Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do I remove inside door handles 54 f100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Upchuck, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

I have been rooting around and got one inside handle all chipped to crap trying to see how on earth them things come off, they appear to be similar to a mid 70's chevy truck but without the end of the clip sticking out to pop it off, this may seem a simple task to some but this has got me stumped:eek: :confused:

2. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

If I remember correctly.(unlikely)
    They have a pin going through the handle.
    If so,push back the auestchinn and with a 16penny nail push the pin out.

Does that help?

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Not really familiar with the trucks but do they have an inner trim you push in on to expose a small pin that you push thru? The inner ring is spring loaded and simply pushed back towards the door itself to expose the pin.
    Worth a look!

YEAH! Like the VAPman said!!! LoL

4. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

that how an f1 handle is held on but these handles (f100) don't have that pin, best I can make out it a clip but I can't see no way to get anything on them to pop them out

the 56 has a set screw on them

5. himmelberg

himmelberg

There is a C shaped wire clip that you must push both of the legs at once. Two small screwdrivers or one of the universal door undoer hootchies.

himmelberg

6. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

If it has the c-clip,wrap a shop rag around the handle,pull it real tight,the rag will catch the edge of the clip and pull it off.

Done that a million times,but hard to explain..

7. himmelberg

himmelberg

Vap's idea may work too... I can picture it, but not explain it

h

8. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

vapheads way would work on a GM clip but not these babies they don't stick out, had to sacrifice a tiny screwdriver to make an awl with a small hook and slide it at an angle to force the tip of the clip out enough to grab with another screwdriver I ground down with a square hook on it to get it out far enough to put a flat blade screwdriver between the clip and the handle to give it a turn and pop out, all the while holding a flashlight in my teeth and drooling all over myself in the process! but I got them off

thanks for all the replies!

9. brewsir

brewsir

Hey thats exactly how I get them off!!!! Sometimes I use a fancy circuit tester and stab myself in the finger while I am poking at the clip.