Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glass body cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruzr, Jul 23, 2007.

1. The Neophyte

The Neophyte
    from AZ

Check out this glass roadster. Stole the picks off craigslist

01020901040401030920070714127de1680dc5f8f00b0096bd.jpg

0102070103030104032007071413ee0342213d982d1e0084bd.jpg

0101040102020104092007071472f648aa539342e833002832.jpg

2. NICE! I had dummy door handles on mine just for the look. Just a thought

3. cruzr

cruzr

4. The Neophyte

The Neophyte
    from AZ

You have a pm

5. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

if done right it can be just as good.

Attached Files:

6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

The increased numbers of glass cars (like 34 coupes) has driven the price of rods down. That is a good thing. Steel-bodied cars will always hold their value. if you really want a 34 coupe, and can find a good glass one at a decent price, go for it.

7. flynstone

flynstone

i always wanted a 34 i now have one and it will be all new,thats rite new is good.....when done i will be driving a brand new car i built every nut and bolt will be done by me,,,,org grill and hood

Attached Files:

8. carsguitars

carsguitars
    from Nebraska

look, I prefer steel, however, I had a beautiful 33 vicky in storage (read out on an old farm in the barn) that my dad left me when he died. Just body and fenders, frame ect. but perfect for a rod. I went back last year to get it and it was gone. If I have to replace, damn right glass. Next question, I want to build a touring car but cannot find a body, any help out there! also looking for a flathead lincoln or out of an old truck, you know the big cubic inch thing.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Steel is real, but 'glass has class! and other phrases guaranteed to start a long meaningless thread. You buy and build what you can afford...unless it is a chunky-not-really-like-an-early-Ford Street Beast!

10. cruzr

cruzr

heres the car i am considering

Attached Files:

11. A Boner

A Boner

Not all stories are good stories. :mad:

12. Dahlhjelm

Dahlhjelm

If you cant find a good steel body to use its allright to buy a glass body since its better having a hotrod then not at all.

For us in Sweden its fairly hard to get a good steel body to use. You've to ship one from the states which gives you around 2000$ more to pay for your body. Else you can buy one that has been cut apart with a sawsall that costs around 5000$-6000$. These bodys are allways missing the trunk lid and the firewall. If your lucky, you'll get the doors too.

2000$ for a brand new glass 31 coupe.

For me, this justifies the buying of a glass body.

But if i were living in the states i wouldnt buy a glass body.

/Eric.

13. beauishere

beauishere

I prefer steel cars. I've owned glass. But it was a Corvette.

The problem I have with fiberglass cars is when they are listed as '32 Ford or a '34 Ford. I think the honor of calling it a Ford should stay with what he built. If it's a replica, don't describe it as nineteen thirty anything. It's a rod that looks like a .......

And I suppose that goes for the new Brookvilles too.

14. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Yea, I hate women who have a reproduction D cup. I'd rather have a real D cup woman then a stuffed A cup woman. If you know what I mean... It's just not honorable :p

15. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

You guys are funny....Look just build it, buy it,glass, steel whatever....as long as its burnin rubber and gettin FAT chicks then your all good in my book!!

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I've had Steel & Glass bodys, Both have their own advantages, I don't mind either, A glass car is certainly harder to build in my opinion.
    Its reasonably easy to put the details back into a glass car to fool most people. I bult this for the wife on a low budget 2 year ago, It was just a jelly mould and not a good one at that but with a bit of work fool's most people.

Steve

[​IMG]

17. 2002p51

2002p51

Something similar happened to us at the Goodguys in Atlanta. This guy walked up and was checking out our car and telling me how much he liked it, etc, etc. He's asking me a lot of questions about how it was built and I can tell he's really digging it. We must've talked for at least five minutes when I mention that we built it from a kit. It was like somebody threw a switch. The color drained out of his face and he turned on his heel and almost ran away! It was pretty funny!

[​IMG]

So. . . .my car has a glass body but the hood and radiator shell are steel, so am I only half cool? Oh but wait a minute, it's all reproduction! Rats!

If it looks like a hot rod, and sounds like a hot rod. . . . .

18. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

You hear guys talking "is it glass or is it real" The comment about the car smelling like a boat, wouldn't like that.

I was looking a a 53 Stude coupe made out of glass, that got my attention.

