Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 with SINGLE straight pipe exhaust-how does it sound?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tstclr, Jul 19, 2007.

1. tstclr

tstclr

It will be a while before I have the $$ to install a split manifold on my 54 Chevy. There is a glass pack on the single exhaust and it really just sounds like a stocker. I was wondering what these cars sound like with a straight pipe on single exhaust. Does it sound like shit? I'd like to have an idea before I cut this one off.
    Thanks
    Todd

2. Crankhole

Crankhole

I had a straight pipe on my straight 6 and it sounded like a loud ass lawnmover. Annoying as all hell. I put a Smithy's on it to tone it down. It was on a 144 Ford though. That probably wasn't much help.

3. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

I ran single on my 194 with a little 10" glass pack for all of last Summer. It sounded better than it did with the big ole muffler it had. It at least had a bit of noise to it. Nothing like the dual 2" with Cherrybombs I did on the 250 though.

If you want it to make noise do a single small glass pack or it will sound like a mower or an outboard boat motor.

4. forty3

forty3

it sounds fucking awesome.

its what i have...

5. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

a John Deere tractor.

but nothing runs like a deer

6. millerkustoms

millerkustoms

I ran an open exhaust on my truck when I bought it. It was a 1 3/4" pipe and it ran the full length of the car. I thought it sounded nice, it was pretty quit most of the time. It only got really loud when I downshifted at higher rpm's.

7. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

Use 1 3/4 exh pipe w/no muffler...
    It'll sound raspy and annoying as heck, if that's what your looking for.
    Used it on my 55 Ply Savoy w/the flathead 6

8. I had straight pipes on a 216 and it was rather tractor like in tone. A big old muffler from NAPA made it sound like a tractor with a big old muffler on it.

9. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I"m also looking for a better sound from my 235, as I have spilt exhaust (one going into the muffler, 2 comming out) and it sounds like... nothing.

can hardly hear it idle

10. Von Franco

Von Franco

it`s goes voooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

11. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

It sounds like two bee's in a jar, . . . fucking :eek:

Have you considered splitting the existing manafold?

Craig :cool:

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

That's not split exhaust, that's J.C. Whitney duals. If you do nothing else to your 235, please....split the exhaust the right way.

13. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

sorry, just typed withought thinking. thats the way the car came to me. I'm going to invest in headers when I get the cash.

how difficult/time consuming is installing butterfly cuttoffs in your exhaust?

14. tstclr

tstclr

Ya, I thought about splitting my manifold. I did a search on here for a tech thread on this but came up with nothing. Anyone?
    Todd

15. patgizz

patgizz
    from cleveland

i ran my 235 with a single exhaust, 14" long cherrybomb turned backwards so the baffles didnt do much. i loved the sound.

16. black51chevy

black51chevy
    from Everett

I ran my a 216 from about a week straight piped. I hated it!! It sounded like a old work truck.

17. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

if you do it right (meaning split the manifold),,,it'll sound great with straight pipes....

18. gearjam1

gearjam1

-Heh...wayback-I ran a John Deere muffler on my H*nda wagon. $12.00 from Rural King...man, was I poor(er) then... :p

19. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I ran an open header and then a straight pipe on my 223, it sounded like an old propeller plane both times, it got annoying so i scrapped the truck and bought a double outlet header for it, and some offy goodies, now i'm just waiting for a good project to drop it in. If you want ideas for an exhuast on it try egge speedshop, i think they have some bad ass chevy shit. But i'd try like some of the guys said a straight pipe with like 12 inch or bigger glass pack, they're annoying as hell with out 'em. good luck.

20. fef100

fef100

Take a deep breath, stick your tongue part way out, wrap your lips around your tongue & blow. That's what it will sound like, but a bit louder.
    Ha ha ha.

21. Mine sounds like a 730 Case tractor. Mind you, the muffler is off a Case 730 tractor:)

22. tstclr

tstclr

Well, I removed the old muffler (it LOOKED like a glasspack but I don't know WTF it was- you couldn't see through it and it weighed a ton!) and swapped in a Cherry Bomb glass pack. It sounds cool enough to get me by for now. With the weight savings and flow thru design, I had to have picked up at least 1 horse :D !

Todd

23. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

While we are on the subject of 235 exhaust notes...Why does the 216/235 sound SO good with a split manifold? NOT saying it in a "prove it to me tone", I am saying it in a FUCK I love that sound tone, but what makes it sound SO good. I personally like a split exhaust with straight pipes myself, NO mufflers...Ken