Register now to get rid of these ads!

Off the wall budget build...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sharp21, Jul 13, 2007.

1. sharp21

sharp21
    from Spring, TX

Im in the planning/collection stage right now, looking to do T-style rod, using the slant 6 from my $200 volare...
    [​IMG]

I had originally thought of chopping & narrowing a fullsize cab for the body, but then got to thinking about using an s10 cab & just chopping the top, but leaving the width so it would be a lil bit more comfortable. Ive got a line on an $800 donor & would use the axle & whatever else I could as well. Sell the leftovers to make some $$$ back.
    Did a bit of searching & found one kind of like i was thinking, except I would do a proper radiator, as well as build a truck box for the back.
    [​IMG]

Id like to go this way, cuz i can drive the truck over the winter while im building the frame & motor, then strip it when the time comes.
    What do you think?
    S.

2. I thought that abortion died a quiet death years ago?

3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Do a T style or at least a pre 40s cab instead of that late model stuff. The late model stuff just looks like a hack job on what once may have been a huge pile of crap to begin with. Gene

4. Man you live in Alberta there are 30's and 40's pickups everywhere. I'm sure you could pick one up for way less than $800.00 and have a way better project on your hands. JMO

5. sharp21

sharp21
    from Spring, TX

Fair enuff...
    The trouble is ive been searching for steel for a while now, but it seems everybody & their dog is building a rod out here, so the asking prices ive seen are too high!
    Figured i would look at some other options, but ill just keep my ear to the street...
    S.

6. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

I'm all for off the wall budget builds. I'm getting ready to use a '68 Fiat 850 Spider as a donor for a build. The key is knowing where to stop with the donor parts. Engine, trans, rear end, maybe even the torsion bar front end on the Volare are fine. That chopped S10 is nothing but fugly, IMO.

Drive the $200 Volare over the winter and keep looking for a project. You'll be glad you did.

7. sharp21

sharp21
    from Spring, TX

Thanks for all the replies. I sure dont want to jump into a project thats gonna look like a pile of dog shit at the end...
    and i Have been cruising the country side, looking in all the fields for something I can use.
    S.

8. They are out there. I see quite a few in Southern Alberta and there are quite a few around Saskatchewan as well. Good luck with the hunt

9. sharp21

sharp21
    from Spring, TX

How would I use the front end on a Tstyle frame? I thought it pretty much had to be a straight or dropped axle?

Im down in Red Deer & make it into the country quite often. Just gotta keep my eyes open I guess...
    S.

10. I've got a pair of '48 Thames 1/2 ton pick up cabs with frames, front fenders,one hood and a few misc. parts. These have no rear cab panel as they were used to fab paneltrucks as well. Decent shape and a much better start than the S10. Come to Edmonton and get 'em for $900 Cdn.

Steve

11. gear27

gear27

Man I,m confused!!
    Still alot of bodies out ther just gotta look a little scored my 27
    T roadster in alberta 2 years ago.

Central Roadsters

12. NostalgiaT

NostalgiaT

I would use the whole volare drivetrain I have seen a couple of t's with a slant 6 motor one rat one a little nicer the rat had an old dodge brothers body. The mopar rear ends were fairly stout like the ford 9" and one plus is if you plan on using a buggy srping on the rear end then the pinion is centered in the axle unlike a 9" so it will center under the buggy spring real well. A volare rear end should be just about the right width also. Although I do have a S-10 under my bucket and it matches up with the 48" drop axle very well so ethier one will work I am kind of a use what is under your nose guy myself.

13. Moonglow

Moonglow

Check out the article on page 84 of Rod & Custom August 07 issue. Thom Taylor shows how to take less "desirable" (cheapo) '40s -'60s truck cabs in some really cool directions.

Cheap and cool don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Check it out.

14. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

My mistake on the front end, it works under other types, but wouldn't be right with a T. Then again, neither is the S10 cab. :D

15. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

This Is Just Garbage !!!!!

I Cant Believe This Thread Is Still Up Here !!!