Register now to get rid of these ads!

If you were restoring an old Gasser...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rixrex, Jun 24, 2007.

1. rixrex

rixrex

Its a 51 Chevy hardtop, when I got it it was just framerails sticking out, no sheetmetal or hardware. the welds are all there and they look good. In the early 70s it probably ran an axle from an early 50s Chevy truck. I want to be true to the period but I also want to be driveable and safe. I'm thinking of just ordering an axle from the Speedway catalog, with disc brakes..Is this the 1-800 easy way out??..cost wise, can I restore an old axle with disc brakes and still not break the bank?.....

2. rdachsdog

rdachsdog
    from michigan

I'd check with some brake companies to see what the conversion parts would cost. My 54 Chevy pickup axle has been conerted to discs, rebuilt calipers were 20 apiece, rotors were about the same, the adapter brackets and bushings were around 80. Those are the prices the guy told me who sold me the axle. Kingpin kits were around 85 for my F1 axle. Pick up a classic truck mag and check out the ads.

3. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

since you said chevy gasser

[​IMG]

4. We running truck axles in our cars, the best way to go in my opinion.

Attached Files:

5. 650hellcat

650hellcat
    from tejas

How do identify a chevy truck axle? I have a GM axle in my car but :I have no idea what it came out of. Is there certain measurements or serial numbers used to verify?

6. 650hellcat

650hellcat
    from tejas

I have some pics-maybe someone can point me help me.

Attached Files:

7. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

You actually drive that? at speed? .the steering set up looks mad.But the axle looks like Dodge Van.I think the common ones in the mid sixties were econovan weren't they?

8. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

If I Were Restoring An Old Gasser .... I'd Be Running Drum Brakes !