Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm going to chopup my 40 coupe, where do I start?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zibo, Jul 25, 2007.

1. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

-ok now that your here...

Two weeks ago we took the 40 and red dot to San jose.
    As you may have heard, the 40 took a shit, and now its at Neals. (thanks!)
    Well on the way down, I lost my camera.
    (After getting to Neals at 2 am, Luke + Holly + Me drove the Red Dot to Ventura...)
    The camera wasn't the issue, it was the memory card in it that bummed me out.
    This is why,
    fortunately Luke had brought his camera too.

[​IMG]
    The Asphalt show was fun, and the Strangers bbq was fun.
    This car was hiding in the overflow lot at the Strangers deal.
    I'd remembered this car from David Perrys HOT ROD book, and an old rodders journal.
    Never saw it in person.
    [​IMG]
    The bodywork, sectioning and chop, were done in the 50's.
    The coupe was never finished.
    [​IMG]
    At first glance you'd expect a Street Rod,
    but their is a quickchange, '39 tranny and built Flathead powering this thing.
    In the RJ it had a Hilborn Flattie, but now its carbureted and sounds shweet.
    The earlier engine went in a slew of LSR cars.
    [​IMG]
    Up front is a dropped axlew/ transverse spring, parallels out back.
    [​IMG]
    The hood looks cool pied like that.
    The metalwork isn't the concourse quality,
    in that it is overlapped, welded, than leaded or bondo'd,
    but it is cool to see how obvious the bodywork was done from the inside.
    All the fenders are welded and outer grille panels. The drip rail is gone too.
    [​IMG]
    After drooling over this thing for 20 minutes,
    the owner and his friend (jerry and paul)
    walked toward us, and Siphorn "SLOPPY" sin knew them from bonneville times.
    It was cool to meet and talk and sit in the car, than pose them for the shots.
    Jerry had just survived Liver Cancer Chemotherapy, and this was rebuilt after the RJ story.
    It was my favorite part of the trip!
    TP
    There was a red-oxide deluxe 40 at the Asphalt.
    had a flathead and was very low, unchopped.
    It would be great to have all 3 for a photoshoot.

THANKS TO LUKE BROWN FOR ALL PHOTOS OTHER THAN THE ONE HES IN

2. rodknocker

rodknocker

With friends who have done it before.And do your research.In fact with all the Cali guys out there, why don't your have a HAMB chop party?

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Hey I donno Found this a few years ago sitting in a muddy backyard

Just couldn't leave without it

Here's some inside photos so you can see how it was done

I think Bob K has some better inside shots of it :)

Attached Files:

4. Chopped and sectioned '40 is cool. The chop and section job work well together.

Don't ever recall seein' a chopped only '40 that looked better than a stocker.

I'd same my time and energy for something that really does need to be chopped, like a '49-'51 Ford 2-door sedan.

5. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I like the stock roof line better. Not sure why but 40's look f'n great stock. The chopped car looks a little cartoonish for my taste. That said Good Luck with whatever you do

6. Look at as many pics of chopped 40's as you can.
    Look at the Westergard(sp) cars.
    Personally, I'd like to see a longer quarter window and roof line, and a little better flow into the rear deck.
    Overall, that is a sweet looking ride.
    And...opinions are like...Insert personal favorite here...everybody has one.
    It's your ride, make it the way you want it.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I agree that your the owner, do what you want. BUT, if you do your homework you won't find many chopped '39-'40's that ACTUALLY look better than a stock roof profile. Most look like someone or something sat on the top and squashd it. That along with the metal working skills to pull it off without ruining the whole car make the decision to chop one a no-brainer IMO. To my eye (and a lot of otheres) the '40 has a perfect profile right from the factory. They do need a altitude adjustment, but that is accomplished with the chassis and wheel/tire combination.
    If your taking a poll put me down for "NO CHOP"

Frank

8. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Why ruin that car??...

Cut a whole in the roof of that other one and it will look like an adult go kart that you see at Goodguys events!..

9. FIRat

FIRat
    from MidWest

First photo of Bluto's is when they fired the 40's design team, the 50's team came in after the war, didn't know what to do; took a 40, cut the top, and the car design from then on never looked the same. The chopped 40 is all a big mistake, IMO. The body does not work. The stock line does.
    If I am wrong, correct me like fab32 which btw, I should have placed the 1+ and just shut my mouth. But a 40 and a 41 going thru my hands at one time, I may/my not have the right to point my opinion and laugh at your chop attempt and keep agreeing with fab32 till I die.
    Something is wrong with that car from the windshield back. I'd copy the front end like right now. But, the cut and the blend lines to throw the fender blend into the body is too heading for 1950.
    It's not a hot rod like the front air vent forward, (at the bottom of the (gag) windshield.
    Then again, the Bluto build (by someone) works. The cut line is lower and squats the body more in line.... kind of. Glad the memory card is lost. Sorry you lost the camera though. Honestly.
    Bottom line... You do not cut (well, you can if you like, it's your car and your body style in your head is the look you chase). Sorry, but looking at a chop 40, you'll make it; but very few have a look you do not need to cover your mouth by either smiling thru it, or holding back the, 'breakfast drive-in' once you walk past that pile!
    I still respect the work applied to the metal work. Any attempt is more than my skills. So I admire the cut cars. But, no offense, I can still have my opinion and it might insult your build. I'm sorry. I cannot hate any 40 if you catch my drift.
    Nothing is holding me back from laughing at the way you hold the sawsall and sort of gag up lunch trying to spew the curses.
    You do not cut a 40 Willys or 40 Ford head liner. 49-50 Mercs sure thing. They look the best at any inch. 1930's chop anything 3 or 5 window is the cat's meow. Cut a 40 Ford and you have cow shit.
    I'll stop insulting a 40 chop, and sort of save it from the torch, but I doubt it.
    It's how I can keep the food down looking and keep insulting the thought = Damn your cutting tip as a RECREATIONAL Drug = JUST SAY NO!!!

