Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's Wrong With This Pic.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low springs, Jan 7, 2007.

1. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

2. That set-up is almost like what I just took off my son's shoebox. The only difference was that the welds were good. The three-link that was on my son's car was so strong that the frame broke. In a previous post,I talked about how I put the leafs back on,and took the bars off. That notch looks terrible. I'm surprised that the frame didn't collapse. As for Dante. He was at Goozgaz's BBQ yesterday. Last time I talked to him,he said he was having trouble getting back on the HAMB. He's been on the Roughrodders site(I think that's what it's called).

3. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

those are some fucked up welds.sorry to see that type of work being done at some shops.lucky no one was hurt

4. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

As for Dante. He was at Goozgaz's BBQ yesterday. Last time I talked to him,he said he was having trouble getting back on the HAMB. He's been on the Roughrodders site(I think that's what it's called).[/quote]

Thats No Excuse for not returning Phone calls from John or calling him Direct ........

John still lives in the same place & has the same phone number.

As you can see by FINNNS49 posts, He signed on the HAMB this morning and has 1 post .....

The HAMB is not the place to conduct his bis thru, John only came here as a last resort since the guy will not return calls or show up to fix the job he took on.

5. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Thats the hard part of bidding a $4000+parts job
    for $1000inparts+parts.
    Especially if you already have a decent paying job, and this is a sidejob.

I am in Dante's position in some work,
    because I have two high dollar guys that keep feeding me money.
    I am a whore and will work for the biggest money while its being thrown around.
    (It is not often that someone can afford to pay me to finish a car(s))

The cheap/poor guys keep gettin pushed back.
    Unfortunately I can foresee the cheap/poor guys running out of money,
    so working 3 days than having the project sit for 4 months waiting for money. (already experienced this).

Its just hard to afford to be able to work for a deal.

Although I don't know Dante or John, we have close mutual friends on both
    sides.
    Hopefully you guys can work it out.

TP aka perichbrothers aka zibo

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Was the shop licensed? A lot of people don't know that complaints can cause a shop's license to be pulled. Also, there are civil recourses for shoddy workmanship. He should contact the bureau of automotive repairs and possibly the CHP. That type of work may be in violation of the Federal Code of Standards.

7. elwood blues

elwood blues

WOW!! I feel alot better about my frame!! that shit is crazy.. my shit is 1/8 to 1/4'' plate were i did my mods and the welds are as thick as i could get them.. I dont understand how the guy that did this could take payment for this or feel ok about his work. If i did this it would keep me up at night!!

8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, that´s some scary shit--glad nobody was hurt!

9. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Looks like the lack of PENETRATION & a good solid bead laid in on the rest of work, would of helped.

Death waiting to happen! Panhard Bar

A bad Panhard bar can make this look like nothing! I had one brake in North Dakota on I-94 towing a Buick at 70 with ease, I stopped for gas & food. Coming down the ramp on to the interstate it started acting up. It broke at 10 mph, it's like a ride you want to forget. The car almost flipped. The coils were unstable.

This was on a Sunday, I found a plant that was working. The metal shop guy cut me a piece of re-rod to slide into the bar, I used everything to bind it together, It worked & the come a long to pull it tight. Make sure every point near & around that bar is strong, as well as the bar being solid. I check all my panhard bars after that happened to me.

10. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

This is why I hate people and trust no one any more. I hope you get your car fixed right. I saw that car in a mag before and its a great looking ride that needs to be back in its owners hands. Thats all I have to say.

11. I agree DeSoto. He should stand up to his obligations. I was just stating what he had said to me a couple months ago. John needs his car fixed.

12. Ebert

Ebert

Fright PIG!!!!!

13. Very scary stuff. Really, I can't believe it when I see stuff like that. Now for a question. What is everyone's oppinion on how it should be fixed? I think personally I would back half the car with some new frame tubing, either a parralel (I know that's spelled wrong) or a triangulated 4 link, and a proper notch. I just hate seeing people get screwed like that.

14. poorboy

poorboy

what would cause they 1/4 panels to buck? the crappy weld job or the lack of support in the notch area? or both? i'm amazed at the "welding" on the suspension! i'm glad I let my pops, a 35 year-experience welder, weld my frame when we notched it!

