Register now to get rid of these ads!

Build a 36 ford before Paso what are you crazy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blue collar guy, Apr 24, 2006.

1. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

I agree with you 100%

2. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Uhhhh.... Put me on the list of those that think the headers are fucking ugly...

In fact I'll sign on with Grimlok (that's right!!! I SAID IT!!) and say they should be attached to a passing big rig with those chains...

I think James Hetfield rules for building a low-buck version of the Salinas 36 to fuck with his band mate...

Also he seemed like a pretty decent guy at Mooneyes.

So I guess if you consider the fact that the other Metallica dude has a 'DIFFERENT' 36 that has been on the HAMB a lot, I'd look at this one differently than if 'Joe Pabst' on the HAMB owned it.

Call me a groupie...

In fact, I gotta say that if it WEREN'T owned buy a guy in the same band as the guy with that pristine, SALINAS 36, the headers would have ruined the whole car for me.

...Now they kinda MAKE it... If that makes sense...

3. 1- shot slinger

1- shot slinger

The headers are definately not my favorite thing about the car...but they are a cool concept none the less...I think I'd like 'em a lot more if they didn't have that extra bend in the middle...

...anyway I've been a huge Metallica fan my entire life and if I ever did get to meet James of see one of his cars, I would get a little excited...but I'm pretty sure I'm adult enough to not go and track him down and ask for pictures and autographs. He's just a normal guy with a not so normal carreer...trying to have a normal hobby! Like I said I have never met him, but I know a few H.A.M.B.ers have, and plus he's in the BEATNIKS car club...so he's gotta be a pretty cool laid back guy right?

4. Here's a really bad pic of that sick '36:

[​IMG]

5. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Here is the deal I did build this car for James. But the reason I didn't say any thing about that is not what this post is about. It is about building a sick car in a very short amount of time. Witch we pulled off. I deivered the car Thursday night and James drove it from the Bay Area to Paso on Friday. In defence of the headers I need to post a profile picture with the hood on because they look beter that way. The hood needed a little to much work to get done before Paso. I have some more pictures to post but I have to get to work and clean up my shop. It is such a mess after the 4 week thrash. Thanks to every one that fallowed along with good or bad coments. Scott

6. Django

Django
    from Chicago

The hood will make a huge difference on the headers. Look forward to the pics.

7. donovandagger

donovandagger

god damn i'm hot in a circus clown with half cabs on kinda way.... and watch it with all that header talk... ima hater as well but i've heard rumors of james lurking the HAMB....

the next heidi??? doi!!

8. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

Donovandagger, I'll be in Sac in a couple weeks, I'm stopping by the shop. Hopefully the car and hood will be there....clown

9. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

scot it was good seeing you and congrats on makeing the dead line.

and i personaly thought it was prety damb kool james would have a low brow car built and DRIVE it to paso. and he's prety damb proud of the fact and the car.cruz he drove the shit out of it......wounder how many trailered cars he pased from frisco to paso.

drivem is what this shits all about.

10. mikaelmtb

mikaelmtb
    from Denmark

Just read all the post, thats an amazing job in a short time!! :)

I had my doubts about the headers as well, so looks forward to se a picture with the hood on!! And sure, they are different!

Good job on the build!! Thumbs up from me!! ;)

11. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Scott,

Congrats on making the deadline. I hafta admit that when I was at your open house a month before the show and heard and saw all that needed to be done and the state that it was in - basically an empty shell & frame rails - I really had doubts that it could be done in time.

I mean, to basically build the complete car, chassis, chop, drivetrain, electrical, etc. in a matter of weeks is crazy and I thought why not take more time - There's always another show?

But you pulled it off and not only was it together in time, but sorted out enough to gets it's own self from the bay area, down to Paso and back on it's own power.

Too cool - my hats off to you and also to James for having the balls to drive it that far with little or no shake down time.

12. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Thanks guys. It cool to hear from all of you. Here is a picture I took at my shop today with the hood on. I think what the plain on the headers is to build a new set that will fallow the lower line of the hood. The headers that are on it were made when the engine sat three inchs lower. So that should make it look much better. I will keep you posted. Scott

Attached Files:

13. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

just trade me cars already...then he can have the headers he wants and I can have a 36 :)

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

The hood helps, but yeah, the headers need rethought. What if they come out and flow down the fender to the lower door hinge?

15. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

if they get too close to the fender, you get heat and "plumbing" problems.
    too close to the hood, and they become an eyesore.
    scott, if I may make a reccomendation, follow the beltline of the car-every other line on the car has lines that are "too solid" and when they end,they do so abruptly. what you end up with is a play on headders instead of function and "artsy fartsy".
    that being said...scrap what you have and build a set. it's obvious those are headers for another car upside down. what is throwing them off is where the primaries pull up over the valve covers,then push out near the cowl.
    you can still use some of the parts ( the trumpets and flanges,) but the rest is pretty much scrap.

one last thing-remember that the drivers side cylinder head sticks out farther than the passenger side. this means do your mock up on the car.

16. sodas38

sodas38

As I'm reading this it almost seems as if most are complaining that you did something different and out of the norm, as if to say "My god why would you build a set of headers that doesn't look like everything else?" I commend you for trying something different. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I like the idea of you trying to create something from your "ideas" as oppossed to slapping on a store bought product. And this was done even with the time cruns.....even more impressive. Yaeh it's not a pristine build, but it's about as good as I've seen in that kinda time. Hell, if James likes it, you've done your job. I like it anyway.

17. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll man up and apologize for the chains and passing truck comment now. The headers still aren't my thing, but the idea makes a lot more sense with the hood on.

18. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

did anyone notice that those headers were already on in the first pic?
    did he build those or were they on the car already? not that it matters to me but just an observation.i personally like them,and can see they will look really good with the hood sides on.
    to each his own!

Attached Files:

19. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

I did not build the headers and I agree a new set should be built. But they wont end up to far from the headers on there now. Just a little lower and they will be hooked to an exaust system. Scott

20. sodas38

sodas38

In that case the headers look like hell. :)

21. donovandagger

donovandagger

awesome point.... things on the car have changed.....

4 weeks....

no time to build the perfect set...

CLEATUS!!! what a compliment to the shop!!! thanks!! on behalf of me and the other bc boys...

all the feedback is rad...
    VIVA LA HAMB!

22. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I didn’t realize this was James Hetfield’s car when this was posted (although I now see Scott mentioned it in the post). I saw the car and James interviewed on Hot Rod TV and thought.....Hey! that is the Blue Collar Custom’s car! Pretty neat.

Mike

23. OLLIN

OLLIN

that is one bad ass ride. Thanks for all the progress pics! I gotta agree on the headers though. Its a tough call, but those aint doing it justice. You could do lakes headers, but then it looks like speed addict's car.

Attached Files:

24. metwiz

metwiz
    from Salinas CA

If you guys want to see an updated pic of this car see page33of July '07 OSR coverage of CA Billet proff. It's parked behind James' grinch. I also saw some pics of it in the shop in the post of blue collers open house a week ago.
    I got to talk to James about the car at Paso last year, he was just another car guy hanging out at a car show. He did let my wife take a pic with me and the kids, he was very accomadating to me for the pic, and I was very thankful of him, I've been a fan for their intire exsistance.
    Scott, can you post any current pics to show us what a difference a year makes?

25. since someone took the time to bring this thread back from the dead,heres 1 from last years billetproof and 1 from this years s.f. rod and kustom show..enjoy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

What an ugly chop.

Oh well... at least one day it might be a faux-roadster.

27. Richard

Richard
    from Rocklin,CA

That car rules and you're a douche bag!

28. The Rocketeer

The Rocketeer

I´ve seen uglier chops than this one ! I think that one looks good.I love the sinister overall look of the car . Wait ´til it gets some shiny paint...someday?

29. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

sinister look? have something to do with metallica? might have something in common.

30. neverlift666

neverlift666
    from Sacramento

The new headers look a lot better, follows the lines of the car. The chop looks killer, even though I have no hope of even POSSIBLY fitting in it for a decent amount of time... especially from sf to paso. I don't care what anyone says, this thing is mean lookin'! I love how y'all decided to pick apart the car. I don't particularly love the exhaust, but it isn't heinous. It gets driven and I'm sure the owner loves it, so who cares? That car is fucking cool, it obviously gets driven and enjoyed. What else can you ask for?