucks with the small V8 283 or 327...they just run forever and sound great and the 283 version should get good mileage...maybe better than the six even....and parts are cheap.

Attached Files:

17. The 60 - 66 GM pickups are very available and easy to find pieces for. A guy near my house has three of them in his yard. He has a sign on them asking $400 for the trio. None of them run but all look pretty complete minus engine / trannys.

One thing I noticed about these trucks is that teh fram dimensions at the front cross member assemblies are near if not identical to the '73-78 Chevy trucks and both bolt in. This might make for a really easy upgrade to power steering, modern suspension and disc brakes.

I have a '77 Silverado in the back yard and a '63 C/10(?) at the farm and looked briefly at this as a swap. Then the '63 got hit and ended those thoughts. I do plan on scrapping teh Silverado after removing the pieces I want in case anyone is interested in parts. I am in the OKC area.

18. VonXulu

VonXulu
    from Ventura Ca

How much different does a 62 Ford look from the 59/60. If someone has a pic please post. Just curious cuz there is one here for sale locally that can be had pretty cheap, just haven't gone to look at it. But I do live them 59/60 bodystyles. Hmmmm........ hears are turnin'

19. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

What year Dodge was on the old Lassie TV show??

20. fishtank

fishtank

I vote for 65-66 F-100s too.

There's one for sale up the road from me in Perry, GA. It's a driver for sure, the windsheild even says "Cold A.C."". I drive by it everyday going to work. I've never stopped to look at it, but from the road it looks very nice. If you want I will try to go by there tonight.

The guy works at Mike's Golf Carts. The number is 478-987-1292.

Attached Files:

21. belair

belair

Too many Ferds and Chevys. Get a Dodge. They are hell-for-stout, will do it all and you'll be the only one. Unless you're in Ft. Worth.

22. Powerband

Powerband

My fav' is the 60-66 Suburban , specifically the CarryAll. I had a 65 and a 66 and it remains my favorite 60's truck. I did school fleet maintenance in the day and they were simple and solid as a hammer.

Since then i had a newer '71 Sub that was a State Correctional Paddy Wagon with SECURE rear compartment (I put a fuely head 327/4Spd in it), and my current newer yet '81 former Hiway Dept crew carrier Suburban (OEM - 305/4Spd , no headliner/interior panels/trim/diagonal reflective paint on rear.)

Powerband :cool:

23. Moonglow

Moonglow

Very nice indeed. I'll be out in Las Cruces next spring and hope to score a nice clean New Mexico truck during my visit.:D

Thanks for the photo, very cool.:cool: :cool: :cool:

24. VonXulu

VonXulu
    from Ventura Ca

Yeah but damn they're ugly.

25. Heres mine, it's a V8 4x4, but I've had a few 2WD' as well. They are good pickups and parts are CHEAP! plus I think they look good too! Unibodys are really neat, but hard to find at a good price that are not all rusted up (at least around here) They like to rust where the bed floor meets the back of the cab.

Good luck on your search, there are WAY MORE good old trucks out there than cars!

Attached Files:

• 60.jpg
      60.jpg
      File size:
      47 KB
      Views:
  26. skratch

skratch

i drove a slammed 59 ford truck with stock suspension,just Z'ed front and rear.it had a 59 t bird dash and seat.60 olds steering wheel.394 olds /55 hydro..daily driver...

then i chopped it in 5 days.

i miss it...

but,i sure as hell don't need it back..hahaha

27. For the price you cant beat the early to mid 60's Ford trucks. They can look really cool with not much work, here is a couple of example's.

CBB

Attached Files:

28. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

If you want, I can scope them out here in El Paso for ya - it's only 30 miles away.

29. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

I'm a freak for the 60's-71 Dodges myself.I have a 71 short wheelbase sweptside,chopped 3 in with a 8-71 blown 440.I won't post photos of it though,you guys will tear me a new ass because of 33-21.50 M/T's on the ass end.

30. jrod60

jrod60
    from Katy, TX

I'm biased towards a 60 F100 stepside. I drove it for two years before I wussed out and got a fancy-boy late model. Of the Ford variant, I think 57/58 were the better looking. Next time I buy a truck it'll be a 57/8 f100 or a 67-70 Chevy straightside. Not a fan of 60s chevys til they got rid of those cat-eye hoods.

J