Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this piece too new?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TaB, Aug 11, 2006.

1. TaB

TaB
    from Florida

I have been looking for an old piece of iron and finally found something in my price range that isn't far from driving. I was told it was early 60's and was hoping it was early enough to be something that would fit here at the HAMB. I'm no expert but from looking at pics on the net it looks like a 63 or 64 coupe deville. So my 2 questions are can anyone tell me what year exactly and is it something welcome here or not. Thanks much.
    --Russ

Attached Files:

2. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

I'd say you'd be alright. ;) :D

3. Look on the title? Ask the seller?

I'm not a caddy expert but it has fins still so its not to new early '60s.

4. leadsled01

leadsled01

I think there is a 1964 cut-off for thr HAMB. Or at least there used to be.

5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yup - 64 cut -off.
    Cob
    Forum Moderator

6. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

I remember that in one of my first posts on here, as a joke, I posted a bunch of pictures of those '1985 Caprices with 40" rims' cars, and I never heard the end of it. I was getting heat from everyone who saw my post, even though it was just a joke. :p

So I'd stick to that 64' cut-off if I were you, or something very bad might happen. (Nothing to worry about, though, since your Caddy is 64' or older.) :D

7. TaB

TaB
    from Florida

It's a couple thousand miles away and my Dad is dealing with the owner. I am taking a trip there next week and will find out the particulars and most likely purchase the car but until then I thought perhaps I would find someone here that knew alot about cadillacs. From my searches on the "years allowed" subject I saw pre-64 or 65 mentioned alot. In my eyes it's worth getting even if it wasn't welcome here but I was hoping it was. I've been lurking for almost a year just drooling over all the great cars, seeing cars progress and the good times people share on here and hoping I find something to play with and share myself.

8. I think its a -64, the -63 doesnt have the painted bar in the grille!

9. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

Yeah. Well yours is a 63' or 64', so there is nothing to worry about. :)

10. TaB

TaB
    from Florida

Thanks for confirming Cob. Much appreciated.

11. Gigantor

Gigantor

I'd say it depends on what you intend to do with it ... 64 is mighty close to the fabled cut-off - but with some serious mods it would probably be welcomed back into the fold with blessings.

12. 8769

from kennesaw

Decide if you like the car because If you don't like the car it really doesn't matter what everyone else thinks.

As much information as I have gained from this message board, I have never and will never let the cut off year for cars affect my decision to buy a car. There are people on this board that will help you regardless of the year make or model.

now since you asked I love caddys. Have a 66 sedan deville with a 429 special. It's a more door and not my idea of a hot rod but it was good cheap transportation when i couldn't afford anything else, and i have held onto it hoping that one day I'll win big in Vegas and be able to fix up every old car i've ever owned.

Troy

13. TaB

TaB
    from Florida

Thanks for that. I just took a look at the two years from pics online and notice that as well. Also looked at the 65 and the headlights are 2 on top of each other on each side instead of side-by-side, so looks like i'm golden :) Somethin ta post about later on when I fix it up.

14. colorado51

colorado51

Cool car! :cool:

Who cares if it fits in with the HAMB or not, if YOU like it, build it! That is all that matters.:rolleyes:

BTW, it looks like a 64 Coupe.

15. Your welcome! They are really good looking cars when done right, and i think the -64 has the newer version of the 429, i dont know witch is better but the newer is probobly easier to get parts for if needed!

16. TaB

TaB
    from Florida

I think it's a great car. I'll like it even more after I spend some time with dear ol Dad working on it (he's 70 now). After that I prolly won't ever want to sell it just for sentimental reasons. I can't say I'm a huge cadillac fan but I do like the look of the car. I'm not concerned with what the board or anyone thinks, more concerned with respecting the board in posting or not posting this particular car because of the year. Someone posted something which now makes me wonder but I think I understood correctly ...64 is the cut off, meaning if this car is a 64 then I can post about it here. Anyway, thatnks everyone for the input and info.

17. tjm73

tjm73

I'd be leary of rust and rot on the bottom of that car. It's up to it's wheels in the dirt. So depending on how long it's been sitting there, it may have a terminal case of car cancer.

However, what you can see in the pictures doesn't look like it's rotten. Needs paint, but doesn't look rotted out. Cool body style BTW.

18. TaB

TaB
    from Florida

I don't know what your idea of done right is but i'm open to suggestions. I was thinking if I don't repaint it all black then I was thinking a baby blue metallic, pearl white top possible w/ a little flake, and not shown in my photochop... long, pearl white scallops on the sides, hood and trunk, and of course white walls. I prolly shouldn't be day-dreaming like this. I need to get tha thing bought and in the garage first :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

19. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I have a 65 fairlane and there have been several threads on that model. While 64 may be the "official " cut off I don't think anybody won't give you advice. They have to me. Hamb is great

20. TaB

TaB
    from Florida

Thanks for the advise. That's one of the first things I asked, Rust...where and how much. He said there was one bad spot on the right rear around the taillight and tire area. He couldn't get under the car to check it out but he said an old woman owned it and she used it at a funeral home. I imagine it was used for the funeral parade deal and then put away but that's wishing. And if I remember correctly it has been 3 years since it was parked. I am looking forward to getting it on a lift to see the underside. Here's the only part he said looked bad..

