Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help getting drums off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NostalgiaT, Jul 15, 2007.

1. NostalgiaT

NostalgiaT

Trying to get some drums off an old banjo rear end. they are frozen into place what is a good rust penitrant to use have tryied heating them put but havent had any luck with that so far

Any ideas or help will be apreciated

2. Do a search on "hub puller". This comes up every couple of months and there are a number of threads on the subject.

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

buy the hub nut from sacramento vitage ford its about $6.00 i think and get a big sledge. jack up one side of the car and smack it . i tried heat, broke 2 20,000lbs pullers and those stupid little nuts took 3 hits and they popped off. havent tried it with the rear end out of a car yet though so the positive pressure thing might cause a problem.

4. Back off the adjusters and use a slide hammer

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

,Wheel Knockers, for years sold by antique Ford parts suppliers as part number WK-4235, do the trick on stubborn hubs and on steering wheels as well. Just don't hit the knocker so hard to remove a steering wheel, usually just a couple taps do the job. The steering shaft and axle are the same threads. Just be sure and run the knocker down tight before knocking!

6. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I remember a post about releasing the brake shoes from outside the backing plates..If you have the style where you can unbolt at the bottom..then unbolt the wheel cylinder..Then a puller..makes it simple or should I say easier

7. TommyLeDouche

TommyLeDouche

I agree with brokenspoke, unbolt everything you can from the back side, there is also another adjustment mid way between the top and bottom of the shoe on the back side. See if you can't turn those too. Just went through this on my 36', after unbolting everything and getting a hub puller you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck

8. NostalgiaT

NostalgiaT

Thanks guys will check with Sacarmento Vintage ford and try the unbolting thing also. Trying to help my buddy to get this thing apart. one nice thing is it has a open drive conversion already so should make it a lot easier