Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need to buy some Clecos, what size?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chad s, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Chad s

Chad s

I need to get some cleco's to help in aligning and fitting patch pannels. It seems 1/8" and 3/16" are most common, which size should I get? Do I need both? Seems like 1/8" would be most convenient, smaller holes to fill. When may I need 3/16"?

2. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I was just doing that same thing a while back, I wasn't sure either. I bought both (50) 1/8" & (50) 3/16". If I had to do it again, I'd probably skip the 3/16", the 1/8" do everything that I have needed the to do.

They are VERY handy, I have used them to death. I'm not sure how I got by without them. Others that have used them longer may have more input on the different sizes

Dan

3. tdoty

tdoty

1/8" will do just fine. I'm thinking (working from a fuzzy memory today) that the various sizes are to match up with rivet sizes. Clecos are primarily used in aviation, and why drill new holes for 3/16" rivets after laying everything out with 1/8" holes for the clecos?

Tim D.

4. texrodder

texrodder
    from dfw,texas

Stick with 1/8"(#30) unless you are working with larger than 20 gauge metal.I work in the avionics field by day cars the rest of the time and never see much need for any thing larger.

5. rooman

rooman

We use the 1/8" for pretty much all of our sheetmetal stuff. We keep the 3/16" for hanging mounting pads in funny car bodies and anywhere were are going to assemble with 10-32 screws such as dragster windshields etc. I also have some 5/32" clecos that I never seem to need.
    If you ever need to do any heavy duty clamping they also make a cleco style fastener with a wing nut ( or plain hex nut) tensioner. Those generally have a longer grip capability and we use them on the late model funny cars with honeycomb between the carbon skins.

Roo

6. Chad s

Chad s

Thanks guys, I'll get 1/8"

7. Mine are all 1/8"....but I mostly work with .040" aluminum.

8. I use the shit outof mine also. I think mine are 3/32. Also do yourself a favor and get some of the Cleco clamps too. Many, many uses for them. I'm a cheap bastard by nature and by far the best prices I found for them is Arcraft supply co. They have a website and you can order online.

Todd

9. I used to work in a body shop specializing strictly in Corvettes in the late 60's and the owner used Clecos to temporarily fasten body panels together while the resin set up.We'd lose a few every now and then when the resin seeped into them but they were cheap enough then(actually free;he had a friend that worked at Logan Airport).They were just long enough to reach through the panel and the bonding strip.

10. www.Yardstore.com has good prices on Clecos,
    and very good service.

I got 1/8,and an assortment of edge clamps.
    Don't forget the pliers.