10. just section it a bit
    about 5in swipe out the middle :)
    tk

11. 53chevy

53chevy

Wow! I can't believe this. Need some help? I think this a good example of a chopped 40 Ford coupe. Not a fan of sectioning a car, though I think it works better on the verts. Also, I think you're going for a more race inspired chopped coupe, right? let me know, sorry about your troubles at The Asphalt Invite.

Ken

Pic from Rodders Journal.

Attached Files:

12. AllSteel34

AllSteel34

I agree.

[​IMG]

Chris

13. 53chevy

53chevy

Any idea what he used for parallel leafs? I'm leaning in this direction on the 40 merc to assist in lowering the rear. I'm assuming that it's still closed drive shaft.

Ken

14. Muttley

Muttley

I dont really want to bash the guy being that he's probably a cool old dude and a cancer survivor but...............................that is one of the ugliest cars I've seen in a loooooooong time. The green '40 is perfect I wouldnt change a thing except for mabe switch the headlights to '39 Deluxe versions. Thats one reason I'm selling my '39, I'm bored with it, you really cant do anything to it without screwing it up. Ford pretty much hit the nail on the head with those cars.

15. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Hey Ken what RJ issue is that?

TP

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Get your stance set before you make any changes to the body then take a cold hard look at it and make your decision from there.

That big 'ol tank hanging off the front is hidious, along with the painted bumper. Yours can be so much nicer if you listen to these guys experienced advice.

17. DON'T DO IT!!!!! Like posted earlier, cut a car up that needs it...this one does not. 39/40 Fords look killer, Mercs on the other hand...get the sawzall out!

18. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

There are three basic rules concerning major body mods to '40 Ford coupes:

1. Don't do it.
    2. Don't do it.
    3. See rule 1.

Just like several of the posters above, I've seen a bunch of these cars that have been modified, and only a handfull were actually improved by it.

19. brewsir

brewsir

your car , your money and time...I say go for it....maybe not a huge chop,but whatever you want is cool. Anybody can restore a car.....

20. fuk it. lets get those windows the same size! inch and a half! dont people know the more they say dont do it the more hes gunna do it.
    jerry's car is badass because it's not some fakie race car, now its just in retierment!
    -"getting the sawz-alls ready"

21. I have to agree with most- IF YOU ARE NOT EXPERIENCED ON A 40 DO NO CHOP A 40....:cool:
    But...
    If you still wanna do it its your car....I would suggest ending up with a lot better "flow" in the rear of your roof than he did...that was weird looking.
    I also would like to see anyone who removes a ford drip rail ANY Year....prosecuted to the full extent of the law....[:D by the good taste police]...
    YOU NEVER=NEVER change the roof's rear pillar/ angle on a 40 ford.....

However I chop 40s here all the time, but usually recommend a mild cut -such as 2- or 2-1/2" Maximum.
    here are a few shots of one.....sorry none of it in primer....
    ALSO-I cut across the roof where I did because it had a rust hole there!! normally I will cut closer to windshield header.....

Attached Files:

22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

This isn't a ''Bluto build'' I did save it from a mudhole

My car is an old lakes racer not a custom. It's chopped to be the lowest it can without breaking the rules by Sam Barris

The craftsmanship is without equal.

Sorry my photographs are so bad...you would understand

Honest it's not 'sposed to be pretty.

Only fast. :)

23. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

Agreed.

It is kinda like why you almost never see 40/41 Willys chopped. It just ruins the nice original lines of the car.

24. 53chevy

53chevy

Let me check, It's a couple issues back. I do think that the 39/40 Ford coupe can look pretty good as is with a nice stance (Important). But there are chopped coupes that look as a 40's Custom should. Why doesn't anybody say the same for the 39/40 Mercury coupe?

Bluto,

Your coupe reminds of the one that was raced on Salt Flats in the early 50's (It was red w/quick change and I think it wore the No. 50?) Hope yours sees the road soon.

Ken

25. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I like the stock 40,s but that car is just right ! you could use it as a lakester, and would be killer slinking into a drive in anywhere!

26. brewsir

brewsir

because the stock 39 40 merc roofline looks like a baked potato sitting on top of the car....no flow at all!

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

A stock height '40 with the correct stance just can't be beat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Having a 40, I would say I think the car on the right is 100 times cooler than the left. Henry got it right the first time, IMHO.

29. spinner

spinner

Find A Picture Of Doug Rice's 40 Ford X-salt Record Car . I Think It Was The Best Looking Of The 39-40 Chop Ford Of All Time.

30. Denise,
    Whats with the windshield in this car? It looks like a convertable windshield...
    Awesome car!!!!