Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pics of my T bucket chassie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NostalgiaT, Jul 7, 2007.

1. NostalgiaT

NostalgiaT

here is a pic of the tbucket I am building [​IMG]

2. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

looks like a good start, what style body are you putting on it?

3. NostalgiaT

NostalgiaT

doing a 23 body I have a old Bird body I dug out of a barn outside of KC MO Chatted with the guy that owned bird and it is around 40 years old and was never cut for a frame till I got it.

Looking for a old coupe body to put on it but the bucket body will work till that happens

4. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

looks good man, but is that tie bar going to clear your radiator? looks like you got the steering arms mounted upside down...

5. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

i agree

6. His chassis seems to be based on California Custom Roadster plans, which have been around forever. The tie rod doesn't interfere with the radiator -- there's plenty of room between them.
    [​IMG]

7. NostalgiaT

NostalgiaT

Yea your right on that one Goober they are CCR style arms as is the frame just streched it out a bit my old bird body is 5" longer then the ccr standard body so I streched the main rails 6" and added 4" after the kickup for a little more suppor for the 20" pickup bed I am using. Even with the CCR steering arms and the speedway front end setup the Tie rod sits over the front crossmeber so I have about 10" or so infront of the radiator Plans call for a small moon tank in the future but that is later after this thing is going.

8. Jimv

Jimv

can you post another pic of just the front end?I don't think its going to track right like that.
    Also it should have a Watts linkage on the back, not a panhard bar.
    JimV

9. NostalgiaT

NostalgiaT

well I know the ackerman is a lot closer then a lot of cars I have seen over the years I haven't done the final alinement on it yet but it is real clsoe right now have taken mesurments from the centerline and also frome various mounting points that I know are square to each other. Yea a Watt linkage might work a little better but with only 3-4" of travel that most buckts have the panhard bar will work find. I have used them In more then just buckets with plenty of sucess

10. Jimv

Jimv

the problem is with a T bucket is the narrowness,Just trying t help.
    JimV

11. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

i see that now. still threw me off a bit! heres a shot of mine, if you look back thru my posts and threads started you'll see a few more build pics incase you need ideas or inspiration....lord knows we all do at one time or another! best of luck man!

[​IMG]

12. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

jim, you got a watts on yours? not trying to contradict but mine seems to run great with just a panhard in the rear. do you have a front panhard?

13. Jimv

Jimv

i have a Watts on my rear & just friction shocks in front.I never had a panhard on the back, i was just told that theres not enough distance for a proper "Arc".
    A friend of mine is build a T & he had alot of prpblems with front end "wobble" & he put a panhard on the front.
    JimV

14. NostalgiaT

NostalgiaT

[​IMG]

Here is a side shot of the car dont have one of the body and radiator mounted on it yet but hopefully later this week

15. NostalgiaT

NostalgiaT

Hey Josh you need a panhard or a dead perch on the front espically if you have Cross steering to keep the bumpsteer down. Not as nessasary if you have a tradtional steering setup Like I do with a reveserd corvair box.

16. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

i do have a panhard on the front, it runs from the bottom of the perch to the lower right side 4 bar mount. (just hard to see in the pic!)

17. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

haha, well i got a panhard and no shocks in front! i guess there is more than one way to skin this cat:eek: i can see what you mean about the arc of the rear bar. maybe mine doesnt flex enough for me to notice, or maybe i just chalk it up to the "it's not gonna ride like a caddy" rule, but aside from being a little bouncy on some bumps it rides fine.

18. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

so whats wrong with a panhard rod on the rear ? Watts was designed for sprint cars not t buckets but they tried to place it there..

Dave

19. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

maybe the big deal is the idea that when the coilovers are compressed, the panhard is "pulling" the rear end to the side it is mounted from. perhaps a watts link would prevent this "pulling" by keeping the rearend centered.....

i am running a panhard both front and rear, if it is bad to run a panhard, then i wouldnt know it. it doesnt feel sloppy or anything. i would think the differences would be almost unnoticable.

20. Jimv

Jimv

The watts linkage on a narrow car allows the rear to move straight up & down.
    A panhard does exactly like someone said"it pulls to one side".A panhard travels in a arc so the distance at the top & bottom is differant from watts that travels up & down.
    You can get away with it on a wide frame but on a narrow one theres too much pull.
    JimV

21. budd

budd

how long should a panhard bar be on the rear of a t-bucket frame?

22. Jimv

Jimv

mine is only about 2 feet wide so it can't be too long!!
    JimV

23. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

actually, the watts linkage system was invented in the late 1800's by james watt to keep steam engine pistons moving straight... but whos keeping score?

24. Jimv

Jimv

I thought he was the one who came up with the saying"Up Doc" As in "Watts Up Doc"
    jimv