15. Good God Man! glad no one was hurt! I'de be pissed! I've seen the Ray Charles comments....I think Stevie Wonder did this one. I'de cut out the bad stuff and hit the guy in the head with it! It's sad that (we) try to trust people,and get this. Good Luck!

16. frankenford

frankenford

those pictures will haunt my dreams. That why I try to do as much as I can on my car, so I dont have to worry about something like that. scary!

17. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

that's scary man, we had a situation like that at the shop one time a guy tried to his own suspension work on a '38 chevy super deluxe, and tacked in the bag mounts and didn't finish welding them, some how they lasted almost 2 weeks and then the rear passengers side bag mounts busted off when he hit a pot hole, it trashed the whole rear end, ripped up one of the fenders, screwed the frame up a bit and smashed the exhaust.. fortunatley he was o.k. and we got a really good job that month.

18. Boynamedsue

Boynamedsue

i think i saw about 92 things wrong with that

19. Kent

Kent
    from KCMO

Wow Finnnns, I think you need to put this post back to the top. Maybe add some pictures of the unfinished work. People are reading the "What's wrong with this Pic." and not seeing all of What's Wrong

might keep an open mind could be health issues or something.........why low springs hasn't contacted you

20. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

21. Von Franco

Von Franco

De Soto you took the words right outa my mout.John is a friend of mine and a stand up guy he has helped me and others out many times.To see this happen to him again pisses me off.And I hope this gets solved soon because
    I don`t like to see any of my friends get screwed...................................

22. E-6

E-6
    from L.A

DeSoto & Von Franco nailed it. I don't bother with drama but this needs to be addressed.
    John is one of the nicest guys you could ever want in your corner. He would come and save you if you were stranded in the middle of the night on the side of the road. If you've been to Paso, you've seen John or at least his truck. I'm lucky John calls me a friend.
    The Lincoln has been touched by some real legends out there. Dick Dean & Bill Hines both worked on this car.
    This doesn't just bother me it down right pisses me off. Time to fix this.
    This is his truck pre flat black paint job. And he uses it as a truck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. 57PONCHO

57PONCHO

Maybe this guy came over to weld it!

Attached Files:

24. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

That's not even remotely funny given this situation.

25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Who is the Butcher Bergendorff?

26. The build itself is as much about a lack of understanding physics and geometry as it is about bad welding. I'm not talking advanced stuff here, high school geometry and an understanding of triangulation would have gone a long way on this.
    Since I'm working on a 50 Pontiac, I look at all the 50 Chevy stuff too. A few weeks back there was an excellent post of a "non-traditional" chassis for a fleetline - super work and good design for a slammed look. As for the price for that kind of work, it usually ends up cheaper if it doesn't have to be redone again and again. Hope John gets it fixed and gets back on the road.

27. RacerRick

RacerRick

I had to cut and shorten the frame under the fleetline. It was ground clean inside and out, V-notched for penetration, welded (with a MIG - a good one), fish plated on the inside of the rail with 1/8" plate, and then boxed with 0.100" for a foot on either side of the weld.

I was worried about my frame holding together in a under 3000lb, V6 powered car. I wouldn't even have considered that remotely safe!

I think the only way to fix that is to cut it out and start over with a lot of 3/16" plate and a complete redesign.

28. j-dogg

j-dogg

TTT for John

29. Strodder

Strodder

Your right. We need to get these UN-PROFESSIONAL out of the business. At my shop in Simi Valley,Ca, I fixed a lot of butchered jobs. It keep me very busy. People do side jobs in there garage, and think they are experienced enough to open a shop. They also beat everybody's price for air bagging and custom suspension. They would want me to match the price. I would tell them go ahead and have them do it cheaper, but when they screw it up, you can bring it to me to fix. And they did.

30. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

One thing this thread did, with over 10,000 viewing it. Know what your buying. Look at it if you can. I bought one kind of like this. A 49 Buick fastback, a project. The car looked OK in the photos, the sub-frame & the Camero disc rearend, Oh what a mess. I would of felt safer with Super glue! I sold it, as a parts car. That help my sanity, this car wasn't finished like Yours.

You can't always assume the work is done right. I did my buddy has a fab shop, I just thought others did his quality of work. Wrong! That's my horror story, I only had a $1000 in it.