Register now to get rid of these ads!

Insulation??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stude-sled, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

I am almost ready to insulate the cab on my Stude pickup project, What is the best? Dynamat, Lizard skin, low-e, etc. Please help.

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I used some tar-backed foil I found at home depot - I think it's for roofing. Put it all over the floor & sides & inside the doors & trunk lid on my '40. I then put regular carpet jute mat under the carpet & put some jute-type stuff on the roof. All in all, it made a huge difference in sound - hard to tell on the temp as I don't have heat or AC and never really drove it prior to putting it all in...

3. JAWS

JAWS

Yep that's the stuff. About 15 buck a roll. Called flashing something or other. It's over in the lumber area, by the roofing stuff. Looks the same as dynamat.

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Check us out. Link below.

5. lowriding 'lane

lowriding 'lane

i used lowbucrod's stuff, worked great in my 42 chevy i couldn't believe the difference it made

6. 31aBoy

31aBoy

7. Being in the building trades, I did some research on reflective barriers, the (most commonly) tin foil layer you'll see on many of these products. What I found out is that there must be at least 1" of air space next to one side of the foil to do any good, this is a radiant barrier(stops 97% of radiant heat), a factory application example is; my Vette came with an aluminum shield suspended below the floor above the exhaust, you'll see the same thing above cats. Exhaust heat is extreme, but the same benefits are there when used to block heat from the road and drivetrain.