Register now to get rid of these ads!

DFW TX people who lives in new neighborhood do ya get crap about your cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsleadolds, Jul 5, 2007.

1. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

Me and the the little lady are planning on moving actually buying a new home. How many of you live in new neighborhoods and have quite a few cars at your house. Dose the homeowners association give you crap about your cars. Its making me assume that I need to find a house with either a rear alley accessed garage, or find an older existing neighborhood. Im kind of sick of Dallas after my home invasion robbery the lady wants out. Ya'll know if mama aint happy nobodys happy.
    Anyone know if Irving has issues about the old cars. I'd hate to move somewhere then get code enforcement up my ass forcing me to sell the two 59's since there not too pretty right now, and not tagged. Im a city boy so the country isnt real appealing to me.

2. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I wouldn't move anywhere with a HOA. Too risky for them to decide they don't like your cars.

3. Big Dad

Big Dad

I left the city to those that prefer crime,traffic,noise..etc

4. Rusty

Rusty

I live in the country and have a home owners. They are pretty much in any newer type neighberhood. The only problem or complaint I have ever had was with my next door neighbor and he is the one with a racecar. All the rest of the neighbors come check my projects out and even sometimes lend a hand. But i turn them just as fast as I can too so they aint got much to complain about.

Rusty

5. snap too

snap too
    from lost wages

The crime stats in newer 'hoods isn't much better and most HOA's are jackbooted despots. The code enforcement people here are doing their best to wipe out any work outside the garage .Insurers are also in the mess .

6. Sigh. Sounds like you folks are getting Californacated.

7. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

8. heinz

heinz
    from CA

Man, leadsled, if ya move into a HOA hood, read the conditions real careful. Some are cool, some tell you what color you can paint your house, some demand you do not park in front of your place at all. I understand why you are moving, just know exactly what you are getting into. And not all new hoods have the HOA either.

9. rippintare

rippintare

AMEN

10. Big Tony

Big Tony

I suggest before buying a house to check and meet the neighbors and be straight with them, then decide. When i have done this the problems are fewer and far between and even then they talked to me and not some asshole with the HOA. Good luck man

11. Frank

Frank

Its pretty simple. Do not buy where there is an HOA. Aside from that, you really can't predict what code enforcement is going to do and if you get a neighbor who just doesn't like your cars, you'll get hassled anyway.

I would suggest a rear entry garage with a privacy fenced drive entrance. I have a nice long rear driveway and plan to put in a fence and gate across the back. It doesn't mean you couldn't still get hassled by code enforcement though if they know what you have behind the fence and a neighbor wants to make a stink about it.

12. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

Snap too do you live in Irving. Dont think I've been to lost wages Texas before. Hell I found one in irving in my price range with a 4 car garage/w attached shop I could give to shits about the house I'll live in the garage. If I get that one they all be inside.
    I've never had any problems in Dallas about the cars besides the code inforcement guy wanting to buy my 59. He had me worried as hell for a bit.
    Anyway I was just wondering I've heard some bad crap about some citys on project cars. I think Im gonna go with an older neighborhod just to cover my ass.

13. My solution would be to check the various town zoning codes and use that as the first basis to select a new home.

14. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I live in a 'hood with one...if I had known what it would be like I would have never done it. I would say don't if you can avoid it and I will never again do it.

I got a complaint about my broke down 51 Ford that was not broke down and I drove all the time (it was a primered car) being on my drive way. It never sat outside.

I got a complaint about leaving for a show at 6 AM in my merc about the noise. Several of you know the car, it aint loud.

A guy a couple of streets over was working on a numbers matching plum crazy hemi charger and was priming some small parts with a rattle can and got he EPA called on him. He was told he needed to keep his garage door closed because of the junky car in the garage bringing down the value of the 'hood...only time it was open was when he was in the garage. Like my set up it was a thrid bay with its own door.

The crap is endless...never mind the fact that the biggest jerk became president of the HOA so he could do things to his house that were against the rules and then quit as soon as he was done.

Never mind the fact you are not supposed to have basketball goals and they are everywhere. (They are temps, like the rules say, but they are supposed to be put up at night and not on the street).

Nobody complains about the Sea Rays and Cris Crafts, but cars are a no no.

The hemi guy also got a letter from the HOA president about running a business out of his house and having broken down cars on his driveway because one Saturday they took a tranny out of a 'maro, put the hood down on it for the night, finished it on Sunday morning situation. He actually put his house up to sell the following week and bugged out.

I really warn you against it. I average at least one hassle from them every six months and the dues go up more and more every year to pay for the soccer feilds and the swimming pools. Why we have the pools when almost every house has a pool I don't know.