Attached Files:

21. Mojo

Mojo

Most definately a 64, a personal favorite. Paint looks like clearcoat peeling off, which means it's probably fairly new, which means it's probably not some rustly old yard art.

22. TaB

TaB
    from Florida

Almost a year later..... I drove it off the trailer and I have the title! :D 1964 Coupe with a little over 65000 original miles. Fuel lines are rotted and will be replaced along with a new battery and 4 tires. It had a bit more rust than I would have liked- a few holes behind almost every wheel, the frame under the trunk is a bit rusty and may need new metal welded in later, some on the panels that cover the rear wheels, bumpers have rust too but not much rust along the rockers or top surfaces or along any of the drip rails. All the chrome looks good except the on the bumpers. I will see the whole underside when I put it on the lift and drop the gas tank to replace the lines. The pass window just quit workin which is why I put plastic over it in the pic. Power at the switch is good so I'll be checking the motor as soon as I get that damn clip off the back of the handle for the vent window, arg. I was in the car with it off and key out the other night and noticed a light on in the gauges. I forget the words over the light but it was electrical. I have been told it's poss the generator, tri-diode, or external voltage regulator if this year uses one, all of which I will try to figure out. Other than this it runs great and supposedly has new tranny. I gotta say I love the sound of the engine when idling and I'm in the car. You get that ringing in your ears. What a sound. So with alot of patience, an almost drivable car for $1500, I'll take it!

Attached Files:

23. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

i dont think your car is off if the gen light is on. on those old caddys the key will come out in any position. your going to have a dead battery if you dont allready.

you better keep that plate on the front haha!

24. mackster

mackster

What a sound. So with alot of patience, an almost drivable car for $1500, I'll take it![/quote]

Sweet deal! I like it, put some sprinkles on that bad boy and don't suede it!:eek: no, that's what I would do, but it's yours do whatcha like.:D

25. VonCi$co

VonCi$co

Dude your car is fucking sweet!!! I love caddies all years, makes and models. I own two caddies right now, a 1961 fleetwood and a 1983 sedan deville. The 61 is going to be a 60s custom and my 83 is lowerd on 20 inch wire wheels. I love having defferent era cars with different styilings. The next car im lloking for is a 74 eldorado conv.

26. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Rub it out & wax it once before you cover it up with anything. See if anybody will loan you some Sabre wheels - you might like them. Better cut some coils & get some duals on there. Diode in the alternator is first guess on the dash light. That's going to be a NICE Cad ...

27. Wesley

Wesley

pm CooperClassics. Brian is pretty knows his stuff on the early sixties caddys.

28. TaB

TaB
    from Florida

I'm gonna check that out. Thanks for pointing out the simple solution first. Battery isn't the right size anyway but thanks :) And the plate has gotta goooo.

29. TaB

TaB
    from Florida

Sweet deal! I like it, put some sprinkles on that bad boy and don't suede it!:eek: no, that's what I would do, but it's yours do whatcha like.:D[/quote]

You sayin metalflake and no flat paint? I own a paint shop so once I get rid of the rust I can do anything with it. After seeing it in person I am thinking of staying with the all black... I think the body says enough for the car and I don't need to complicate it with colors and designs. I am thinking of flaking out the roof but only if I get whitewalls to go with it if that makes sense.

30. TaB

TaB
    from Florida

I spent most of this week building an engine with my Dad and indeed the battery was dead when I returned early this morning. I tried to take the key out in diff positions and you are right, it comes out. I bought the correct battery for the car and installed it. The GEN light was barely on in the left detent. In second detent (going from left to right) the GEN light went out and no lights were on in the dash warning panel. The next detent juices everything up and the GEN and OIL lights come on real bright (normal I imagine). The next detent engages starter. I am thinking the 2nd detent is the OFF position. So would you know what the very left detent is for? Or anyone viewing this know?
    After removing the pass side door panel to check out the window motor and right after installing the new battery the window started working perfect. WooHoo! Maybe it had something to do with the battery? Does that make sense? A couple other things I need to figure out...I was told that there would be 2 lines to the tank and that they would be different sizes but when I looked they seem the same. The lines are rigged a little right now so I may just not be seeing the other line. (the fuel tank is a gallon jug by the battery with 2 lines running to it..see pic). I also found a couple wires loose in the kick panel while I was removing the door panel, one black cut wire and one red wire with plug attached. (pic of that too). I may need to take this stuff to the 63-64 msn group but I thought I'd give it a go here first.
    Thanks again guys for the input. Much appreciated.

Attached Files: