Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR question(s)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris P, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Chris P

Chris P
    from Tucson

I wanted to know what size tubing you guys are using for your chassis. Is 2"x2" with a 3/16 wall heavy enough? Also what are the rules on multiple engines? Can I run dual banger motors?

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yaknow. . . thats an interesting question about the dual bangers . . . really gets the mind workin dont it?

tubing needs to be "NHRA" spec... otherwise known as "depends on the track"

rules dont specifically say wall thickness.

3. Chris P

Chris P
    from Tucson

what wall size is every one else running? Where can i find the NHRA specs?

4. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

5. 2 x 3 .120 wall is more than adequate... 3/16 is OVERKILL... and 2x2 would look odd as a frame rail.

Sam.

6. Yep, Rule #12 does seem to allow four bangers. And actually, Rule #12 says, "No exotic aftermarket inline six overhead valve heads (Wayne)." (See Rule #12 below)

It say nothing about exotic aftermarket inline four heads (Rajo, etc).:D :D :D

" 12. Flathead v8 or inlines, pre-1962 inline engines with stock cylinder blocks only. No exotic aftermarket inline six overhead valve heads (Wayne). No OHV V8s or V6s. (If you are looking to run a straight 6 with exotic heads or a flathead with an o/h conversion, contact Ryan for some good news.)"

The link with the rules: http://hambdrags.com/HaGr/rules.html

The introduction also says, "You will notice that our rules leave a little for interpretation. That's on purpose."

Now then.... I'm thinking a little harder about that that little flat four under my workbench..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like a plan ? Would ya run them side by side or one in the front of the other. Could be cool ....:)

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

side by each man . . . tie em via the flywheels :cool:

yaknow, in reality, it says nothing ANYWHERE about twin mill diggers. . . can of worms opened up maybe?

9. Chris P

Chris P
    from Tucson

I was thinking about this all today and trying to figure out how to do it but i cant for the life of me figure out how to do it. i thought of putting a wide gear on each motor and running a wide timing grear style chain between them but then how do i put a tranny on one? can i put the flywheels togther? if i did a belt or chain type set up the motors can run the same way but if i put the flywheels togther or something like that then the motors have to spin the opposite way.
    How did TV tommy do it in the quad engine beast or what about the challenger that mickey tompson drove i think that had 4 nailheads in it.

10. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

mount them so the flywheels mesh, then you need a cam made and a dizzy altered to spin one in opposition to the first. run a single trans off the standard rotation mill and you're set.

i DO recall seeing an old twin engine with a banjo rear that had two center sections on it for two transmissions. one of Roth's cars maybe? dont think it was a dragster... damn wish i could remember that one. pretty cool set up but WAY too much weight for a twin-banger rail to have two trans

yea, right... sounds easy dont it? :D

screw it, if it was easy they'd be building rods at the 711

11. 47bob

47bob

I've seen a small idle gear installed between flywheels so that rotation will be the same and a transmission mounted to one or the other of the engines. I'm thinking that tandem would be a lot easier to deal with. imho. .....Bob

12. I have always wanted an excuse to build something with side by side twin engines.... How long before someone official says not for HA/GR? :eek:

13. Godzilla

Godzilla

Several companies make a transfer case used for multiple engine tractor pullers. Keeps everything centered and each engine is has a clutch that can be disengaged, if one takes a shit.

If looking for cheap...belt drive off drag motorcycle (like on supercharger) to a live in-line drive axle with a yoke on it. You have to stagger then engines slightly with this deal.

I have been collecting parts for a sidewinder. Uses a street sweeper drive axle (old school). Good luck with your deal. Ron.

14. Chris P

Chris P
    from Tucson

Do you have any pictures?

15. Godzilla

Godzilla

They are called "combining gearboxes", they are a pretty common deal. You can find pictures of them used in multiple engine airplanes (clear back to WWII)...and boats where one engine turns two props. Your tractor pullers have them made of billet aluminum and can have up to three engines one one gear box.....or hook two of them up and run four engines with a common shaft.

16. Chris P

Chris P
    from Tucson

Well it has been a while since I posted this. Havent had much time to work on the HA/GR but have been working on the tudor alot. And now I would like to mabey get a start on the HA/GR. I have gotten some parts gathered up and have a front end rebuilt and ready to be put in and the rear end is almost done. And I have a frame. But now I need to work on the motors. I dont think I want to run the 2 banger motors side by side but rather in line. the mancillas brothers did it way back when. But i have never seen anypics of how they did it. Do you guys have any ideas as to how to do this. Here are some pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks, Chris