Register now to get rid of these ads!

What welder to buy ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Hyena, Jul 8, 2007.

1. The Hyena

The Hyena

I would like to start learning how to weld up body parts...
    freching headlights etc....

what kind of welder would you guys reccommend..

and where should i get it ??

p.s. remember im poor ;)

Thanks
    Mark

2. texrodder

texrodder
    from dfw,texas

Start out with a decent 110v like hobart,lincoln,miller,try to get one with gas(better results).I bought my small mig at Tractor Supply it was under $300.00,and works great for sheet metal and light gauge steel.Also look on craigslist/las vegas there are sometimes good deals there,you just have to act fast,good stuff goes quick.good luck
    here is a link to one like my small I bought at TSC ,prices went up some.http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/364820165.html

3. Brickster

Brickster

you said you were poor. so i'd go with a good oxy/acetlyne set up. you'll be able to do many different types of welds and when you're ready for a mig or tig the o/a set up will always have a place in the shop. plus being a good gas welder only helps when you go to start learning to tig.

brick

4. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

I went for the Lincoln Sp-135, the most powerful 110v mig; they sell similar welders at Home Depot and Lowes, but the amperage dials are clicks on the less expensive ones and the sp-135 has infinite adjustment on the amperage and wire speed. Do get the gas setup. I have used many welders and have had a lot of frustration with the wire feeds on the cheaper ones. Think the Sp-135 was like $529 over the net; the one in Home depot is like $320; the 2 units look similar but the weight difference is a good 20 lbs. Whichever you choose good luck and u won't be sorry!!

Gaspumpchas

"You can't mess with the law, Milner..." officer Holstein

5. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

Mine is a Lincoln Pro-Mig 140... Was around $429.00 last year and I got it @ Lowe's on E. Charleston & N. Boulder Hwy(Fremont St.)
    It has the highest output of all the 110V welders, and comes with the regulator and hose kit(tank not included) to use inert gas as well as flux core wire(included) Get the inert gas tank if you are going to be doing sheet metal work(cleaner welds, and less burn through)
    Have fun Welding soon!!!
    One thing, DO NOT SCRIMP ON GETTING A GOOD HELMET
    You only get one pair of eyes, keep 'em safe. I use a Hobart Auto Darkening one now... At work we had one of those cheap a$$ made in china things that didn't work so good and burned my eyes when the battery/solar thingy went out...

Lincoln's sales blurb
    Pro MIG 140
    Home projects and repair, sheet metal auto body work, farm and small shop welding — the Pro MIG® 140 designed for 120 volt household power does it all!
    Great arc starts make getting started easy.
    Wide voltage ‘sweet spot’ gives you a very forgiving arc, so setting controls is a snap.
    Wide 30-140 amp welding output range is the highest output in 120 volt input power welder class
    MIG weld 24 gauge up to 10 gauge (.135") sheet metal in a single pass. Weld up to 5/16" steel using self-shielded Lincoln Innershield® wires (FCAW-S).
    Unit Includes: Six spare contact tips, Gas and gasless nozzles, work cable and work clamp, Adjustable gas regulator and hose (for argon & Ar-blend gases)

6. devinshaw

devinshaw

I would go for the miller mig 130, with gas. It will do nice work on sheetmetal and is strong enough for heavier fabrication on frame's and brackets and whatever.

7. skratch

skratch

if you're poor.use a toarch.

8. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

Quite right, that is the least expensive way to start.
    Look @ Harbor Freight on Decatur by Home Depot or on E. Sunset just E. of Pecos near the Pep Boys I think...
    One set on sale less tanks for $119.99 That's cheap!
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92496

9. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

this is good advice brick,
    I started with gas when I was 13, then tig welding was easy ,
    a mig is faster on allot of things. but wait till you can afford a good one I love my little lincoln 175 around $650? from Lowe's. and you allway`s need a cutting torch !
    I have a extra victor supper range torch set in good working order Ill take 100 bucks for it , plus what ever shipping would be. pm me if your interested. Casey.

10. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I'm a miller mig man myself as I've had nothing but good experiences with these welders whenever I've used them. Right now I've got one similar to a Hobart and it welds extremely well too. My favorite of all time though, an Italian made Silver Beauty mig with gas, given to me by an old timer with a body shop that bought a new one, I really wish I knew who stole it and wher it went!

11. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

With a torch you can weld thin sheet metal, you can weld aluminum, Cut super thick steel. Heat stuff up to bend it. Heat bolts to break them loose. That would be my first piece to replace if all my stuff disappeared. Very useful.

12. rab71

rab71

Listen to what these guys are saying. I've used both MIG and ARC welders as well as small 110v flux core. But by all means don't cheap out you will regret it in the long run. I did that at first, and it really stinks when you spend more time grinding on your welds than actually welding...