Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT: Value on 80's BMX bikes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by newsithlord, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newsithlord

newsithlord

I know a lot of you guys are riders from back in the day. I have a 20" Hutch expert and a 24" Hutch cruiser. Both decked out with what ever was the hot tip back in the early 80's. Someone has offered to buy them both but I have no idea what to ask for them. I know I payed a pretty penny back then but how much is a 25 year old bike worth these days?

Thanks!
    newsithlord

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty much whatever you can get for it! I had a bike in the mid 80 that cost me $5,200, sold it in 2005 for $300!
    Old technology is just that.

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

No, some of that old BMX stuff brings decent money. I don't recall which one it was but my buddy sold his 80's 24 inch BMXer for more than he paid for it. ($450 I think)

You need to do some investigating on your bikes before selling them IMO.

4. John Denich

John Denich

5. all i gotta say is.. wtf.. lol

6. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I still have my Thruster Tri Power almost 30 years now, I see the frame and fork in very good condition are bringing $500, complete is a bit more depending on what cranks rims and hubs of course, I have seen NOS Hutch bear traps go for over $400 as well.

7. The Neophyte

The Neophyte
    from AZ

Hutches can be big bucks. Iv seen some in mint condition go well over a grand. It seems the u.s. models are the ones that get the $$$. If you have a nice set of hutch bear trap pedals, 3 piece cranks, hubs, bars or necks they can go for more than a whole bike.

This site could answer all your questions

http://vintagebmx.com/index1.htm

8. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Redline Flight Cranks,GJS,,old Thruster frames ( made in Jersey ,,break it get a new one ),,and SE

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Huge BMX fan here and I have to say you'd be better served checking vintagebmx.com. Though I don't understand wanting to suddenly unload a BMX bike you've hung onto for 25 years. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.