Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do we drive them?.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Firetop, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

I recently read an article in classic trucks magazine and it had an article called deluxe driver.A rodder in Cali who actually drives his machine everyday. I'm getting ready to buy an old truck for the same purpose-not a trailer queen but a driver. Lots of people I tell this tothink Im crazy to do this but those that can relate seem to be the have'm drive'm crowd. Seems like they are a minority group.This made me curious. How many of you guys drive your pride and joy everyday as opposed to making it a weekend warrior or just a garage toy? Just wondering....

turdytoo likes this.
  2. wvenfield

wvenfield

You will find that this has been covered alot here. Many (including myself) drive their cars everyday. Many others drive them in a fashion other than being trailer queens.

IMO the entire bottom line here is in driving you car, not just looking at it.

I can certainly understand not wanting to drive certain cars everyday but you'll find that a good percentage here drive their car if not everyday, at least alot.

3. turdytoo

turdytoo

Man, You really know how to hurt a guy. Your right. I'm guilty. Where did we get so distracted?

4. Jimv

Jimv

I do, i was driving to work everyday( before i was laid off), i drive it to go shoppoing, hang out, get coffee, anywhere.I have a "daily" but its been sitting for about 3 weeks since i last used it.If it rains i keep the T home.
    I build the car in 1998-99, registered it in June or 1999, had 2 seasons when i didn't use it( tough times) alot but i've put 40,000 miles on it since 99.
    JimV
    DRIVE IT TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!!!

5. hubcap

hubcap
    from phx

Its like being married to a beautiful woman and never "doin" her! Makes no sense to me.

6. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

As far as i can remember I was taught that these things were made to be driven. Its good to see people with the same thought.

7. i drive the panel everyday to work unless i ride my motorcycle. i did daily drive the elco for 6 years, now the panel (since the elco is apart). i don't own a new or newer car, the panel IS the newest at 1964........rain or shine or heat.

8. Gumpa

Gumpa

I am guilty of not driving ours. It has been in the shop going on 4 years now and I haven't got to drive it once. When and if I get it where it will run and be street legal I am wondering if I will take it out and drive it all the time or if I will get the paint and interior finished before we start driving it full time??? HUMMMM That is another thought for the day.

9. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

If I had to wait that long Id go loco(er).If it ran interior or not itd be on the road.

10. budd

budd

i only have the one vehicle on the road, same one for the last 2 years, 1945 GMC 1/2 ton, i have washed this truck 3 times sence i bought it, i polish the wheels more often with SOS pads, i`m running a 250 with a straight pipe and a 3 speed, for safety i run a duel master, i must be putting aqround 30thousand miles on this thing a year.

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Drive em. If they get dirty, Wash em. If they get scratched, fix em. It's sad that the topic has to be covered in magazines. "A rodder in Cali that actually drives his car everyday?" WOW!?! Sigh...

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

Well, I do wash mine alot. I like shiney things.

13. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

AN article about a guy who drives his machine, in Cali. Seems kinda stupid but then again its a legit article. Seems theres a large group who consider these cars just mere toys. As was said earlier, were did they go wrong???? It is sad that its an article in a mag. As I mentioned earlier, I was just curious about drivers vs parkers. Until a recent car show I hadnt seen any classics on the road here ..........

14. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

The article has shown up in one form or another in most of the mags in the last twenty years. You'll notice more and more of them out there on the road here. Speaking of which, welcome to Austin!

15. skincat

skincat
    from kokomo, in

whats the purpose of owning it if you don't drive it. just my opinion.

16. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Depends on where im going, Weather, and if im chasing parts...

I have 3 choices at the moment, Cruising, shoes, or around town it mostly my '55 chopped F~100 pontiac 4spd powered.

If its to get parts or actually need a truck or sometimes just cus, its my '55 F~350 dually flatbed.

OR somtimes i just go with my daughter.. in her daily (her only running car) in her '62 Ford Falcon.

BUT, when the Sport Coupe with the 6carbed DeSoto hemi is runn'in .. ill drive it to shows & sometimes just to drive it, Would drive it more... but i always have to hide from the cops cus its to fuckin loud.

Newest car at the house is my daughters '62 Falcon

17. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I am a daily driver kind of guy, but currently only one of my three (the
    '41 pickup) is under power. It did get driven six days this week (hasn't been out today, but I might need beer later). Gotta handle those need-to-fix lists and get the others back on the road......

18. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I daily my '63 Ford 20 miles to and from work. If that breaks, I take the model A body off the bed of my '60 F250 and drive that. If that breaks too, I walk. Those are my only 2 running cars right now. Once my '51 Ford is done, I'll drive the doors off that one too.

19. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

Thanks. Austin is pretty cool. It wasnt until I went to the Kustom Kulture show in March that I affirmed my belief that Austins Rod culture is alive and kickn some a**!!!

20. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Right now my car is off the road becuae I never had a change to drive it- plus being in New England, the winter roads just SUCK.
    Id drive the thing every day if I could- gets better gas mileage than my truck and is much more to look at :cool:

21. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

i bought mine as a weekend car, but it sees way more action then the "daily driver" does. the daily only goes to school because i dont trust all those punk kids that are still learning how to drive.

22. The Hyena

The Hyena

"I diddnt buy my car to shine it up every day"

quote me :)

i drive my 50 shoebox everyday, its my only car ....

23. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I flew to Joplin last March and drove a $2,000 '62 Suburban (283/4spd Granny/4.11 gears) home 1,000 miles on the back roads. In the year and three months I've owned it, it's been off the road for a total of four weeks: 2 for pulling the engine/gaskets/timing chain, 2 for totally rewiring it.

When it isn't on the road, my wife is driving me to and from work, because it's the only thing I've got.

Going by the mileage on the new speedo over the last two months, I've put over 21,000 miles on the truck since having it. That's right in line with what I've always put on my other vehicles, so I feel comfortable with that number.

Lining up a new crate engine this week, have a 4spd manual OD trans, and will swap 3.55 gears in it before driving it to Bonneville for Speedweeks.

Things like weatherstripping, a radio and an interior can wait.

-Brad

Oh, and for those who think you can't drive a car without A/C, I live in Atlanta...they've got these magical inventions called kick panel vents and vent windows...once the vehicle is moving a little bit, even on 95 degree days, the airflow actually works and you don't drown in your own sweat.

24. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I think you just summed it up nicely. I have my two toys, but I drive them both regularly to the store, work, school, whatever. I have gone weeks without using my daily driver in nice weather. I try to avoid rain but it happens. Most people think my daily 25 year old pickup is one of my hot rods too, it's pretty decent.

25. My everyday car's a 67 Grand Prix. My other cars get juggled as much as could be expected. I drive my hot rods every other day to lunch, or run an errand, etc. I try to NOT let anything set for more than a few days

26. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drove my 38 coupe as a daily driver for about 5 years until I sold it, was building my last car for another daily driver (28 RPU) but had to sell the project due to finances. Only ever had one car that wasn't a daily driver but 1800hp is a little too much for a daily driver.
    Thumbs up to anyone that drives em daily, thats what they are there for.
    Doc.

27. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I drive my 34 Ford 3 window almost every day. Right now, it needs a wash bad, but I don't care - I'd rather spend time working on my projects. In my opinion, if a guy is afraid to take his rod out because it might get scratched, he should look for another hobby.