Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Modified T" Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JCook5003, Jul 12, 2007.

1. JCook5003

JCook5003

Hey Guys after some research into traditional T's I decided I really want to build a "modified T" with a 23 Bucket with a hood and grill but no fenders.....and I am looking to gather some information before I start my build.....first let me start off by showing you what I have.

I have this T Bucket body from Total Performance

[​IMG]

Now let me show you what I hope to accomplish with it, these cars are definatley in the general direction I want to go......

The Wedge Roadster by Dan Webb even if it's built from a 32 body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or some of these more traditional offerings from right here on the HAMB

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192159&highlight=modified+build

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194314&highlight=modified+t+bucket

Also others can be seen in the Missing Whippets article on page 10 of the 36th edition of the Rodders Journal. Now that we know which direction I want to go I have some questions.

I would like to source most of the parts I cant make online, so can you guys point me in a good direction for the kind of parts I am going to need?

Also Anyone got a link to a build similar to this?

Again more questions, what kind of frame will I need to build?

Also will a 350 fit inside a T hood or will I have to go with an inline? Or do you guys have some recomendations?

Again Thanks for your help guys as this is my first build and I am still learning about "traditional rods" over the trailer queens I see in other magazines.

Thanks guys
    Josh

2. That's Ashley's car, she's on the HAMB.

3. What's her screen name?

4. Jimv

Jimv

heres a few pics of one at the rumblers show in Ct a few weeks ago.
    The reason the center door T is in there is because he runs a full hood on it !! its a stock T with a SBF in it.But when the hoods on there is literally no room in there, i don't know how he did it!!
    I was looking at my T bucket & it seeems that the engine is wider then the cowl, but hard to tell.
    could run just a hood with no side panels.
    JimV

Attached Files:

5. JCook5003

JCook5003

Yeah perhaps I should look at running an inline motor then seems like it would help the fit out some, I definatley want to run a full hood and side panels also....thanks for the help so far keep it coming.

6. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Check out getting a donor engine from a Thunderbird Turbocoupe. The info is listed below.

From the website,

7. JCook5003

JCook5003

I actually know where there is a Thunderbird TC that would make a sweet powerplant in such a lightweight vehicle........

Any other info someone wants to share?

8. tjm73

tjm73

If you want an indestructable inline the Ford 300 I6 fits the bill. But it's long at around 36"-38" water pump to transmission flange. It uses the standard SBF transmission so C4, AOD, toploader, T5, etc... all bolt up.

To help point you in a direction a hp/ft-lbs goal might be helpful. You want like 250hp and 350 ft-lbs? More? Less will do? Do you want the power in the mid range RPM and up or bottom end torque?

9. JCook5003

JCook5003

Yeah maybe I should say I'm not looking to set any landspeed records I want to build a fun reliable run the local shows with ride.....something I can build easily and on a budget (I am a master at finding bargains) to get me started in the right direction building rods since this will be my first build

10. JCook5003

JCook5003

Oh yeah my father in law has a sweet running ford 300 with a 4 speed of some flavor behind I could have for free in a truck with a broken frame

11. tjm73

tjm73

Bingo! Take that engine, trans and the rearend and go from there. You could probably NEVER break those parts in a modified like you are talking about.

And there is a group of guys at http://fordsix.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=dfcbf0c25a1d80c6936a9f0d7529f460 that love these engines. They are actully developing an aluminum head for the big six.

The 300 is very underestimated. It has a lot of potential. One guy built a 300 with careful planning and parts selection (nothing exotic at all) and dynoed it at 300 hp and 400 ft-lbs. All with a stock ported head.

12. There are lots of pics of Ashley Webb's roadster in an album on www.allshops.org

An inline motor makes life easier in some ways,but be careful
    on the overall proportions.Draw it out TO SCALE before going too far.

For a frame,check out http://www.the-antidote.com/frames/1home.htm

The frame rails can be bent to follow the outline of the body.

You might be able to get an old hood,and narrow it
    up to match the T body,create a nice shape.

A smaller motor,like a 4 cyl,needs less radiator,
    and less grill opening.So you can get a nicer shape.

13. Figure out what you like,and don't like,
    about similar cars,and design to suit.

14. Daniel Stohl had a Modified board,not sure if it's still going.

15. Ash

16. I don't think a sbc will fit up front by the grill as it barely fits inside the cowl area

[​IMG]

17. Jimv

Jimv

I was looking at mine and i think a hood will fit over it!! I have my alt down low(inside the frame) but it looks like it might work!!
    Would just need the radiator shell set up alittle differant.I cut down 32 would look wick'd pissah.
    JimV

18. JCook5003

JCook5003

So to get a look like Ashley's car an inline four would be in order? Her car is the look I am trying to create just inexpensivley and with the parts I have.

19. NostalgiaT

NostalgiaT

2.3 ford is also a good choice or also the old pontiac 4 one other oddball is the mercruiser boat motor there new 4 cyl uses a ford 460 head but has the old chevy II bellhousing so a powerglide ect will fit up to it. If you can get something that runs for next to nothing go for it. I have a old 305 out of a 86 trans am new cam and a used turbo 350 for 35 bucks and a 60 dollar touqure convertor used a vega one. I have more in my cam swap then the rest of the drivetrain.