Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coolest SOUNDING Engines???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jkustom, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

my favorites are the 348 and 409 chevy, flat head ford and the big chrysler wedge engines. open headers!

2. keith089

keith089

A small block shoved in to an Avanti. My dad had one when I was a kid. Loud ad fast

3. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug, whats the story on the new avatar? I like it-looks like round the clock stuff-Jim

4. hemi

hemi

A high compression flat-four with a lumpy cam and big-collector stinger..... yes, I mean a built VW engine.

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Built Banshees through a set of T-5's......@ 9000rpm..........

6. gregga

gregga

Heard a dealer promo record in the '60's of ZAD taking you, the listener, on a ride around the track in one of the first injected Corvettes. It had a rock crusher behind it. It was a symphony of engineering sound.

7. hemi

hemi

On a side note, way back when I worked for Panoz and we held the Petite LeMans at Road Atlanta the high-pitched, buzzy 12-cylinders would go by, the Vector, Ferraris, and Porsches, and then the Roush-blocked Panoz GTR-1 cars would go by at full throttle and if that V8 didn't sound like mortal hell, nothing ever will. In a sea of screaming that thing sounded flat evil.

[​IMG]

8. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I know exactly what you mean. I raced a limited cube volkswagon engine against fully built 1200cc motorcycle engined mini-sprints. 13k rpm bike motors and a 7500 rpm vw flat four. it always sounded like I had 23 bees chasing me down. not that they caught me that often..... I'm not a big fan of bees ya see :D

9. 327 with a Quadrajet opening up! I'm sure I'll get flack for that, but you know it's true.

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Ahh, yes. Vanilla Ice brings me back to 6th grade.

I realize the 5.0 liters aren't HAMB material, but they do have a distinct, cool sound... especially built ones.

I haven't been fortunate enough (yet) to be exposed to some of the exotic engines that have been posted so far. The closest I've been is a few NHRA meets with the Top Fuelers - those things are just UNREAL!!

Malcolm

11. Fordman75

Fordman75

Ford 429/460 big block

Ford FE's

Boss 429

Cammer

High revving solid lifter 289

A strong Y-block has a sweet sound too.

12. 4-pot

4-pot

Full house Ford flathead. The best sounding stocker has to be the Duesenberg. Max wedge Mopars sound great, hell there are hundreds I could go on all night. It's all a matter of opinion.

13. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..Henrys V8 Flathead..nothing better..with smittys..
    Duane.

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The BRM 16 may be the best-sounding engine of all time. Story goes that it developed its maximum hp (600+ from 1500cc) with very short stub pipes at 12,000+ rpm (this is early '50s, too). Problem was that with this exhaust system, the harmonics were so horrendous that the driver would do a lap, and then come into the pits and barf his guts out. They had to put a less efficient exhaust system on it so the driver could live in the car.

15. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

For me it's an alcohol Hilborn injected, 15:1 360 inch or 410 inch sprint car engine. Throttle response like you wouldn't belive and sound awesome running wide open lap after lap. Also the Corvette C5R running past the camera's wide open at Lemans...

16. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Anything that can turn a lot of rpms, but I really dig drag engines with a lot of compression and runnin alcohol.

17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Three nominations from '60s road racing.

1. Ford GT's used 289 SBF's with a basket-of-snakes exhaust system on top of the transaxle. Soon after that, many Can-Am cars also used mid-engine V8s with the same kind of tuned exhaust and megaphones. Whoopee galore!

2. 3-liter Ferrari V12s. I had the good fortune to watch Sebring in 1964 when two Ferraris, a 250TR and a GTO, went down the pit straight about a car length apart. 24 cylinders sounded like a brass choir!

3. The pace lap of NASCAR's first stock car road race at Riverside '63. The whole field went by in a tight pack, just rumbling along at medium revs, and it literally shook the ground we stood on.

One more that I've never heard in real life, but I sure love its recorded sound, is the Falconer V12 based on SBC geometry. Unfortunately this board won't let me upload a .wav file.

Oh, yeah -- best sounding motor I've ever owned was a sensational-sounding flathead about 40 years ago, but that's another longish story.

18. caddylakman

caddylakman
    from USA

uhm... gotta be the top fueler, in hot for teacher !!!

19. OK, O/T and you've probably seen it but this is one of the cooler transmissions I've heard...turn your volume DOWN!

20. McGrath

McGrath

A built SBC screaming through open 180 degree headers on a pulling truck makes a pretty unforgettable sound....

21. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

ARIEL SQUARE FOUR

Max wedge Mopar

Flathead H-D

Hopped up Flathead ford V-8

Mopar flathead six

22. Leeroy

Leeroy
    from Boerne, TX

The Jesel Valvetrain Dodge Truck has one of the most wicked sounding normally aspirated small block Mopar engines I have ever heard. It makes most race cars sound tame. I wish I had a recording of it.

Attached Files:

23. 41woodie

41woodie

There are several great contenders, a basically stock 327 with three on the tree whining through the gears, a SBC with solid cam and Rochester FI particularly when you shut it down, Corky Cokers blown flathead Great Race Deuce, Hillborn injected A/Altered SBC powered belonging to Charlie Smith and called "Plain Vanilla" back in the 60's, any radial aircraft engine. Even the flat 16 cylinder Honda GP car that I heard hit 25K while living in Japan. BUT, I have to agree with jimdillon and fur biscuit, a Novi powered roadster at Indy is the sweetest music.

24. Leeroy

Leeroy
    from Boerne, TX

Ok.... I have to redeem myself for the post about the late model Jesel Dodge.

D.W.'s blown Chevy is bad ass!

25. Leeroy

Leeroy
    from Boerne, TX

Damn it... picture was supposed to be there to- again this thing sounds wicked.

Attached Files:

26. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

My favorite sound lately is my 250 6 with headers, straight 2" and cherrybombs. To be specific its when I take it from 1500-4000 RPM in second gear and then let off the gas............ in a small tunnel by my house. Always puts a smile on my face.

27. I'll second Fordman75's respect for the 271 horse 289, a buddy had one stuffed in a '60 Falcon with the rear fenders cut out to make room for tire on that 3.89 geared 9", awesome fun to party in back in the summer of love!

28. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

I agree. With the right stuff they sound amazing.

29. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Inline Alky Jimmy.

30. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

Peripheral Ported 20B!