They do nothing about the dogs crapping everywhere when the soccer moms take them for walks and not one word is said about all the RUB's with the HOG's in full leathers blasting pipes at 5 AM on Saturday morning.

15. 650hellcat

650hellcat
    from tejas

The house you want to look for is a house with a rear entry garage with a driveway that runs down the side of the house.

16. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Leave Grand Prairie off your list. That city is sad when it comes to code enforcement. Cedar Hill is good, never had a problem there. I made sure I could have no problems by moving out to where there is no code enforcement. Heck we only have 2 cops out here! A short drive to the city is not that bad.

Tim @ www.irrationalmetalworks.com

17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

See the background in this pic? I can make all the damned noise i want, have all the cars sitting around I want, shoot rabbits off of the front porch, Hell i even have to go out at night once in a while and shoot my 45 into the air to make the coyotes shut up so I can sleep! Like I said, ain't much to look at but beats the hassles of the city.
    [​IMG]

18. Vic

Vic
    from Florida

Here in Florida (Tampa area) the HOA's resemble the Nazi Party. The last one I lived in gave me crap about our cars all the time. We bought four acres in a community with only twelve home sites (yes, there is an HOA) however, when we bought I made sure that I could build an out building (garage) and I've had no trouble with them. You've got to cover your ass before you buy, that way they can't come back at you, unless they find something else to bitch about.

19. Big Dad

Big Dad

Green Acres is the place to be.

I live 20 miles north of Fort Worth

20. bigken

bigken

Brandon, my neighborhood has a 'volunteer' HOA. $25.00 a year, if you want, and have had no issues - yet. Garland does have ordinances about working in the driveway, untagged/registered stuff sittin' around, but this has been in the driveway all year, and not a peep yet. I really do need to cover it, though.

Attached Files:

21. tylerevansokay

tylerevansokay
    from D/FW, TX

Check out Mansfield if you can. There are a lot of guys here in Mansfield that own classics and customs... 3 in my neighborhood alone.
    Every Sunday at a fast food restaurant, there's a classics meet-up in the parking lot, and hey, it's like 20 minutes from Fort Worth AKA Cowtown. Can't beat it.

22. SASROD

SASROD

A few years ago Irving started cracking down on code enforcement. Basically if they can see the car and its not currently tagged, inspected, etc. it needs to be covered. Nothing is supposed to be parked on a non paved (or graveled) drive. Best bet is to be behind a solid fence so no one can see it (then i think its ok). If they get complaints or get some reason to start pickin on you, you better watch out, they will be relentless.

23. Slide

Slide

If the soccer mom is giving you a hard time, sneak over to her place late at night and put an old toilet in her front yard. Plant some flowers in the toilet, and flank it with some plastic flamingos and a gazing ball. Then report her bad taste to the HOA.

24. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

It's not Texas but I live in a HOA neighborhood. It's not bad at all. There are race cars, hot rods, muscle cars, street rods and a bunch of Harleys in the subdivision. Probably a half dozen cops too. Great guys for thr most part and most of them have some kind of hobby car. The HOA had an outdoor meeting next door a couple of years ago, and even promoted a neighborhood car show as part of the deal.

Best bet is read the restrictions and ask around the neighborhood before you buy. I've had guys stop and ask me about the HOA when they were looking at houses. At least you'll get the real story that way.

25. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I have no HOA but the city comes by a couple of times a year and harrases me saying someone complained.

Took me a few years to figure out that it is realtors doing this (fucking property pimps) whenever a nearby house is for sale.

I read the city code, complied and keep all of my cars. My advice is move away from the people, your cars aren't the problem - people are.

26. boozoo

boozoo

yeah, but you live in Slaton. That's a pretty damn high price to pay for that freedom.

just kiddin', of course. :D
    (from a former Hereford boy)

27. Rusty

Rusty

I have always said once you sgin the line it is yours. Just keep it as nice as can be and mowed and the neighbors will be happy

Rusty

28. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

wouldnt it be better to get on the HOA and actually be part of the decisions being made? dont really know how the HOA work but think if you had some say in what happens couldnt you work in some rules that aint so harsh on cars.
    i dont really get HOAs i would never live where they exist i mean if it my house you better believe i will do whatever the hell i want with my house. i see no point to them unless there are houses for sale on the street. i mean if you live in a nice neighborhood isnt the fact that the houses and property are worth more going to keep out people who want to have nothing but dirt in the front yard?

29. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

HOA were invented to keep people like us OUT!!! Don't temp fate there. Stay away.

30. roadracer

roadracer

dont risk HOA's. I got letters for my garage door being open at the weekend. I was told verbally that trashcans must be put away on trashday before 7pm (i got home from work at 8pm).

I moved, quickly. Shame you dont like the country, it's so much better even 5 miles outta town. Buy as much land as you can.