A guy had a 32 Ford coupe at the 50's. Rusty, faded paint and lettering worn off it. It drew the looks and comments " hey man that guy should do something with that 32" and " I'd kill for that baby, when is he going to finish it?

The coolest thing about the car it was all Glass. I bet the guy who painted it to look like a rusty old bone, was eating it up. Faked them out. I liked it.

19. nexxussian

nexxussian

Cruzr, you are the one that has to pay for it. If you can't afford (or justify) the cost then buy Glass. Many people have said it though, a cheap glass body is false economy. It will take too much work and materials to fix to where it should have been to begin with. I myself someday want an early Willys coupe. I want it to look like a resto, you know, some "grampa cruiser" but I want it to have lots of power and handle like a slot car (so, I'm into sleepers). But would I be able to afford a steel original car? Not likely in the foreseeable future.

Is that car you showed complete, or is it the factory demo for a given brand? If you want an estimate of value there should be appraisers that can tell you. Or maybe Grundy or one of the other insurance houses has some rule of thumb for that.

20. Funny how the guy that bashes glass cars is really into 60's cars,,,yeah,,,there still is an overabundance of these out there,,,

Everbody has an opinion,,,even me!

I like 32 Fords,,,,I have 3,,,,,a STEEL 4 door sedan driver,,,I'm building a STEEL 32 pickup and I also have a GLASS 32 hi-boy roadster,,,,an drive it as much or more than the sedan.

If I had the extra coin it took to build a STEEL roadster at this stage of my life I really don't think I would.

I have noticed in my travels that most negitive comments about GLASS cars usually come from people that are not really into the early cars or pulls up in a worn out smoking POS while you are pumping gas and ask,,," Is it GLASS or STEEL?"

Deuce Roadster Has always been a class act and owns 2 great examples of Henrys finest 32's ,,,both STEEL and he wouldn't have it any other way,,,I respect him for his convictions,,,,

Would I prefer a STEEL roadster,,,sure,,,but it ain't likely to happen,,,I'm just happy somebody made that first GLASS body where people like me could enjoy having a FAKE car that looks and feels like a 32 roadster,,,,,:D HRP

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

My second car was glass... I could not afford a steel one.....in 1992.
    I was shopping around for a 34 5 or 3 winda.... found a steel one that had been rolled....passenger side crushed.It was for sale for 7500 bucks with no floors.... would have taken another 7-10 k to get the body right.
    I bought a glass body for 3500 bucks.
    That was a good car.
    I miss it.

Cruzr....that 34 your looking at is sweet.You CANNOT build a car like that for that price.
    If you dig it.... thats all that matters.
    My 34 was last seen in Ohio.....

[​IMG]

22. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Im building my 4th glass car. I sold the last one in may for 42.5k Made money. I dont have a problem at all with glass or steel im just not gonna pay 20 to 25 k for a steel coupe body. I know what it takes to build a nice quality car and im in for a little over 20k in parts on my new roadster project already. Glass or steel done right they are both worth a lot of cash.
    Dave

23. KATFISH

KATFISH

I'm thinking this would look cool with a glass sprint car tail section on it

24. Jimv

Jimv

good point!!
    JimV

25. 55 desoto

55 desoto

<TABLE class=tborder id=post2113652 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_2113652 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #999999 1px solid">[​IMG]
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #999999 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #999999 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #999999 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #999999 1px solid" width=150><HR style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(hamb/misc/dl.gif); BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; HEIGHT: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none">any other pics of this car? </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

26. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I like the way steel feels when you close the doors.
    Glass isn't for me, but bashing your fine glass ride isn't for me either.
    You asked, I told you.... I don't want glass.
    You build your glass ride with blood, sweat tears and money and you've earned the same respect as the guy who did it with a steel car, in my book.
    Time spent bashing is time spent not wrenching.............

27. Jimv

Jimv

remember the post on here about"would you stop to help a rodder with a glass bodied car if they where stuck!!lol
    Now thats a lame fuckin post!!This one is legit.But i think its like the old "what came first, chicken or the egg " arguement!lol
    Best thing said was "drive it, thats all!!"
    JimV

28. cruzr

cruzr

appreciate ALL the input , both pro and con..........even though i have been Hot Rodding all my life ya never know it all. Ive learned a little more from this thread...........thanks to all that posted

29. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Wasnt your old t bucket that you had Glass???

30. cruzr

cruzr

the one Burny has is glass, the one i have now is steel