Register now to get rid of these ads!

gasser straight axle help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eattherich, Jul 4, 2007.

1. eattherich

eattherich
    from Quincy IL.

Hey Guys and Gals I have a question about installing a straight axle in a gasser I hope someone out there has the answer. Does the shackles for the leaf spring go in the front or in the back? I have looked at alot of pictures and most are in the front. The chevy truck axle Im using the shackles were in the front but I have seen some ford trucks with them in the rear. What is the right way??????? THANKS

2. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

What's the right way? Good question. Many of the guys I talked to before I built mine said it doesn't make any difference. I noticed about 90% had them in the front. I also noticed most of the trucks, Jeeps, etc. designed by engineers Detroit also had them in the front. So, I put mine in the front! Works/rides fine. I always thought they looked better up front also. As always, JMO.

Bernie

3. TINGLER

TINGLER

Mine's in the front.

There are people who say one way is right and people who say the other is right.

I don't think its that big of deal.

4. toadfrog

toadfrog
    from Arkansas

6 of one and 1/2 a dozen of another...

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Over the years, companies have built cars and trucks with shackles on the front springs up front or behind. Many engineers ahve worked on these projects for many companies and no consensus was reached so both methods are acceptable.

6. 650hellcat

650hellcat
    from tejas

Some say the ride quality is improved if the shackle is in the rear. Its a popular conversion for the jeep guys.

7. They handle better with the shackles in the back. Just incase no one else has said that. With the shackles in the front you have ever changeing caster angle.

That said you can run 'em either way and they were run either way. So unless you are duplicateing a specific car it doesn't really make it wrong whichever way you do it.

8. turdytoo

turdytoo

I have never built anything with parallel leafs but....try pushing a wheel barrow over a curb, then try pulling backwards over the same curb. I liken the shackle in the back to backing...

9. riverrat

riverrat

put one side in the front, other side in the back. that way nobody will be left out.
    riverrat

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"They handle better with the shackles in the back. Just incase no one else has said that. With the shackles in the front you have ever changeing caster angle."

Just asking, P'n'B, but if the caster changes when a front shackle moves, howz come it wouldn't change when a rear mounted shackle moves? Seems to me, given an axle mounted in the center of the springs, any change in camber would be the same for a given amount of shackle movement, front or rear, but it would be in the opposite direction.

Also, long as I'm questioning, if the shackles mounted in the back of the springs would give better handling, why did the vast majority of manufacturers place them in the front? I would have thought somebody's R&D team would have tried it.

11. budd

budd

from what i have seen it depends on what side of your axle the steering box is on, my truck has the steering box in the back and the shackles in the front, i have seen others the other way around, steering box out front and shackles in the back.

12. oldtin

oldtin

I don't know why, but most of the factory set ups with the shackles to the rear are flat or reverse arched springs ex: 60-70s f250s and 4x4 chevys. The stockers with front shackles usually have more spring arch ex:jeeps and most early straight axle trucks.

13. eattherich

eattherich
    from Quincy IL.

It seems that we all agree to disagree but if the shakels are in the front wouldnt the frontend rise quicker for a better launch on the strip?

14. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Yep, sure would. Mine does anyways!

BTW, the caster will be "ever changing" with the shackels on the rear too, just as if they were on the front, only in the opposite dirrection.